Opinions?

My boss is looking at purchasing some iPaq rx5900 travel companion PDA's for our field staff, and has asked my opinion. I don't know much about them. Does anyone have experience with this unit and /or Tom Tom software?

I use one for work all the time. I love it. I can keep my notes on the Travel Companion, along with calender and everything. It's a PDA and a GPS all in one, now that I have it, I can't live without it!! The battery however is short lived. I don't recommend using it for Geocaching, I'm having a difficult time with it. Does anybody have any suggestions with using the HP Travel Companion with GPS (TomTom)?

It's handy if you use a PDA and for travelling around on roads. The TomTom software is definitely no good for off road use. Get a proper handheld GPS for that.

Also, although fairly useful for travelling in a vehicle, TomTom's North America map is out of date. There are some major routes in my area that have changed considerably in the last bunch of years - TomTom still has the old routes, while Garmin's CityNav 2008 has the updated routes.

So, in short, if you are looking for PDA funcionality, coupled with a need for a GPS for on-road work, the rx5900 is good. If you want a PDA but will be working off-road - get a PDA plus a handheld GPS. If you only need the GPS, get something else (Nuvi for on-road, handheld for off-road).