Logging an Event Cache

My opinion is that you should log your event cache if you attended. I have gone to events where the event host/hider did not show up because they were sick or had a family emergency to take care of. So it is clear that it is possible to not attend your event. If you can not attend your own event then you must be able to attend your own event as well - and you should log it.

The argument for not logging your own event is based on the argument that you should not log find on your own caches. You hid it so what is there to find. I have a problem seeing how this applies to events. I also have a problem of misrepresenting the purpose of the find count on geocaching.com. The use of find/attended logs is for you to keep track of the caches you found and events attended and to provide a way to share you experience with the cache owners and the rest of the community. The purpose is not to have a contest to see who has the most finds. Some people insist we need clear rules as to when to log find or attend or else someone will cheat and have an unfair advantage in the find count. They are imputing a reason to the online logs that isn't there. Sure, we like to look at a persons count and congratulate them on their milestones and maybe we have a friend competition with a local cache as to who can reach a certain number first. But worrying about where someone is in the "unofficial" standings because they log their own events (or even their own cache) is silly.

The use of find/attended logs is for you to keep track of the caches you found and events attended and to provide a way to share you experience with the cache owners and the rest of the community. The purpose is not to have a contest to see who has the most finds. Some people insist we need clear rules as to when to log find or attend or else someone will cheat and have an unfair advantage in the find count. They are imputing a reason to the online logs that isn't there.

Wonderful! Thank you oh forum yokozuna.

I'm on the other side of the fence. I don't log an attended at my events because I hosted the event. I get an icon and count in my OWNED side, which reflects accurately IMO.

To the OP - you asked two questions:

1) CAN you do this? Yes, the system allows you to

2) SHOULD you do this? There are two camps. Neither is right; they just have different opinions

Did you attend the event? If so then log it. :unsure:

Event caches are all about being there and interacting with you fellow geocachers. If that is what you did then you have earned a smiley.

The angst is more directed toward those who log the caches they hide. What is the point in logging a cache that you hid in the first place?

Edited by Rupert2

Would I? The point is moot, since I've never hosted an event, and probably never will. But, no, I don't think that I would. I don't log my own caches. (Not even if someone moved the event and hid it in a different spot!)

Despite the fact that I harassed a local cacher for logging his event as a milestone :unsure: , common concensus is that events may be logged by the hider/host.

I happily log mine when I attend. I feel it is accurate to do so.

I'm with her.

It's a personal choice.

I host events as often as I can and it's usually a bunch of work. About a hundred people showed up to my last White Elephant Event and I was done in after it was over.

In my not so humble opinion, as host you deserve both stats.

I would log my own terracaching events, but it's impossible to do so in that system.

Without dragging another topic into this - isn't that like saying that you should be able to log other caches (pocket caches, Terracaches, etc.) on this site as well because you deserve it?

I don't care that people do - no harm to me - but I question the logic used to support it...?

Event caches are all about being there and interacting with you fellow geocachers. If that is what you did then you have earned a smiley.

This is a HUGE misconception. The smiley isn’t something you ‘earn’, it merely represents that you found a geocache.

Be that as it may, it has never been considered inappropriate to enter an attended log for your own event. I don’t log events as found or attended.

Without dragging another topic into this - isn't that like saying that you should be able to log other caches (pocket caches, Terracaches, etc.) on this site as well because you deserve it?

That's a stretch. :unsure: Since I don't log caches from other sites here, nor pocket caches uhhhh, NO. :blink:

I don't care that people do - no harm to me - but I question the logic used to support it...?

You're entitled. :o

Ok, one last question (so I can understand, I'm not trying to debate you on this).

You say that since you worked your butt off on an event, that you deserve the smiley.

If you work your butt off on a really hard cache, or a Terracache, wouldn't you also feel that you deserve a second "tick" for that, too?

I really am trying to understand the thought process. Maybe I'm putting too much into the words you chose.

In any case, for the OP, as you can see - it's really your choice. :unsure:

Ok, one last question (so I can understand, I'm not trying to debate you on this).

You say that since you worked your butt off on an event, that you deserve the smiley.

If you work your butt off on a really hard cache, or a Terracache, wouldn't you also feel that you deserve a second "tick" for that, too?

I really am trying to understand the thought process. Maybe I'm putting too much into the words you chose.

In any case, for the OP, as you can see - it's really your choice. :unsure:

If you're referring to my response, maybe I wasn't clear: Since I'm hosting the event, I don't log "attended" too. It doesn't matter how much work you put into a regular cache, you don't log a find on your own, do you? I don't attend my own events since I'm hosting them.

Obviously not since I don't do that. I have a complex personal geocaching philosophy which was once published in the online version of Today's Cacher. I don't need anyone's approval to validate it. It's mine. I'm my own harshest critic.

"Everyone plays their own game. There is no sense in trying to police another's mindset as long as it falls within the general parameters of the game." Me (quoting myself from the poll that I posted on 10/23/03.)
Nobody was asking you to validate anything.

:) Really? I said I feel I deserve it and you want to understand why..... To me, that's a request for validation.

Instead of arguing like a lot of these threads do, I was trying to understand your train of thought.

Forget I asked.

Not arguing here. Just standing my ground and trying to be consistant. I didn't take anything you posted as a personal attack, nor do I feel I pushed back at some percieved attack. Sorry if you percieved it that way. :)

My opinion is that you should log your event cache if you attended. I have gone to events where the event host/hider did not show up because they were sick or had a family emergency to take care of. So it is clear that it is possible to not attend your event. If you can not attend your own event then you must be able to attend your own event as well - and you should log it.

The argument for not logging your own event is based on the argument that you should not log find on your own caches. You hid it so what is there to find. I have a problem seeing how this applies to events. I also have a problem of misrepresenting the purpose of the find count on geocaching.com. The use of find/attended logs is for you to keep track of the caches you found and events attended and to provide a way to share you experience with the cache owners and the rest of the community. The purpose is not to have a contest to see who has the most finds. Some people insist we need clear rules as to when to log find or attend or else someone will cheat and have an unfair advantage in the find count. They are imputing a reason to the online logs that isn't there. Sure, we like to look at a persons count and congratulate them on their milestones and maybe we have a friend competition with a local cache as to who can reach a certain number first. But worrying about where someone is in the "unofficial" standings because they log their own events (or even their own cache) is silly.

I did.

And I would again if I ever host another event.

All the talk about columns and categories is crap.

Caches are hidden, and you have to find them. If you hid it, you can't 'find it'.

Events are held, and you either attended, or you didn't.

I'm about as obnoxious of a Puritan as you'll ever find. :) I logged an "attended" for the only event I've hosted. I don't see a problem with it. You certainly won't see anyone calling for your head on a platter as you would if you went to an event in Wisconsin, and logged it 54 times or something. :)

Seriously though, a personal choice, and you can see the various opinions posted here, and hopefully they'll help you make a decision. As has been said, neither choice is right or wrong, and the website does "allow" it.

It is a personal decision for the host as to whether they log it as attended and should be nothing more than that.

1. An event is not a geocache.

2. It is common practice for attendees to log and event as Attended which increases the cachers' find counts by one for each Attended log.

3. It is an accepted practice to log events as Attended.

4. It even has its own icon. One that represents attendance and does not resemble the Fount It smiley.

Therefore: Since attendees may log a non-container geocache find for attending an event, it makes no difference, whatsoever, that the host of the event logs it as found too. An Attended log does not equate to a geocache find.

Anybody who gets upset by a host logging their own event as Attended is looking for trouble where it does not need to be found. I suggest that they stick with the huge elephant in the room (but not in this topic).

Attended log does not equate to a geocache find.

Attended logs do increment your geocaches Found count, the log type has it's own icon but they are counted as a find in the totals.

I log Events that others host using the Attended log, when I host Events I use the Note log. I do this with CITO's as well, I have actually never attended a CITO but I have hosted a few. ;)

The Note logs do not increment your find count.

I don't worry about this detail much, in geocaching there is always an exception and hard and fast rules don't work in most cases. Whenever I see a geocacher touting something like one GC number = one find I know they have never encountered a Moving Cache or a monthly Event where the listing page is recycled. Someone pointed out the case of an event organizer getting sick and not being at the event at all, excellent example of the exception!!

I think the words themselves lend to the confusion.

If they called it "Organized" instead of "Hosted" then many more organizers might "Attend" the event. If they changed it from "Attended" to "Responded to an Invitation to Attend" then many more "Organizers" might not use "Responded to the Invitation" log type.

As long as you are comfortable with your decision and are able to respond to the inevitable critics then your choice is yours.