Free maps, where do i get them?

FlagFinder

And how would I load said maps into a Garmin 76csx? Do I have to "turn on" the maps once they are loaded?

There are a couple of utilities that will send them to your GPS. One is sendmap - I believe you can get it from www.cgpsmapper.com.

You don't have to "turn on" the maps once there're loaded but note that loading them will erase whatever maps you have currently loaded. If you use Mapsource there are ways (both by hand or with a software utility) to integrate these custom maps into Mapsource - this makes it easier to load the custom maps PLUS other mapsets at the same time...

Indy

And how would I load said maps into a Garmin 76csx? Do I have to "turn on" the maps once they are loaded?
That's the part most misunderstood.

ALL Garmin maps are held in a "container" file and depending on the hierarchy of your loaded files you will/not have to turn on/off various maps if you want to see lower maps. The container has the exact name: gmapsupp.img and is always in the folder Garmin on your SD card. Since you can only have one file with that exact name, that's the reason you must decide which map files you want to have loaded at any point in time. Clearly, this protocol is baggage from when GPSr's only had ~32MB of internal memory for map storage. Today with 1GB as the base memory, its a standard long overdue for change.

Hermit

I do not have any extra maps loaded into my 76csx. I only have the basemap. So if I load one of these extra maps, the basemap will still be there too?

YES, the basemap is an exception, it will not be erased when loading a map set.

Edited by IndyJpr

I do not have any extra maps loaded into my 76csx. I only have the basemap. So if I load one of these extra maps, the basemap will still be there too?

No, the basemap is an exception, it will not be erased when loading a map set.

Phrased wrong. The answer to the question is: Yes. The basemap will stay always.

If "be there" = "remain in firmware and not be overwritten by map uploads" then yes.

if "be there" = "remain visible on my GPSr screen", then no if

A: the uploaded mapset covers the area you are looking at; and,

B: the uploaded mapset is turned on in map setup.

Thank you for the clarification. I assumed the basemap would always be visible, and the loaded map would be "on top" of the base map and would be visible. So I assumed both would be visible at the same time, if turned on.

If they were both visible at the same time, you would see two versions of the roads. The detailed maps are, wel,l more detailed, so the roads show up more accurately.

Anyway, you can turn maps on and off from the map page using the map setup option.