We're everywhere

PDOP's

I am actually quite surprised that merchandisers did not pick up on the marketing potential a long time ago. Ask anyone who has a GPS that does not know about geocaching where there unit is and 9 times out of 10 there not sure.

This kind of advertising should be great for impulse sales.

JM2C

I copied this from their section called How Does it Work?

Does Geocaching have any rules?

There are three basic rules:

1. Take something from the cache.

2. Leave something in the cache.

3. Write about it in the logbook.

There are no rules about where you place a cache.

I don't think Parks Canada would be too happy to see this bit about 'There are no rules about where you place a cache' :) .

Some ad exec should do more homework before their words appear in a print ad :) .

That's not good.

Certainly groups like Parks Canada know better, since we have talked with them already but there is a potential that countless people may see this and cause issues in areas that may not know the true rules and guidelines of our activity.

Personally I don't think much will actually come of it (remember the Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode that claimed we bury caches....?) but I did send a complaint to The Source through their web site requesting they change the text.

Store Location = Web Site

Employee who served you =

Response Method = Email

Query = As found on your Website regarding GEOCACHING... http://www.thesourcecc.com/sitelets/geocaching/howWork.htm

"There are no rules about where you place a cache" is totally incorrect. We Geocachers have many rules about where caches can be placed. We are a respectful group that observes property rights. Please correct your page as it makes our activity look badly.

Then I added a link to the listing guidelines and selected text from the guidelines.

You can email them directly at online@intertan.com to report issues with their site. The more of us that send a quick note, the more likely they will change it.

:) The Blue Quasar

Please correct your ad regarding the placement of caches. They must be placed with the permission of the property owner and usually the property owner (even public parks have a property owner called the taxpayer) has specific rules for cache placements. Where no such rules are in place caches still need to be placed with respect for their environment and where they will not cause or encourage damage. Geocaching is a wonderful sport but poor cache placement and misinformation like this reflects badly on our sport.

Kathleen

Girls Phind Squirrels.

Sent tonight. Love this game. Don't want anything to reflect badly on us. :)

Actually, the ad is not really wrong. If you check the geocaching.com pages they are actually state only 'guidelines' not rule. Even where the give a guideline, such as no burying they state you can if permission is received. So there are no real rules by geocaching but by landowners.

But, frankly, rather than picking on one phrase out of three pages of very positive info, I think we as a group should be very happy that a retailer is trying to embrace our sport and give it a boost. Sure, give them information, but keep them on our side and try to avoid the snide comments like 'don't give a fig' because its clear that they do.

A bit of overeaction folks.

JD

For the most part this seems to be very well researched and written. Of course it would be better if the "no rules" part was removed, but they got it right here.

How up to date is the list of active caches?

When a new cache is submitted to Geocaching.com it can take up to 2 days to appear on the cache list: they most often appear sooner. The process of verifying a cache involves volunteers checking the submitted cache page for accuracy of information, coordinates and appropriateness before it appears. When everything checks out that means it’s time for even more Geocaching fun!

Now if we still want to nitpick, this next part isn't quite right either. But not that big a deal. It really could have been much worse.

What is the life span of a cache?

That’s up to the cache owner. Some are temporary, others more permanent. If you find a cache and it’s in poor physical shape (or if it’s gone missing!) you should let the owner know its condition.

Is anybody going to thank them for the 98% that was well written?

I don't think Parks Canada would be too happy to see this bit about 'There are no rules about where you place a cache' <_< .

Some ad exec should do more homework before their words appear in a print ad :blink: .

Looks like it's fixed up. I couldn't find any references to "no rules where you place a cache".

http://www.thesourcecc.com/sitelets/geocaching/howWork.htm

Scott

I don't think Parks Canada would be too happy to see this bit about 'There are no rules about where you place a cache' :rolleyes: .

Some ad exec should do more homework before their words appear in a print ad :huh: .

If you want to get picky about it, there really are no rules, other than the law, as far as where I can place a cache. If I wanted to, I could go out and place a cache 10m away from an existing cache, on a highway overpass, next to railway tracks, filled with knives, buried in a planter, in a used peanut butter container. I just (likely) couldn't get it published on geocaching.com. I could however place it, and publish the coordinates privately, or on usenet or whatever, and the worst I could likely be charged with is littering.

(Note the above actions would be stupid and irresponsible...don't do it)

I am actually quite surprised that merchandisers did not pick up on the marketing potential a long time ago. Ask anyone who has a GPS that does not know about geocaching where there unit is and 9 times out of 10 there not sure.

This kind of advertising should be great for impulse sales.

JM2C

I kinda have to agree. I am using my Dad's GPS to see if geocaching was a passing fancy in the fall or am I crazy enough to do it all the time. Can't wait for my birthday 'cause everyone is giving me money to buy my own GPS. I'm addicted.

Guiderchachi

I am a teacher in a lower socio-economic area. I wanted to take my class geocaching, and have, but needed some units. I drafted a donation letter and sent it to parent council, Best Buy, FutureShop, Canadian Tire, Garmin, Magellan, and the Source CC. The most shocking answer I got was at the Source who told me "We don't do community involvement stuff, it just doesn't make good business sense". As I was leaving the owner called me back in to ask more about geocaching and why I wanted a GPS unit in the classroom. I hesitated but explained it to her - she said "huh - yeah - sounds great - still can't help you". I think it is ironic that they are now promoting their GPS units and toting geocaching as such a great hobby when they don't actually want to be a part of the community. To be fair, I know they are individually owned and operated, however, when you are a brand name you have a responsibility to at least refrain from laughing in a potential customers face.

We have since fundraised by selling our organs, I mean hot chocolate, to buy a single unit from Garmin. Can't wait to take my kids back out in the Spring to place our own cache.

flame

Just noticed this (link) on the current email/sale. Looks like we're becoming more mainstream all the time.

Too bad, really. :D

I kinda like keeping quiet about it.

I agree in some ways. It is good for those who can be trusted to enter the community. But there are some who start who are not the desired people for this community we've created. Of course many of us have not been a monumental part yet, but we all know of the work that has gone into this sport to make it fun.

Then again, you remember how you became a geocacher, and are thankful that someone told you (or how ever else you became a cacher). We can't pick and choose, but if it is less public, then it can be more controlled. Sorry that the above isn't very clear. My brain isn't working properly.

And at least get the rules right.