Wyoming 2007 coin

wyohunter

OK. This is my first attempt at designing a coin and I do know the history but, I designed a new Wyoming 2007 coin. I did this with several other Wyoming cachers looking at it. No it was not everyone in the state but I got a few opinions. Knowing the history (I read the entire saga) behind the first one, I did not want to tackle this on my own, so Oakcoins (thank you Sara!) has agreed to do this for me. These are the drawings I sent to them but I do not have the artwork yet. I will post that as soon as I get it.

f352a2fb-cd2a-4db8-903d-7911b6eca1ed.jpg05297740-651e-4e5b-91e8-5688fd6ff289.jpg

Hope everyone will like this coin! :(

Edit to say yes it will be trackable and change the Pictures.

Edited by wyohunter

OK. This is my first attempt at designing a coin and I do know the history but, I designed a new Wyoming 2007 coin. I did this with several other Wyoming cachers looking at it. No it was not everyone in the state but I got a few opinions. Knowing the history (I read the entire saga) behind the first one, I did not want to tackle this on my own, so Oakcoins (thank you Sara!) has agreed to do this for me. These are the drawings I sent to them but I do not have the artwork yet. I will post that as soon as I get it.

e5847999-e4e8-451d-aa11-6d40cfd00042.jpg3fd5cd46-8f1d-4792-bfb6-a88ed177e2c4.jpg

Edit to say yes it will be trackable

Do you have a bigger image and is the entire coin goinf to be silkscreened?

Edit to say yes it will be trackable

Do you have a bigger image and is the entire coin goinf to be silkscreened?

Actually the image was bigger, not sure what happened. I will keep trying to get a better one. And not sure about finshes yet want to see how the mountains look.

Edited to remove the ppictures in the wrong order

Edited by wyohunter

Good luck :( , it would be nice to see the stigma erased from Wyoming by having a great coin produced.

I agree. It will also be nice to see them all get delivered! I was one of those who was pretty vocal with my complaints during the Wyo-fiasco. While this wouldn't replace the problems all of those folks went through, it would go a long way in helping geocoin enthusiasts think of Wyoming in a more positive way.

Best of luck with the project!

As one who never received the coins ordered and paid for... I like this one, especially the square aspect!! I would be interested in a couple!!

Basically I have let go of the previous coin issue, but still want a Wyoming coin! I really enjoyed my last caching trip through the state, and am looking forward to another sometime soon.

b859ce56-5494-4d58-a817-7e532dc1fe9a.jpgf352a2fb-cd2a-4db8-903d-7911b6eca1ed.jpg

Does this make anyone else recall the classic scene from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” where Richard Dreyfuss sculpts the Devils Tower out of mashed potatoes?

(I’m referring to the first release of the film – I haven’t seen any remakes.)

The following extract about the film from Wikipedia might amuse geocachers:

“The coordinates for Devils Tower in Wyoming as given in the movie are incorrect. Devils Tower National Monument is located at 44°35′26″N, 104°42′56″W, while the coordinates in the film, 40°36′10″N, 104°44′30″W, point to a small farm outside of Ault, Colorado, a discrepancy of almost 300 miles.” :anicute:

Just as well they weren’t placing a cache! :(

Does this make anyone else recall the classic scene from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind” where Richard Dreyfuss sculpts the Devils Tower out of mashed potatoes?

(I’m referring to the first release of the film – I haven’t seen any remakes.)

The following extract about the film from Wikipedia might amuse geocachers:

“The coordinates for Devils Tower in Wyoming as given in the movie are incorrect. Devils Tower National Monument is located at 44°35′26″N, 104°42′56″W, while the coordinates in the film, 40°36′10″N, 104°44′30″W, point to a small farm outside of Ault, Colorado, a discrepancy of almost 300 miles.” :anicute:

Just as well they weren’t placing a cache! :D

They were probably using a __(insert GPSr maker of dislike)__ to get their coords!! :(

B):anicute:B)

That was one of my all time favorite movies. So, I'll have to get one of these coins just for that simple fact. (Devil's Tower)

50 bonus points for namimg the soap opera that was on TV as he finishing the huge sculpture in the livingroom AND 100 more for naming the product in the commercial right before the news break anouncing the fake military train crash!! :anicute:

^^A litttle something to test your memory^^

First person to PM me the correct answer for both gets a "Crappy Cache" coin. :)

Let's Keep On Topic :anicute:

DO NOT POST GUESSES ON THIS THREAD! (You'll be disqualified! :( "PM's to Me Only")

D-man B)

I warned Wyohunter initially when he told me he was going to do this coin about the stigma associated with the last Wyoming coin. He indicated that not only was he aware of the problems but wanted to do something to give our fine state a better name. I support him wholeheartedly and at the same time gave him my opinion that I like metal better than color and that 3D on both sides would be terrific. I also told him that I wasn't fond of the square shape, not realizing that it is in the shape of the state. Seems like most comments so far are totally in favor of the square shape! I'm very anxious to see this coin come to being and want to have a few. Good luck, I'll be watching this thread. Oh, by the way Wyohunter, are you going to the event on Saturday? Hope to see you there!

Have to agree with the two posters above the previous one: 3-D on this would be outstanding! Take a look at the California geocoins, with Mt. Whitney and Death Valley, and you'll see why 3-D would be spectacular for this coin. We'll definitely be interested in this WY coin.

Edited due to taking to long to type the original post and thus letting someone else sneak a post in :(

Edited by chaosmanor

I warned Wyohunter initially when he told me he was going to do this coin about the stigma associated with the last Wyoming coin. He indicated that not only was he aware of the problems but wanted to do something to give our fine state a better name. I support him wholeheartedly and at the same time gave him my opinion that I like metal better than color and that 3D on both sides would be terrific. I also told him that I wasn't fond of the square shape, not realizing that it is in the shape of the state. Seems like most comments so far are totally in favor of the square shape! I'm very anxious to see this coin come to being and want to have a few. Good luck, I'll be watching this thread. Oh, by the way Wyohunter, are you going to the event on Saturday? Hope to see you there!

Thanks Rubicon! I will keep you guys informed! I hope this redeems our fine state!

OT: Yes I will be there, Hope it doesn't snow too much so you can make it too!

Oh sure, use my coin for one of those great coins! :anicute: At least now I know who made it. Anyway. I am going for the color, But might have the back 3D depends on what they dome up with.

:anicute: Oh, I didn't make them! HONEST! I just did the art, posted it here as a joke. :anicute:

I got some for donating the art to the anonymous maker. (I'm still not POSITIVE who they were. :( )

"I think" that your coin would look better if you reduce the border on the Devil's Tower side and add an equally width one to the other side. Keep most your text in the border and have the mountains & the Devil's Tower in 3-D with your "From - To" quote inserted into a ribbon across the bottom of both 3-D images.

(Just some suggestions :anicute: )

D-man :(

Edit: to clarify which side I was talking about. (The pics are switched on the later post from the first one, didn't want to cause any confusion)

Edited by gridlox

:anicute: Oh, I didn't make them! HONEST! I just did the art, posted it here as a joke. :anicute:

I got some for donating the art to the anonymous maker. (I'm still not POSITIVE who they were. :( )

"I think" that your coin would look better if you reduce the border on the Devil's Tower side and add an equally width one to the other side. Keep most your text in the border and have the mountains & the Devil's Tower in 3-D with your "From - To" quote inserted into a ribbon across the bottom of both 3-D images.

(Just some suggestions :anicute: )

D-man :anicute:

Edit: to clarify which side I was talking about. (The pics are switched on the later post from the first one, didn't want to cause any confusion)

Actually, The front is The Devils tower, the back is The Tetons. But I am not sure if I can change the borders. I will look at the art when I get it. Thanks for the ideas, you have created so many coins, I value your opinion! I wil go swtich those at the beginning. And I still want one of those coins. Guess I will create a seeking list! :(

Do we have to pre order, or are you going to have them made and then have us order.

I too was bit by the last one, so any more I would rather work out a trade later, buy one for someone or miss out all together then preorder. JMO

I am not actually selling them Oakcoins, will be. I just created the design and wanted to see how you guys liked it. The trouble the First Wyoming coin caused made me realize I was not going to do this myself but needed help. Oakcoins offerd to take this one on for me.

Do we have to pre order, or are you going to have them made and then have us order.

I too was bit by the last one, so any more I would rather work out a trade later, buy one for someone or miss out all together then preorder. JMO

I am not actually selling them Oakcoins, will be. I just created the design and wanted to see how you guys liked it. The trouble the First Wyoming coin caused made me realize I was not going to do this myself but needed help. Oakcoins offerd to take this one on for me.

Thanks for understanding and for the answers, I also got to say your choice in Coin Brokers is great, Oakcoins produces some very nice coins and are great to work with.

I am not sure what happened. It is like Oakcoins forgot I even submitted. Get no replies to my emails. I don't know what to do? :rolleyes:

Depends where you are up to:

here :rolleyes:

or here :anibad:

or here 1018.gif

It's probably best to save this one for later dark.gif

I think I am almost here :ph34r: But I am getting close to the last one! Thanks for showing those!

The mints were closed for Chinese New Year this past week and are just reopening. So Oak probably has not received the artwork back from the mint yet if that is the stage that you are at. In addition Sara took a much deserved vacation at the same time, and should be returning any day now as well. You should hear from them over the weekend sometime ;)

The mints were closed for Chinese New Year this past week and are just reopening. So Oak probably has not received the artwork back from the mint yet if that is the stage that you are at. In addition Sara took a much deserved vacation at the same time, and should be returning any day now as well. You should hear from them over the weekend sometime ;)

Hoping to see an update on my coin too ... They'll get back in the swing soon, I'm sure.

The mints were closed for Chinese New Year this past week and are just reopening. So Oak probably has not received the artwork back from the mint yet if that is the stage that you are at. In addition Sara took a much deserved vacation at the same time, and should be returning any day now as well. You should hear from them over the weekend sometime <_<

I knew Sara was gone, but Christian emailed me once then that was it. Hopefully I will hear more now. Thanks for the info AG!

The mints were closed for Chinese New Year this past week and are just reopening. So Oak probably has not received the artwork back from the mint yet if that is the stage that you are at. In addition Sara took a much deserved vacation at the same time, and should be returning any day now as well. You should hear from them over the weekend sometime :laughing:

I knew Sara was gone, but Christian emailed me once then that was it. Hopefully I will hear more now. Thanks for the info AG!

I think Christian is away on business with his regular job as well.

I haven't heard much from him this past week either. I normally get several emails a day from him, but this past week it has been very quiet.

Plus, also remember that they were at the Geocoinfest last weekend as well. ;)

D-man ;)

Any update or new artwork?

As stated above, still waiting on Oakcoins. Not sure when they will get back to me. :(

Probably a filter, but I've also heard he was away on biz for a few days and he might just be under the crunch because of the extensive Chinese New Year holiday period. Have you asked anyone else to email him from a different account?

Here it is! Final Artwork! Remember I am not selling this, Oakcoins will be.

5d6ff98c-3bbd-42b0-a66b-191cd3bff1b3.jpg

Count me in for a couple as well!

One for my collection and one to be a traveler. (Bet you'll never guess where it'll want to go!! :anibad: )

My bet is that many of them that get put out as travelers will have the Devil's Tower as a destination! :anibad:

Kinda like the folks in the movie. They'll just be drawn there.

It is an event sociologique

D-man :blink:

P.S. - If your a fan of CEOT3K & the rock group Evanescence, Here's something really cool... :wacko:

Edited by gridlox