Seen A Famous Person?

Saturate

Have you ever seen a famous person while out geocaching before? Tell us your stories.

While geocaching down and around Deer Lake park in British Columbia, Canada. I once saw Billy Hopeless from the band The Black Halos. He was just standing around the water, watching the ducks and such do what ducks to best. QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! I didn't say anthing to him. I didn't wanna disturb him, he's famous so he must get disturbed a whole lot.

Edited: Spelling mistake.

Edited by Saturate

WHO? Never heard of him...

Have you ever seen a famous person while out geocaching before? Tell us your stories.

While geocaching down and around Deer Lake park in British Columbia, Canada. I once saw Billy Hopeless from the band The Black Halos. He was just standing around the water, watching the ducks and such do what ducks to best. QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! I didn't say anthing to him. I didn't wanna disturb him, he's famous so he must get disturbed a whole lot.

Edited: Spelling mistake.

Didn't actually see him, but we did come close to a famous person that we had no idea would be in the area.

Here is the link to the log!

I was mountain biking with friends in the mountains above Malibu Canyon once and stumbled on a free (well, free for us) outdoor Hootie & the Blowfish concert for charity. We put down our bikes, sat on the ledge high above, and enjoyed!

Edited by QSparrow

I'd imagine the incidence of running into someone famous while caching has got to be very rare! I've never run into anyone famous out in the woods, that's for sure. But it did make me think about the handful of famous people I have met in my lifetime...

• Tiny Tim (Tiptoe through the Tulips), I met him during intermission while he was performing with a circus that visited my town.
  • Tom Clancy, the novelist. He lives about an hour away and visited the flight simulator I worked at. For the tour, he signed all six (at the time) of his books for me!
  • Cathy Silvers - from "Happy Days." She was working the auto-show circuit, geez, must have been 25 years ago!!!
  • A few local TV personalities/news anchors from Columbia, SC.
  • Gene Cernin, the last man to walk on the moon (he says "the LATEST" person to walk on the moon).
  • Miss South Carolina (circa 1982). Walked her to her car after an MDA telethon I was helping to run.
  • Sam Nunn (Senate Arms Services Committee)
  • Don Geronimo and Mike O'Mara, nationally syndicated radio DJ's who also visited my simulator facility
  • I think I saw Rhea Perlman (Cheers) at an airport once.
  • Also at Washington National Airport I saw Tim Russert talking on the phone.
  • Again at the airport, I saw Clinton advisor James Carville.
  • And anchorman Ted Koppel has a house in this county and I've bumped into him a couple times while out and about.
  • My cousin is a fairly well-known artist back in South Carolina named "Blue Sky." (he changed his name to that from Warren Johnson). He's famous for his murals around the state.

The previous poster mentioned Hootie and the Blowfish... Darius Rucker and another band member (Jim Sonnefeld?) and I attended the University of South Carolina during the same years. They are in my yearbooks but were not famous at the time. They were performing as a group back then in the Five Points area but I never saw them.

Cool Stuff!

Edited by Shiraz-mataz

Living here on Oahu there are only so many places to hide caches. Not too long ago I was out caching and stopped at a remote beach for a moment of solitude and a quick snack. Just happens to be the beach where the main camp from LOST is located and filmed. We saw the actors who play Charlie, Kate, Jack, and Sawyer and watched part of an episode be filmed. And nope, I'm not telling what we discovered about the upcoming episodes! :D

Living here on Oahu there are only so many places to hide caches. Not too long ago I was out caching and stopped at a remote beach for a moment of solitude and a quick snack. Just happens to be the beach where the main camp from LOST is located and filmed. We saw the actors who play Charlie, Kate, Jack, and Sawyer and watched part of an episode be filmed. And nope, I'm not telling what we discovered about the upcoming episodes! :anibad:

Well, from that we know Charlie is still alive. And Jack has not been to the main camp this entire season. Yet. :anitongue:

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and have seen many Pittsburgh Steelers from Rocky Blier at the Supermarket, to Lynn Swan in the USX tower where I was working at the time, to Franco Harris at a local park with his family. The one wierd one was meeting Bill Cowher @ Disney in Florida in April with his family he walked up to us (myself and my father) and asked if we were from pittsburgh since we were both sporting the colors, and we talked for about 10 minutes while we were waiting in line to get food. Rode the elevator with Antwaan Randel El at an apartment building where my friend used to live. Probably more I'm forgetting, but none while out caching... :-)

Yet another "Not while out caching" reply, But I was standing outside one of the entrances to the ticketing counters at Seattle/Tacoma Intl., and up pulled Gary Payton from the Seattle Sonics, in his fancyized Hummer dropping off his wife for a trip she was taking.

Not to mention all the MLB players I was able to meet while I was younger, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, George Brett, Ozzie Smith, Dale Murphy, Don Mattingly, just to name a few off the top of my head. Although in all fairness those for the most part were at conventions, and not out on the street.

ive met ted nuggent hunting. he woke me up while i was sleeping to let me know there was a drive taking place and of course i missed a nice size buck he passes up for me. lol. larry nixon the pro bass fisherman at a sports show. sterling martin almost ran over me at the poconos while driving the coors light golf cart. it was towing a cart of coors light and the guy riding in the back threw us a bunch of beers yelling he has no ins. lmbo. but never anybody while out cacheing yet.

I'd posted a long "not while caching" post earlier but all this sports talk reminded me of one more. A couple years ago I took my son to an Orioles game. They were playing the Boston Red Sox that day. Sitting two rows in front of us was women's soccer star Mia Hamm. She was there to watch her Red Sox boyfriend play - Nomar Garciapara.

...well, technically... sort of.

It is kind of a stretch but we were doing Ball Three: Safeco Field the other day. It is a cache at the Seattle Mariners' home ballpark. We were there to attend a game too. Had a chance to meet Seattle Seahawk, Bryce Fisher while we were there and get an autograph. So technically, we were "caching" but the encounter was just a result of being at the ballpark.

d4eafe15-711d-4d66-a589-09903d4eaa8f.jpg

I've read this thread many times and just realized that we actually did see some famous people while geocaching. While we were searching for the Cache Across America/Wisconsin cache, the Packers were all showing up for practice. A young man was standing at the security gate asking for autographs on a football. Kinda cool if you like the Packers. :rolleyes:

For a couple of months there the Mrs and I worked at our local airport. (Detroit Metro)

Weve met and served cruddy food to:

The US olympic womens basketball team

Smokey Robinson

Jackie Chan

The Rock

Most of the Detroit Pistons 2006

Ted Nugent

Meg Ryan

George Bush Sr (and entorage) (didnt serve them but we got to see em)

Aaliyah (singer, actress from Queen of The Damned movie)

R Kelly (spacejam singing guy)

While out caching, not a soul.

Weve met lots of other cachers out and about but none that would be considered celebrity. Although they are famous in local circles :(

California Saturday, February 28, 2004

plc.doctor found Gimme a Break! (Traditional Cache)

I've seen alot of things while out looking for a cache, BUT the Governor of California isn't one of the ones I ever thought I'd see! Boy, talk about a bonus. We put off looking for the cache to go gawk and we must have looked pitifull enough that they waved us over to say hello and get a picture with him. Wow!

Well after they left we did go back and find the cache. Thanks OMS for giving us a reason to be at this stop.

14d123b9-1fa6-41b5-ac0b-459d7a4f5916.jpg

Well right before heading to the Groundspeak HQ on April 19th, we ran into a semi-famous person at Pike's Market. It was Jonathan Jayne (the guy on the left). He auditioned for American Idol in Seattle (6th season) and was aired on tv (when they were showing all the auditions). The guy on the right is Rick (from BRoKeN W).

100_0207.jpg

Willow Creek Trail

GCWY1A

February 18 by PezCachers (3464 found)

Have never been in this area before and we enjoyed the loop. As we were signing in we heard a family coming up the trail so we hurried and did our trade and put the cache back in its place.

At the switchback... before us stood Captain Jonathan Archer (Scott Bakula), of the Star Ship Enterprise NX-01 and his crew!

WOW!!!

Playing it cool and not wanting to get beamed anywhere we answered their questions about the trail and made our way back down to the kiosk.

Thanks for the stash!

T- Pez, yes, we took a pez imagine that!

L- Sponge Bob in a bubble

Ken&Jill

This fits in the "but not while caching" category. A few yrs back I worked for a short time for Nutrena Feed Mill near Burlington, WA. Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed from Rocky movies) came in to the office to make an adjustment to his feed formulas (he was living on Whidbey & raising show cattle) and I got to talk to him.

Not while geocaching category:

Blues legend BB King backstage after a performance at the Fox Theater in Atlanta Ga. While I was talking with him some one came in with a black and white glossy for an autograph for Delbert McClinton.

Guitarist Eric Johnson backstage after a show in a small club in Charleston SC

Alice Cooper at the Airport in Newark NJ (he was on his way back to Phoenix after a golf tourney)

Blueman Group in the parking lot before the show without make-up and then backstage after a show with make-up at the Nokia Theater Grand Prairie TX (including founding member Chris Wink) Also there, opening act Tracey Bonham.

Jazz Guitarist Pat Metheny at a Music seminar in Atlanta.

Blues legend Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown while he was chowing down on a bowl of chili between sets at a small club in Atlanta.

American Indian Activist Russell Means in a crowd during an alternative political rally held during the Republican Presidential Convention in Atlanta. Abby Hoffman and Timothy Leary were there as well, but did not mingle with the crowd like Russell.

And my most memorable encounter was at a Mexican restaurant in Atlanta Ga. Poncho’s Cantina. It was a Sunday and the place was dead. A few people inside and the deck was all but empty. We chose to sit outside as it was a nice fall day and when we sat down I noticed the only other table on the deck that was occupied. A half of dozen Business men in late 80’s early 90’s power suits and one clown that had his back to us. When I say clown I’m talking an Italian Silk suit with the pant legs tucked in to a pair of red cowboy boots. Top that off with a cowboy hat with a feather plume that would have put the 3 Musketeers to shame. We order our lunch and the suits and clown do their business. Half way thru lunch the clown gets up and heads inside. As he turned I had one of those it’s the best of times / worst of times type feelings. The clown was no clown at all but the late great Stevie Ray Vaughn. I had a quick dish of crow and smacked myself around for calling him a clown and then followed him inside.

There was this little man who appeared bigger than a giant on stage, mild mannered, soft spoken and humble. I spent a good 5 to 10 min talking with him that day. 8 to 10 months later he was tragically killed in a helicopter accident.

While caching I ran into TeamAlamo -- not world famous but the #1 cachers in the world. They currently have 20,779 finds.

I didn't know who it was at the time but they were at a local caching event later that evening and were introduced.

I saw across from Mr. & Mrs. Alamo at an event a couple of months ago . . . while we were having dinner, they got word on the cell phone that their first grandchild had just been born. So that was nice.

More "not while caching" . . . .

Arthur Miller . . . was at my college for a Writer's Conference, and my friends were his student chaperones around campus.

Arnold Schwarzenegger . . . also during college, though I only saw him from a distance. He was apparently presenting some award at our student center, and no one knew he would be there. Word spread like wildfire. (This was late 80s/early 90s.)

Kurt Vonnegut . . . also in the early 90s, I think. He was standing outside City Centre in NYC, taking his daughter to the circus that was performing there. I was walking by with some friends and former teachers from high school, as we were in for dinner and a show.

Gwendolyn Brooks . . . poet, at a poetry conference I had taken students to in 1996/97.

Sandy Duncan . . . outside stage door at Lunt-Fontaine Theatre in NYC, where I had seen her perform as Peter Pan. This was when I was a Brownie girl scout in the late 70s.

Lenny Dykstra . . . of the New York Mets. At a card show. Got his autograph, shook his hand, vowed to never wash my hand again. I lasted about a day and a half.

Huey Lewis . . . just this past October. Waited outside stage door in SF where he had performed in Chicago: The Musical. I was a HUGE Huey Lewis and the News fan in high school, college, and beyond, so this was a dream come true for me. Got his autograph on my Playbill, then as my two friends and I walked back to the garage where we had parked our car, we realized that Huey and a friend were following us. He was parked in the same garage. So we got to wave and smile again as he pulled out past us when we went to our car. SIGH

Joe Pepitone . . . baseball player, at a card show my brother dragged me to when I was a kid.

Probably a few more . . . I grew up not far outside New York City.

Jonathan Frakes . . . probably my best story. Coming back from London in the summer of 2003, I flew from London to Boston, then Boston to San Jose, CA. On the transatlantic flight, I was sitting in the first row of the cheap seats (as if) and Mr. Frakes, of Star Trek: The Next Generation fame, was sitting in the last row of the nicer seats, but on the other side of the plane. I could see him from where I was sitting. Some dorky loser kept going up and talking to him. He was with his wife, Jeanie Francis (sp?) and their two kids, and they looked tired. I passed a note to him via a flight attendant. You see, his father, Dr. James Frakes, had been a mentor to one of my college buddies when she went off to grad school (and post-grad) at Lehigh University. My friend is dyslexic, and Dr. Frakes always made sure she got enough time to do her work and all the reading required. (She got both her Masters and her Ph. D. in English!) He also was a good friend to her, like an uncle. I had not known at the time that Dr. Frakes had since passed, and I just wanted to let Jonathan know how much of a difference his father had made in my friend's life. He looked over, smiled, and waved.

When we were getting off the plane in Boston, and had to re-claim our luggage to go through customs, his part of the line came alongside my part of the line (in the zig-zag, you know?). He turned to me and said, "I want you to know how much your note about my father means to me. I can't wait to call my mother and tell her what you said." I realized then that his father must have passed away, which I confirmed by doing a web search a few days later after I was settled in back home.

The funny thing is that my ex-husband was a rabid trekker, so I thought it was neat that I had met this particular star.

Came very close to meeting Billy Connolly (Scottish comedian) in a hotel lobby in Glasgow where my husband and I were staying. (Both hubby and my Mom are from Glasgow, so there's a connection.) Just as we had gotten up the nerve to go talk to him, we realized he and his two friends had left. We looked out the window to see him driving off . . . . . the doorman later told us that Billy would have loved to talk to us, especially my husband being from the same part of Glasgow as Billy, and me being American.

I'm jealous of the person who met Alice Cooper. Closest I got was a standing-only concert at the Barrowlands in Glasgow. Small show, amazing night. During the Brutal Planet tour. My husband is a massive Cooper fan, and I am somewhat of a convert. Funny thing, my mother used to go dancing at that venue when she was a young lady.

And my husband is convinced he met Mel Brooks at a hotel bar in Hong Kong many years ago. Even kept an eye on his briefcase for him while Mel . . . he insisted he wasn't . . . went to the restroom.

Another "not while caching" I was called to jury selection last year and had jury duty with George Siefert the former head coach of the SF 49ers. I had absolutly no clue who he was but we were seated right next to each other during selection. I could hear the attorneys fussing in the background about autographs and didn't think much about it. We each had to stand up, say our name and what we did for a living. He stood up and made his speech about being the former head coach, blah, blah, blah. Neither one of us were picked for final selection...woohoo! :anibad: He was a pretty cool guy!

Edited by LostinReno

Completely not caching related.

I was on a business trip to St Louis a few years back. (The family was with me.) We were going to breakfast on a Sunday morning and as we were going into Denny's i spied Kurt Warner. He was coming/going i cant remember which. We never made it in as it was crowded and i didn't want to stay. Went to another close by Denny's and they told us that lots of the Rams players liked to eat there before a game on Sunday.

I had no desire to go bother him. But i saw him and was surprised. You are a Superbowl MVP and you're eating at Denny's? I would be afraid to get the runs later during the game.

Not while caching......

Julia Roberts, nearly knocked her down while racing down a narrow set of stairs at a posh Hawaiian Hotel. She looked like a deer in the headlights.

The first Joe Millionaire bachelor guy, with another woman, having breakfast, Hotel Monaco, DC

Marlee Matlin, outside the Chop House, DC

Leonardo DiCaprio filling up at a gas station in Anchorage, Alaska

Never seen any famous people. But I did know one that was infamous. The last time I saw Him he was trying to borrow money from a friend of my dad's but no one would give him any as every one knew that all he was going to do was buy more PCP. 2 weeks later he shot Regan.

John Z. Doe

spelling fat fingers

Edited by john_z_doe

not but a few weeks ago I was in the desert around Apache Junction, AZ and ran in to Josh Simpson. He's one of those guys that you're not sure if you should approach or not so I just stood there and he said "hi" so I stopped and chatted with him for a bit. Really nice guy. I'm not the type to be jaded by celebrities, but he was a really cool guy for sure.

Only a few people, and not while caching. I'm not one to go and bug people, so when I've recognized someone, I've let them be.

But so far, I've encountered the actress who played Blossom (what's her name?) in a small shop in Killarney, Ireland back in the mid 90's.

I've encountered a few of the Steelers at work (I work at a YMCA).

Antwaan Randle-El's brother, Curtis has a part-time gig at the Y where I work doing football clinics for kids, and we've talked a little.

My wife has met Troy Polamalu's wife and has seen Ben Roethlisberger at work. She's a veterinarian. Ben no longer visits her clinic, but I believe the Polamalus still take their dogs there.

I've met a few local news personalities and such (Sally Wiggins is a riot when she's drunk), but that's about it.

not while caching, but i've seen former WWE wrestler/TNA wrestler Kurt Angle once while at work and another time while i was shopping

I also met Patrice King Brown and Stephanie Waston from KDKA tv2 news

and i also met John Shumway from KDKA about 6 years ago when i came back from the 2001 National Boy Scout Jamboree

my sister got Deashea Townsends (or whoever is number 26 from the Steelers) autograph on a football from where she works at

she also saw and met Big Ben Rothlsberger(sp?) buying a t.v. from her; my sis works at Circuit City in Robinson Township and also got an autograph

she may or may not have told me, or i may have gotten this wrong, but i think she said she also met Coach Cowher

Edited by Keruso

OK, this falls into the "not while geocaching" category.

I was at a water aerobics class and looking for my friend's friend "cheryl" and I couldn't see her. She said she's right there by the instructor ! Well, this was not the "cheryl" I was looking for. Boy was I shocked when I was face to face with Cheryl Ladd! She still looks great ! Guess those water aerobics are part of her beauty regimin. :)

I have also seen: :D Kenny Loggins, Bobby McFerrin, John Forsythe, Bo Derek, Julia Childs, Marisa Tomei, Johnathan Winters & Her Royal Highness, The Queen of England ! :):):D

Willow Creek Trail

GCWY1A

February 18 by PezCachers (3464 found)

Have never been in this area before and we enjoyed the loop. As we were signing in we heard a family coming up the trail so we hurried and did our trade and put the cache back in its place.

At the switchback... before us stood Captain Jonathan Archer (Scott Bakula), of the Star Ship Enterprise NX-01 and his crew!

WOW!!!

Playing it cool and not wanting to get beamed anywhere we answered their questions about the trail and made our way back down to the kiosk.

Thanks for the stash!

T- Pez, yes, we took a pez imagine that!

L- Sponge Bob in a bubble

Ken&Jill

That's GREAT! :) I don't know if i could have held it together face to face with Scott Bakula/Sam Becket !!!!!! :D:D

not while caching, but i've seen former WWE wrestler/TNA wrestler Kurt Angle once while at work and another time while i was shopping

I also met Patrice King Brown and Stephanie Waston from KDKA tv2 news

and i also met John Shumway from KDKA about 6 years ago when i came back from the 2001 National Boy Scout Jamboree

my sister got Deashea Townsends (or whoever is number 26 from the Steelers) autograph on a football from where she works at

she also saw and met Big Ben Rothlsberger(sp?) buying a t.v. from her; my sis works at Circuit City in Robinson Township and also got an autograph

she may or may not have told me, or i may have gotten this wrong, but i think she said she also met Coach Cowher

to quote my own post

my sister also saw former WWE/TNA Wrestler Kurt Angle while shopping for dog food

Edited by Keruso

We spotted gordon ramsey while out caching in Titchfield. We were introducing the in-laws to caching at the time and trying to stay stealthy while dodging cameras / boom mikes.

Mrs microphonemark can't tell the difference between him and Jamie Oliver, and wanted to leap up to him while he's filming and ask if "he's the nice one, or the one that swears and is mean to everyone?"

I told her she should just bound up and ask him that (While filming) and she'll soon find out if he's nice or mean.

Ok, another one for the not while geacaching columb. Not my only celebrity encounter, but a special one.

I was a very tiny tot, my mother was holding me over her shoulder at Niagra Falls. I started giggling, so she leaned back to see what was going on. There was Marylin Monroe tickling me with a flower.

Of course I have no memory of it, but I do have the flower.

Is it true? I think so, my mom doesn't lie much.