How many times ... before I should give up.

kewfriend

Like many of us I have a good splattering of caches of different types and sizes. Sometimes I archive a cache because like 'any dog - it's had its day'. Our first cache has been muggled, swamped and even used as a toilet!!, but for sentimental reasons I keep on replacing it. And its popular.

Similarly Pugwash, near my mum, has a sentimental attachment. Its been taken once, trashed once and burnt out once. And yet its in a lovely spot in the most pukka part of Rye. This cache is also popular. Sadly I've announced on the cache page that this is the last time I'll replace it - too d a m n disheartened - (try posting the invective word and see what the forum converts it to)

When do you finally 'hang up the GPS' and decide a cache has 'had its day'?

Edited by kewfriend

I too have a cache - only a micro, that has been replaced countless times in it's lifetime. I think the cache is a year old, yet I've replaced it 7 or 8 times.

The reason I keep on doing so? It's a VERY cheeky hide, in an urban area, which is also an area of huge local importance. It's in Port Sunlight (The Village Lord Leverhulme created for his workers in his philanthropic vision) and is very popular.

Like most cache setters with more than 'a few', I've had my share of muggled caches. Once a cache location has been compromised, it's a bit daft to keep replacing it. I don't recollect ever putting a replacement cache back in exactly the same place as the muggled one. If there's a suitable location within the permitted 'move radius', I'll move it. If not, it gets the chop.

One of my caches on a bridge in Regents Park has gone missing 5 or six times in the last few months.

I'm now considering what to do. However, as it's in a Royal Park (which could be considered to be a "sensitive" area, I may just decide to call it a day.

Oh well, maybe another cacher would have more luck there.

Bob

Edited by Belplasca

I have a cache on Dartmoor which I persevere with even though it has been muggled several times. GCMRF5.

They even bring coach loads of children there to practise searching for letterboxes. I have decided to keep it going as it gets great posts by finders who seem to enjoy visiting the location.

I have reluctantly archived my first ever placed cache as the location has changed radically over the years and was no longer worth visiting.

So, if cachers like the cache it is worth persevering with. That would be my criteria.

I've had to consider this myself and my answer is that I'll keep replacing the ones in an interesting location and/or with good feedback. In practice this means that some (eg Uffington White Horse and Royal Crescent, Bath) have been replaced often.

However, as mentioned by Pharisee, I rarely replace a cache in exactly the same place since it will get muggled again. This means that caches do move small amounts.

I've had to "replace" a Virtual cache today, since the original sign has been officially removed. Last week it was Uffington because the tree containing the cache has been removed! So it's not always muggle activity.

Edited to say...if anyone is offended.............Shame!

I've wanted to post something along those lines for ages but it took a while to pluck up the courage. I'm now working on doing a series of Jihad caches with FTF prize of a personal Fatwah. I'll bet some people would want me lo log it first.

If people can't take criticism or jokes then...

Oh, then they riot, I believe.

Edited by jerryo