Same tracking numbers given to different coins?

WI_Robin

Last year I had a very small batch of trackable coins (60) made for my "geohoney's" birthday/2000th cache found milestone. I gave most of them away in local caches and traded just a very few. I have had 2 people contact me recently stating that they where unable to activate their coin because it came up as already activated. Both coins came up being activated as the same type of coin (not mine). I kept the list of all the tracking numbers and activation codes just in case someone misplaced their code so I checked all of the coins. About half where unactivated and in the activated half there where 4 coins, all the same type, that where not mine but had a tracking number that had been issued to my coins. One even had a picture on the coins webpage that showed the tracking number so I could verify that it was the same. I contacted a few people who had the coins. One person stated that the coin came in a flip from the same company who manufactured my coin. When I contacted the owner he stated that the coin was manufactured by a different company. I e-mailed the company who made my coins with the tracking numbers and the picture that I found on the coin's page. I have not heard back from them yet. About half of my coins are not activated, and I don't know who has them all, so there is no way of telling how many of those coins are also affected! Has anyone else had this happen??? If so, what in the heck do you do after that.......

Last year I had a very small batch of trackable coins (60) made for my "geohoney's" birthday/2000th cache found milestone. I gave most of them away in local caches and traded just a very few. I have had 2 people contact me recently stating that they where unable to activate their coin because it came up as already activated. Both coins came up being activated as the same type of coin (not mine). I kept the list of all the tracking numbers and activation codes just in case someone misplaced their code so I checked all of the coins. About half where unactivated and in the activated half there where 4 coins, all the same type, that where not mine but had a tracking number that had been issued to my coins. One even had a picture on the coins webpage that showed the tracking number so I could verify that it was the same. I contacted a few people who had the coins. One person stated that the coin came in a flip from the same company who manufactured my coin. When I contacted the owner he stated that the coin was manufactured by a different company. I e-mailed the company who made my coins with the tracking numbers and the picture that I found on the coin's page. I have not heard back from them yet. About half of my coins are not activated, and I don't know who has them all, so there is no way of telling how many of those coins are also affected! Has anyone else had this happen??? If so, what in the heck do you do after that.......

Your best bet may be to work with Brian at Groundspeak. He is in charge of all tracking for the coins.

It has happened in the past. Most notibly with New Jersey and Maryland coins. There were several duplicate tracking numbers where two coins had the same tracking number. However, I have not heard of it happening often with anything since the very early trackable coins.

Droo offers some good advice. Make sure the commonly confused letters and numbers are not being input incorrectly.

It has happened in the past. Most notibly with New Jersey and Maryland coins. There were several duplicate tracking numbers where two coins had the same tracking number. However, I have not heard of it happening often with anything since the very early trackable coins.

Droo offers some good advice. Make sure the commonly confused letters and numbers are not being input incorrectly.

I actually copied and pasted the numbers directly off of the list that was sent to me by the coin manufacturer. I would have just thought it was a mix up like that, except all the coins that have been activated with the same tracking numbers as my coins have all been the same type of coin - four coins all the same are about 3 to many to be coincidence?!?! I will send my list of tracking numbers, along with what I have discovered to Brian at Groundspeak and see what he can figure out. It's very frustrating since I had so few coins minted to have 4 - that I know of so far, that look like they won't be able to be activated.

I did hear back from the minter and indeed two sets of different coins where issued the same tracking numbers!! So if you have a Zuma and Jesse personal geocoin hang onto it and contact me with the tracking number. The coins may have to be replace - or the other persons coins may need to be replace (Brady Bunch Boys) - I would hang onto that one also if you have it. What a mess! Luckily there where only 60 coins made of the Zuma and Jesse coins, but to track them all down may be a problem because only a few trades where made, only 1 was sold and the rest where distributed unactivated via geocache.

I did the distribution for the Maryland coins and it was a lot to keep track of 2000 numbers. There were a couple numbers that were duplicates and several that were etched incorrectly but we thought we got them all. I hope that none of those issues went unresolved. I have had several requests for codes that have been mis placed.