Plan my Seattle vacation

CacheNCarryMA

One additional requirement for minor children -- if both parents are not accompanying the kids through the border, you must carry a notarized letter from the non-accompanying parent giving their consent to transporting the child or children outside the US. They are quite diligent with this requirement, in order to prevent children being abducted.

If the kid has a passport you don't need a letter from the other parent.

Not correct, Luckykoi...

This from the official Citizenship and Immigration website (bold text is mine, added for emphasis):

If a minor child is traveling with only one of his parents or with a legal guardian:

He should have a copy of his birth certificate as well as a letter of authorization, preferably in English or French, signed by the parent who is not traveling with him. The letter of authorization should give the address and telephone number of the non-accompanying parent. It is not necessary for the letter to be certified, but a certified letter is acceptable.

A photocopy of the passport or national identity card of the non-accompanying parent, with the bearer’s signature, should be attached.

If the parents are separated or divorced and the parent who is accompanying the child has sole custody, a copy of the custody decision should be presented. If one of the child’s parents is deceased, a copy of the death certificate should be presented. If the child has been adopted or is under guardianship, a copy of the adoption or guardianship papers should be presented.

Note: These documents are not always requested upon entry to Canada, but they may be. We therefore strongly recommend bringing them in case they are required by the immigration officer at the point of entry (airport or border crossing). A minor child will not be admitted to Canada if the officer is not satisfied that his parents or legal guardian have authorized his stay.

To recap:

Saturday - very late evening arrival

Sunday - APE event cache? dinner in Seattle

Monday - Whidbey, afternoon kayak Bowman Bay

Tuesday - Whidbey

Wednesday - carless in Seattle, Pike Place? Space Needle?

Thursday - carless in Seattle, Museum of Art?

Friday - visit Groundspeak HQ

Saturday - Departure

We're not visiting Canada (not enough time)

Need advice:

Experience Music Project

Sci Fi Hall of Fame

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

To recap:

Need advice:

Experience Music Project

Sci Fi Hall of Fame

If you visit Seattle for the first time, you must do the Pike Place Market and the Space Needle. Missing them would be like going to New York and not seeing the statue of liberty.

At the market, don't miss the place at the Southern corner where they throw salmon over people's heads. You'll know you're there by the crowd gathered around and the loud chatter of the fish mongers. The market is a labyrinth to explore and you can get some really cool food there. I like to graze my way through rather than choose one place for lunch - there's too many temptations to limit yourself to one place. Great souvenir shopping, too. You can walk down to Pioneer Square after lunch and take the Underground Tour. It's interesting and quirky, because Underground Tour guide seems to be the day job for all of the local stand up comics. You may need to buy tickets a day ahead of time. Don't go to Pioneer Square at night - it's not safe. Don't miss Nolenator's waterfall cache while you're in the Pioneer Square area.

At Seattle Center you will find the Space Needle and the Experience Music Project. Another cool place to go in Seattle Center with the kids is the Pacific Science Center. It's huge, all hands-on, and fascinating! Your kids will LOVE it.

To recap:

Need advice:

Experience Music Project

Sci Fi Hall of Fame

If you visit Seattle for the first time, you must do the Pike Place Market and the Space Needle. Missing them would be like going to New York and not seeing the statue of liberty.

At the market, don't miss the place at the Southern corner where they throw salmon over people's heads. You'll know you're there by the crowd gathered around and the loud chatter of the fish mongers. The market is a labyrinth to explore and you can get some really cool food there. I like to graze my way through rather than choose one place for lunch - there's too many temptations to limit yourself to one place. Great souvenir shopping, too. You can walk down to Pioneer Square after lunch and take the Underground Tour. It's interesting and quirky, because Underground Tour guide seems to be the day job for all of the local stand up comics. You may need to buy tickets a day ahead of time. Don't go to Pioneer Square at night - it's not safe. Don't miss Nolenator's waterfall cache while you're in the Pioneer Square area.

At Seattle Center you will find the Space Needle and the Experience Music Project. Another cool place to go in Seattle Center with the kids is the Pacific Science Center. It's huge, all hands-on, and fascinating! Your kids will LOVE it.

I guess I shouldn't have put question marks on Pike Place Market and Space Needle. We're definitely seeing those, that's why I picked a hotel near there. Just haven't decided which day.

When you say Pioneer Square is not safe at night - in what way? I've lived in NY and been through pre-Disney Times Square, Bronx, and Brooklyn. Do you mean it doesn't feel safe? Or do you mean "yeah, you'll get mugged and you'll be solicited, etc" Or to quote another recent forum thread "my wallet will be raped and pillaged"

I'll second a vote for the Pacific Science Center. I just spent the day there on a field trip with my son's class. The kids had a blast. They have an IMAX theater which is always showing something cool. Something that is in the area that is fun and really touristy is the Ride The Ducks tour. It it a bit cheesy but the kids will love it.

When you say Pioneer Square is not safe at night - in what way? I've lived in NY and been through pre-Disney Times Square, Bronx, and Brooklyn. Do you mean it doesn't feel safe? Or do you mean "yeah, you'll get mugged and you'll be solicited, etc" Or to quote another recent forum thread "my wallet will be raped and pillaged"
;)

There are many "residentially-challenged" people around.

I've been there at night on a couple of occassions. Nothing horrible happeend, other than expensive parking (they charged extra for the fresh smell of urine all over the garage).

It's also one of the spots in town to go clubbing/dancing, so if that's your scene, that's where the peeps will be.

I know you have reservations already on Whidbey, but there is another often overlooked overnight accomodation that is really interesting. I've driven by them, but never actually went inside. You used to be able to stay at the old officer's housing at Ft. Casey. Some were little & some quite large, nice places (like something you'd see on Nantucket) within walking distance to Ft. Casey. Put Ft. Case on your "must see" while on Whidbey, along with the lighthouse there.

I know you have reservations already on Whidbey, but there is another often overlooked overnight accomodation that is really interesting. I've driven by them, but never actually went inside. You used to be able to stay at the old officer's housing at Ft. Casey. Some were little & some quite large, nice places (like something you'd see on Nantucket) within walking distance to Ft. Casey. Put Ft. Case on your "must see" while on Whidbey, along with the lighthouse there.

Thanks! It's on the list.

Gordy's is at N 47 28.258 W 121 45.531. It's at a little 9 hole golf course just off the highway on the way up to Rattlesnake Lake. There's always a lot of cars in the parking lot on weekends but that may be just golfers and not eaters. I had lunch there a few years ago and seem to remember the place being a bit bigger than Twede's. They had a pretty good BBQ sandwich.

Awesome! Thanks.

I'm planning on visiting the APE cache. My wife is a little claustrophobic, and I'm not sure if my seven-year old is up for a seven mile roundtrip hike on foot. Having bikes, on a nice downhill ride (and flat through the tunnel) might make it more fun.

I'm having trouble figuring out where that rental place is in relation to the Snoqualmie Tunnel (and everything else). Does anyone have a link or a map?

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I could not find any other refrence to that business, when I googled it again, which gives me the impression that it is out of business. However, I did find this business directory, that mentions Cycle Path, in North Bend and Snoquamie summit. There is also Valley Bike rack in North Bend, and there is a GI Joe's in Issaquah.

You may have to rent it in North Bend, as there aren't that many services at Snoquamie summit.

I have just spent over an hour reading all the posts and let me tell you, I have gathered more information than any of the brochures we have been reading. I don't know why I didn't think of coming here sooner for some local info.

My wife, 10 year old son, and I have been kicking around the idea of going to Seattle for our 2 week vacation. We will be traveling by pickup and travel trailer and were looking to spend about 8-10 days in the Seattle area. The hardest part about RVing is you don't know what kind of condition an RV park actually is until you get there. All the web sights have nice pictures and you try to gather as much information as possible about these RV parks. The thing is that during the summer, reservations are a must to or you might get stuck with nothing. Making a reservation for a week at an RV Park and then getting there to only see it's not what the picture showed, can be pretty dis-heartening.

The one RV Park we have had our eye on is Lake Pleasant RV Park in Bothell. The reviews have been great and the distance doesn't seem to be too far from downtown Seattle. Wi-fi is a must for us especially now that Geocaching is part of our vacation activities. Have any of you seen or been near Lake Pleasant RV Park? Are there any other RV Parks near Seattle that cater to vacationers? We try to stay away from RV Parks that have permanent residents. Anyway, I have really found the past posts to be very informative. Now, I'm going to go back and start taking some serious notes on what we need to do and see. We are coming in the middle part of July and after reading these posts, my excitement factor has really gone up.

Bernard (Bernsports)

I have just spent over an hour reading all the posts and let me tell you, I have gathered more information than any of the brochures we have been reading. I don't know why I didn't think of coming here sooner for some local info.

My wife, 10 year old son, and I have been kicking around the idea of going to Seattle for our 2 week vacation. We will be traveling by pickup and travel trailer and were looking to spend about 8-10 days in the Seattle area. The hardest part about RVing is you don't know what kind of condition an RV park actually is until you get there. All the web sights have nice pictures and you try to gather as much information as possible about these RV parks. The thing is that during the summer, reservations are a must to or you might get stuck with nothing. Making a reservation for a week at an RV Park and then getting there to only see it's not what the picture showed, can be pretty dis-heartening.

The one RV Park we have had our eye on is Lake Pleasant RV Park in Bothell. The reviews have been great and the distance doesn't seem to be too far from downtown Seattle. Wi-fi is a must for us especially now that Geocaching is part of our vacation activities. Have any of you seen or been near Lake Pleasant RV Park? Are there any other RV Parks near Seattle that cater to vacationers? We try to stay away from RV Parks that have permanent residents. Anyway, I have really found the past posts to be very informative. Now, I'm going to go back and start taking some serious notes on what we need to do and see. We are coming in the middle part of July and after reading these posts, my excitement factor has really gone up.

Bernard (Bernsports)

Hi Bernard,

I've had one experience with Lake Pleasant RV Park, and it was not a pleasant one. I was on my way home to Vancouver BC a year or so ago and was looking for a place to stay pvernight with my fairly late-model pickup camper which is clean and in good shape. I knew of this RV Park, and pulled in there and went into the office inquiring about an overnight spot. The manager peered out the window at my rig, sniffed, and said they didn't have room for "a rig like mine". I had to drive through the entire park on their one-way road to get out, and realized that virtually everyone there was a permanent resident, very few overnighters.

I'd suggest that you check out Kayak Point County Park, which is about the same distance into downtown Seattle as Lake Pleasant, but a much nicer facility for tourists. It's right on the beach, in a modern, well-equipped woodsy campground setting. I don't know about wifi, but it's a great spot to camp!

H-C

Bernard (Bernsports)

I've cached up the hill from Lake Pleasant RV Park and it was located in a nice spot. There is a more urban one near where I work in Bellevue, I don't know the permanent resident ratio, or wifi access though.

Thanks for the responses. I checked out the Kayak County Park online and it's like a lot of the state parks. They are in great areas and have nice settings, but they don't have the amenities. Kayak only has electrical hookup with no water or sewer. For us, if we stay for a week or more, we like to get full hookups. If it's only for a day or so, we can get by.

As for the park in Belevue, I have seen that one online as well and I think it's on our list. The only problem there is they have no pictures at all of the park and that always makes us wonder. They do have full hookups and WiFi access so we will be researching that one some more. I really do appreciate both of you guys taking the time to respond.

Thanks,

Bernard (Bernsports)

You might want to check out the Kent KOA. I've never stayed there, but it's in a pretty convenient location just a bit south of Seattle and they claim to have free wi-fi.

My folks always stayed there when they had their RV. They loved the place, but their priority was more one of having a clean place to camp with full hookups and cable TV over beautiful wilderness scenery. You can step right onto the Green River Trail from the campground, though.

You might want to check out the Kent KOA. I've never stayed there, but it's in a pretty convenient location just a bit south of Seattle and they claim to have free wi-fi.

My folks always stayed there when they had their RV. They loved the place, but their priority was more one of having a clean place to camp with full hookups and cable TV over beautiful wilderness scenery. You can step right onto the Green River Trail from the campground, though.

I have seen this KOA online as well. For us, it is also about a clean RV Park, with full hookups, and a safe environment. It's not really camping for us. We go on our 2 week vacation and instead of staying at motels, we bring the travel trailer along. We don't spend anytime during the day at the RV Parks. We usually eat breakfast at the RV and then we are gone during the days doing our vacation things and return at night to sleep. Our main thing is to be at an RV Park where we feel safe to leave the trailer there while we are gone for the day. For us, it's not the traditional term of camping with the wildlife and scenery. It's our for of vacationing and not having to stay at motels for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the replies,

Bernard (Bernsports)

I have seen this KOA online as well. For us, it is also about a clean RV Park, with full hookups, and a safe environment. It's not really camping for us. We go on our 2 week vacation and instead of staying at motels, we bring the travel trailer along. We don't spend anytime during the day at the RV Parks. We usually eat breakfast at the RV and then we are gone during the days doing our vacation things and return at night to sleep. Our main thing is to be at an RV Park where we feel safe to leave the trailer there while we are gone for the day. For us, it's not the traditional term of camping with the wildlife and scenery. It's our for of vacationing and not having to stay at motels for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the replies,

Bernard (Bernsports)

My In-laws have stayed here also. My wife works right across the street. It seems to be a good place. Besides, there are several caches within walking distance!

I've done a few caching holidays in the Seattle area and loved every one! Talk about a high-saturation area.

I've stayed at several of the Motel 6 locations and found them to be clean and affordable (I'm always on a tight budget while traveling).

As for suggested caches, it depends where in the Puget Sound area you are staying and where you want to go.

For a nice hike through the forest, the Lime Kiln series ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...44-7664721ccc14 ) was very enjoyable. This starts near Granite Falls, and I was able to do 4 of the caches in the time available.

Another spot I worked was on Vashon Island. Requires a ferry ride (in 2006 it cost $18 one-way to get to the island and free to return to the mainland). While on the island, I enjoyed Upcountry Vashon ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...19-69e7be290a85 ) and Vashon-???? ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...dd-ae24fc7df63a ). Yes, there is a legal way to get to Upcountry Vashon. It took me awhile to figure it out. And while Vashon-??? is an easy location to find, what you find there is very different (sorry, can't give that part away :-)

While in the Granite Falls area, Frank Mason Park ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c4-d8e4b15256da ) was an easy cache and is really close to a Japanese Shrine.

Hope this helps :-)

If you are planning a trip through Whidbey Island, you might want to check out the Naval Undersea Museum.

Navel Undersea Museum

I was there April 2005, check the photos on my personal website:

gt204x.jpggt206x.jpggt207x.jpg

Bender The Rubber Chicken

At the time, entrance was free as this is a government (US Navy) facility, but it was closed on Mondays.

I found the museum fascinating!

Edited by Fuzzywhip

I have been there and it's a nice museum. My dad used to work at Keyport. However, I am suprised that they haven't added more security since 9/11, as it is a sensitive base. I know that you can't get into the Fort Lewis military museum without knowing someone assigned there, and McCord's museum is the same way.

Edited by Dwoodford

Just to be sure you understand. The Naval Museum is at Keyport, WA on he Kitsap Penasula not on Whidbey Island. It is outside the gate and is very nice if you are an ex-sailor. Whidbey Island is our favorite

place to go Geocaching. If you drive south from Anacortis to Deception

Pass, there is a lot of very nice caches in Oak Harbor. If you take the Ferry to Port Townsend, you can then go across the Hood Canal Bridge and head towards Poulsbo. The Museum at Keyport is south of

Poulsbo and north of Bremerton. However I would suggest driving on to the south end of Whidbey and taking the Ferry from Clinton to Mukilteo.

The rainy season ends in late July then starts again in late August :laughing:

That's still a bit optimistic as it starts up again in early August. :laughing:

Actually, the Bellevue Arts & Crafts Festival, over 50 years ago, choose the last weekend in July as it statistically was the weekend with the least chance for rain.

Do check out the bookmarks thread above.

Whidbey Island is a must do, assuming you have a car.

I agree with Allanon. Let us have an event to properly welcome you to the city and most of us are willing to do the APE cache again. It is an hour east of town and includes a walk of over two miles through an old railroad tunnel.

The Seattle underground is a must do if you enjoy the history of a city that never should have made it.

June vacation in Seattle, hmmmmm?

Bring an umbrella.

psssstttt Here's a hint. The way we tell the tourists from the locals is that the locals wouldn't be caught dead with an umbrella.

Those with umbrellas are either tourists or wusses. Some think they are so sweet they will melt. :laughing::laughing::rolleyes:

June vacation in Seattle, hmmmmm?

Bring an umbrella.

psssstttt Here's a hint. The way we tell the tourists from the locals is that the locals wouldn't be caught dead with an umbrella.

:laughing:

Hmm, I was born in Washington, lived 18 of my 22 years in Washington and am from a family of Washington natives, and I use a umbrella. Moreover, I am just fine with using one. I don't use it all the time though. Besides, it keeps the rain off my GPS. :laughing:

Edited by Dwoodford

When you are in Anacortes, you might consider taking the little ferry to Guemes Island. There are two easy caches very near the Ferry slip on Guemes and one on the Anacortes side. The Ferry runs back and forth and you should be able to take the Ferry over, find the two caches and have some goodies at the Store and then catch the next Ferry all within an hour. Not sure what the fare is, but for old cachers like us it was only a dollar each, round trip. Dick

Is anyone familiar with Anacortes Kayaking Tours?

Just saw this question, so I don't know if you're still considering them. I've been on several kayak trips with them. (I'm not a paddler and don't have my own equipment.) I would rate them A+++++ for equipment (new, very good quality), safety, friendliness, guide training (by Blade Body Boat), everything. One of the trips I did with them was to Sucia Island--awesome! Last summer they started some multi-day trips--probably not a possibility for you, but I think I may do one this summer.

Is anyone familiar with Anacortes Kayaking Tours?

Just saw this question, so I don't know if you're still considering them. I've been on several kayak trips with them. (I'm not a paddler and don't have my own equipment.) I would rate them A+++++ for equipment (new, very good quality), safety, friendliness, guide training (by Blade Body Boat), everything. One of the trips I did with them was to Sucia Island--awesome! Last summer they started some multi-day trips--probably not a possibility for you, but I think I may do one this summer.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've booked a ninety-minute, kid friendly (my youngest is seven y.o.) tour around Bowman Bay with them. Looking forward to it!

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

I'm using some free ticket vouchers to fly to Seattle for a week at the end of June, and I'm looking for recommendations. My wife, my three kids (ages 7-14) and I will be traveling.

What caches would you recommend?

Restaurants?

Hotels?

Attractions? (I have a guide and have researched the standard stuff. Anything offbeat?)

Day trips? (I'm thinking of kayaking one day. Know any good guides/rental places?)

Is there anything you wouldn't recommend?

At this point, we're open to any suggestions. Is a car needed to get around? I'm thinking we could go car-less around the city for a couple of days, but would be necessary for day trips.

Horning in on your thread here a bit, I hope you don't mind. I'm going to be in Seattle as well, June 10-13 - but sadly on conference at the Marriott downtown, and will probably only have a couple of hours here and there, plus evenings to go caching. But I *will* go caching :rolleyes:

So, in doing my queries on the area I'll have easy access to, it looks as if there are a slew of puzzles and micros, but hardly anything in the way of regular caches to drop the batch of TBs that want to come with me off, or to trade them out. Am I missing something? Do you all have any cache recommendations for someone who's going to be hoofing it downtown?

Thanks to everyone who has replied to CacheNCarryMA with the attraction/ restaurant recommendations, I'll look some of those up. I wish I could get further afield, and spend more time there ... *sigh