looking to buy a 4X4

srt4guy

Dont forget the Liberty. It drives great on road, and will go most places off road. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Check out www.lostkjs.com if you need any proof what these things can do. The Liberty is more capible from the factory than the GC. (mostly b/c it's smaller and can fit places it can't) Almost any true 4x4 truck or SUV will get you off and on the road with proper upgrades and a good driver. If you want to go off road, stay away from the "fake suv's" like RAV4, CR-V as they state in the factory user manual that they are not ment for off road.

The Liberty is more capible from the factory than the GC.

I agree with everything you have said except for this. Depending on which GC your talking about I have to disagree. If your talking older GC, aka ZJ/WJ, I disagree. They aren't that much bigger (longer, but not wider). Longer wheelbase works better on hills, and solid front axles make for a heck of a difference in offroad performance. If your talking the new GC, aka WK, then I agree. Its huge, and also has independent front suspension (like the Liberty/KJ).

The Liberty is more capible from the factory than the GC.

I agree with everything you have said except for this. Depending on which GC your talking about I have to disagree. If your talking older GC, aka ZJ/WJ, I disagree. They aren't that much bigger (longer, but not wider). Longer wheelbase works better on hills, and solid front axles make for a heck of a difference in offroad performance. If your talking the new GC, aka WK, then I agree. Its huge, and also has independent front suspension (like the Liberty/KJ).

Sorry, we were talking about new vehicles in the previous post, and was following that lead. I agree what all of what you said above.

If the OP is going to go used, then yes, the ZJ/WJ's are better out of the box, but I would say that the XJ (Cherokee) is better than the ZJ/WJ's and would send the OP that route.

IFS has it's limitations, and I push them everytime I go out on the trail, but the ride down the highway is just cake. :P

I am just SO happy to see all the suggestions for JEEPS!

I drive a 99 Jeep Wrangler TJ. because of lack of cache it only has only a few mods. the most important being a lift (keep it in moderation mine is 2.5) with some good tires. It goes every where i want it to. and some places that once i get there i think "Why am i here?"

However, my little family has owned Cherokee's, Grand C's, Liberties, and we maybe be seeing a new TrailHawk soon.

My BIASED opinion is that you should get a jeep! YJ are great if you want cheap. you can fix it on the trail in most cases and parts and mods are sometimes heaper, but they have a greater roll factor then the new wranglers. The newest wrangler's like the 4 door Unlimited are it GREAT for "Party Caching" or carrying more gear.

Either way, don't let some foolio talk you into spending 10k on mods and new parts, as much as I want ALL of the cool stuff attacehd to my jeep I have to admit that it is just not necessary.

not a great idea buying a 4x4 at all.

The energy used in 1 year is equivalent to leaving your fridge door open for 7 years!

In Europe we tend to use smaller, conventional cars with decent tyres and they are more than adequate. I was in the French Alps 2 weeks ago and my snow tyres were more than adequate for all road use.

Remember we all have to share this planet.

Edited by CYBret

The energy used in 1 year is equivalent to leaving your fridge door open for 7 years!

In Europe we tend to use smaller, conventional cars with decent tyres and they are more than adequate. I was in the French Alps 2 weeks ago and my snow tyres were more than adequate for all road use.

-EDITED for CONTENT-

ummmm - while i appreciate your political opinon - that really didn't answer my original question.

thanks.

Edited by koneko

Oddly enough you guys have access to better 4x4s.

You make a fair point about need but you miss the point about need as well.

My Corolla does fine on most roads. However it can't take a trail. It can't climb, it can't crawl over rocks. My old 4x4 does that well and gets crappy fuel economy. That's ok I drive the corolla for most things and the 4x4 for trails and mud and the things the corolla can't do. The old 4x4 is a diesel, another thing Europe has more of than the USA (for no good reason that I can figure). I can put fry grease in the thing and drive it.

If I could only buy one vehicle though...It's got to be the one that does everthing. That's seldom a car. Keep in mind that in the USA we have access to a lot of roadless lands. If we lost all that, then a car would probably be just fine.

Edit:

Small cars caught on in the US in the 80's and they are catching on again. The USA had cheap gas for a long time. Those days are over. The true cost of roads and transporation is going to force tax up and the cost of gas as the USA loses out to China in sourcing fuel...is also going to go up. Simple economics will make the 4x4 a second car and the Small Efficient car as the first choice on the list.

Edited by Renegade Knight

At 290,000+ miles I sold my last Jeep Cherokee, 16 mpg, instead of fixing it; it still ran good but was pretty worn out.

I sold my custom 1-ton Suburban 454 Dualie. 8 mpg, because it didn't make economic sense to keep driving it after I sold my travel trailer. I camp a lot and usually slept in the back of it, so the cost of driving it was somewhat offset by having a comfy bed on the road. Best all-around cachemobile I've ever had though!

I bought an '06 Tahoe to replace it, 16 mpg, no way to get the advertised 21 mpg.

I sold it and bought a Kia Sportage, 31 mpg, but my son wanted it.

Traded him for his BMW 525i, 30 mpg but not much passenger or trunk room.

I will soon trade the BMW for another Jeep Cherokee... I have had 5 over the years and it is simply the best all-around highway and off-road combination... newer ones get 18 mpg, 4WD that takes me anywhere I will want to go, plenty of passenger room, decent cargo room, and will pull any size trailer I am likely to need.

I looked at the Subaru and Volvo 4WDs and just don't see them as a viable alternatives.

I drive around a big Dodge Durango 4x4, but it's all paid off. It will do most moderate 4x4 trails, but it only get about 12 mpg. So if I drive around all over on a Saturday geocaching it will cost me about $20-30 in gas. If I played golf it would cost me $60-$75 not counting the gas.

Of course my gas hog does cost me more money for gas during the year. I figure I spend around $2K/year in gas. But if I bought a Toyota Prius that gets 5 times the gas mileage I would save $1600/year in gas. But then I would have to pay a lot more than that in car payments. Also after about 5 years I would have to spend ~$5K for a new hybrid battery (they don't tell you that part of the deal), so there goes all my gas savings for 5 years back to Toyota. So I figure that I'm better off driving my Durango until she dies. The best part is that she'll go just about anywhere I want to go, plus I can take up to 7 people along for the ride! :P

It's easy to see that i am biased towards Jeeps as well. The midsize Cherokee XJ first came out in the early 80s and made a production run (there were a few minor changes over the years) til 2001. That was the last year it was made but there are plenty out there on the roads today. I made sure to buy one of the last ones made and i wouldn't consider selling it for any amount (make that anything less than a million :P ) at this point.

If you are looking for new then these of course won't be an option. Jeep has plenty of things to choose from today but i'm not convinced that they are all factory "trail worthy". I do know that they have one badged the Patriot and while i see it as light duty in the offroad department, it may be something of a good all around vehicle. I'm hoping to see and test drive one soon but the dealers around here have yet to get one in. It looks kinda similar to the Cherokee but i figure it's made with lighter duty components. The other side of the coin is that it will hopefully get better fuel mileage and have a low base price, making it something that i want to check out. :anibad:

I am just SO happy to see all the suggestions for JEEPS!

I drive a 99 Jeep Wrangler TJ. because of lack of cache it only has only a few mods. the most important being a lift (keep it in moderation mine is 2.5) with some good tires. It goes every where i want it to. and some places that once i get there i think "Why am i here?"

I have to disagree that the lift is the most important thing...

With exception of the Wrangler/CJ's, Skid Plates are more important and should be the first upgrade. Skids are much cheaper than the cost of fixing or replacing a tranny or tranfercase if you hit a rock and are not protected regardless whether or not you are lifted.

You should go Skids first, then lift & tires, then all the other extras.

:ph34r: I know the jeep god of thunder is going to strike me dead but here goes. :) I am no longer a jeep owner " :P GASP :P " and haven't been one for a couple of years. Can't change my geoname though. I drove my jeeps (CJ-5, YJ, Cherokee) everywhere. Took some hills, trails, mud and highways with the things. I admit, they always got me home but sometimes at a great cost. The repairs after some 4x4 adventures were very expensive. Small gas tanks, poor MPG, the areodynamics of a brick with the gas prices these days makes a guy have to look at other options for finding those terrain challenged caches. I now own an extended cab 4x4 pickup (make doesn't matter). A little more areodynamic, better gas milage, a bigger gas tank and it will get me to all but the most devilishly hidden caches. :laughing::laughing::P

The problem I have when caching is I have to drive a number of miles from home to score more caches. 200+ miles in any direction to get to a cache-rich environment. :) So I don't want to beat up :wacko: the vehicle I have to drive back home in.

Now nestled in the back end of my pickup is a 4-wheeler. :bad: I can beat it up all day and still have a vehicle to make it home with. Sorry but it will out climb, out turn, and out mud a jeep. :smile: I have been to a number of places with it that I know the jeeps couldn't go. :P My 4-wheeler is licensed for the road and has the sticker for public land use ($150 lifetime for both) so I can drive it almost anywhere in Montana (I haven't had it over 60mph yet and don't really plan on it either so the interstate is out). Of all the caches I've been to, there have only been a very few that an over-inflated jeep on steroids could get to that my pickup couldn't but I know of a few more that the jeep couldn't get to but my 4-wheeler could :) .

I had fun in the jeeps through the years and maybe will buy one again but with the gas prices these days I would go with the 4x4 that will get you the farthest. Most caches don't require a "lifted-juiced-up high performance jeep".

If you don't see any more posts from me, I went underground hiding :ph34r: from all the 915536 off jeep owners I just offended. :ph34r:

and

No!

I will not change my name.

It is Ok Red, someday you will see the light and return from your sinfull wanderings!

just as a side not, my wife is from montana - me from Wyoming.

I like 4 wheelers, but the option of no heat sucks in the winter, and it is even harder to make out in the back seat of a 4 wheeler than in the back seat of a Jeep! Oh, and the four wheeler doesn't have the option of attaching my 2 year old's car seat.

And i have purposely kept my jeep 'small', and i have been lots of places that pickups couldn't make it - but that is just my experience.

So i guess it is a matter of a fellas situation.

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota that is not an Off Road model (didn't think I'd need it) but then came Geocaching. Can the dealer add skid plates now?

Yeah, MOPAR will or rather should have skids for your Dakota.

On another note, in a wrangler, dont forget the steering box skid. I've seen those things get ripped off a frame before...that's no fun.

It is Ok Red, someday you will see the light and return from your sinfull wanderings!

just as a side not, my wife is from montana - me from Wyoming.

I like 4 wheelers, but the option of no heat sucks in the winter, and it is even harder to make out in the back seat of a 4 wheeler than in the back seat of a Jeep! Oh, and the four wheeler doesn't have the option of attaching my 2 year old's car seat.

And i have purposely kept my jeep 'small', and i have been lots of places that pickups couldn't make it - but that is just my experience.

So i guess it is a matter of a fellas situation.

My 1973 CJ5 had less heat than my 4-wheeler's handle bars. :sad: Back seat of a jeep........ back seat of a 4-wheeler, not much difference. :sad: Car seat - bungee cords... any questions. :)

I will not deny that a jeep can get around in tight places but the original thread wanted a good caching vehicle. The vast majority of caches I've been to don't even require a 4-wheel drive vehicle unless it is Winter. The high cost of vehicles and repairs makes it hard to take these vehicles off-road. $20,000+ :sad: for a new one. I like 4x4ing, getting all muddy and finding some nice aggressive hills and all that but I won't risk an axle or transmission for a cache. As for the 2-year old, both my kids are older (14 and 17) so I have a couple of 4-wheelers.

So I guess it is a matter of a fellas situation.

I owned a 95 wrangler a few years back, & sold it (was a 2.5L). Eventually bought a sportscar (near midlife crisis). Well, after owning that for 2 years, and selling off my jeep, I REALLY missed owning a wrangler. So, I bought another one this past august. Got the 6 speed 6 cyl wrangler. I've since put a modest 2" lift, and 31" tires on in. The only other mod I have planned is a new front bumper (stock ones look pretty wimpy). The heat in it is fine, road noise isnt bad, and, well, the new models have a FAR easier way to take the softtop off! And, I love driving around on nice days with the top down.

The downsides of wranglers are their gas mileage, as has been stated. If you dont plan on abusing your jeep, you can make it off road capable for less than a grand. A 2" budget lift is $200 or so, and can be installed in 90 minutes. Then, 31" tires, and you're set. If youre seriously worried about getting stuck, get a hi-lift jack, and some tow cables, so you can self-recover. Skid plates are cheap, or, if you have access to tools, dadgum near free, as you can make your own. My brother, when he's home, makes all kinds of armor for his jeep. IMHO, if you want to take something offroad, go Jeep. The more dents & dings, the better it looks :sad:

Skid plates are down on my list as far as must haves. I'm saying this because of where i live, very rarely a need for them here in southeast Texas. I have an ATV (4wheeler) as well but i can't imagine caching with it in too many places down here either. It all depends on where you cache the most i suppose.

Basic needs for a 4x4 that hits the trails would be as follows, listed in order of importance (IMO):

• Tools, 12 volt air pump, and a decent jack.
  • Stock tires are fine for 90+% of caches out there but for those other few %, more agressive might mean the difference between success or failure.
  • Whether it's from the factory or aftermarket, a lift is always nice to have for that additional ground clearance when used in conjunction with those larger, more agressive tires.
  • An electric winch can be a lifesaver but you can usually make due with a chain, some cable, and a good set of come-alongs.
  • Skidplates if you plan on hitting any rocky terrain.
  • Spare fuel container, mounted safely, for those longer than usual trips.

:laughing: My XTerra is bone stock other than the tires, and honestly, every time I get behind the wheel I enjoy it more than the last. I have enjoyed driving Jeeps in the past, and they absolutely have their reputation for a reason. I wouldn't trade back to one though. There's a lot to be said for comfort and reliability. :ph34r:

011a8943-d669-485b-8d21-64b9f75aabab.jpg

I don't know if you're sold on getting a 4x4, but I've been interested in going in a completely different route.

Check out this page. Now, being a driver of big trucks this is not that large of a vehicle. I know some folks don't like overly large vehicles, but even the largest is just a tad longer than a F-350 Super Crew. You won't be taking this through the drive-thru, but I've gotten much larger vehicles in fast food parking lots.

22mpg, sleep in it, prepare food in it, haul toys inside or pull up to 5,000 lbs., and generally set it up however you want.

I think this package is highly versatile.

I have a mildly modified 99 Cherokee..Rear locker, stock suspension, 30x950 at's and it does great, but would love to have an old Unimog for the serious stuff. Talking about an awesome trail ride for stock, then my next pick would be a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon...Good luck...NE4ME

I have a Chevy Tahoe to carry all my cache gear and cachers, but my personal favorite caching vehicle is my mountain bike. It's light enough to pick up over logs and it can go absolutely anywhere. Throw in zero emissions and it's a true winner. Last summer I managed to find all my caches without the use of a motor vehicle, although this year I have to go a bit further.

Robert

Like Night Stalker, 57 Chevy, and JC Geo, I have an Xterra 07 SE. I've only had it off road once in the 2 months that I've owned it, but I love it. As RK said in his post, there are a lot of options to look at. I'm considering strongly, the option of skidplates or at a minimum the lightweight plates provide by Nissan. I'd go to YouTubes and look at some of the MOAB videos. If you think you're going to be doing some of this stuff, tougher is better, but for most caching I doublt you'll be doing much of this. Cheers :blink:

...So i guess it is a matter of a fellas situation.

That covers a lot of ground.

SGT red jeep covers a lot of true things. The Jeep is long overdue for some much needed updating. It is a great 4x4 especially in the Rubicon version, but even so it could be a lot better than it is if they did upate it.

umm...you do know that they changed EVERYTHING about the wrangler for the 2007 model, right? Don't really see how they can update it when it's a completely different jeep now.

...umm...you do know that they changed EVERYTHING about the wrangler for the 2007 model, right? Don't really see how they can update it when it's a completely different jeep now.
I didn't know that. I'll have to take a look. They must look the same though.
If you squint, they look exactly the same. Personally, I hate the new plastic front fenders very much.

Edited to add that I think one of the best things about older Jeeps is that they were very simple vehicles. If something broke, you ripped it out and put a new one in. The new Wranglers are getting downright complicated.

Edited by sbell111

thanks to all who have thrown in their opinons and have added info for me to check out - i'm currently looking at 2003 jeep libertys -

hope to have a new pic to add to the topic soon =)

If you are looking at a liberty, you should look at the Xterra as well. You will probaby find that for the money The Xterra is both more capable (actually it flat out is more capable) has more room and gets the same or better MPG. In all honesty I'd consier the Xterra a 1st Tier 4x4 the the Liberty a 2nd tier. Meaning the Xterra is one of the top 10 stock 4x4's you can buy in the USA while the Liberty is in the also ran pack with about 40 other SUV's that all do ok but just don't make the cut.

The newer style Xterra is the one to get. I don't know if they go back to 2003. But if you are going to get used I'd put the Grand Chrokee on the list as well. T hey are fairly reasonable, and the prior generation Grand Chrokees are pretty dang good 4x4s. Much better than that Liberty thing.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The newer style Xterra is the one to get. I don't know if they go back to 2003. But if you are going to get used I'd put the Grand Chrokee on the list as well. T hey are fairly reasonable, and the prior generation Grand Chrokees are pretty dang good 4x4s. Much better than that Liberty thing.

even with all the great posts about jeep cherokees - i'm staying away from em.

1) my loan options require me to purchase a 2000 or newer vehicle.

2) Consumer Reports had nothing good to say about the cherokee

3) my brother had one and it was nothing but misery.

4) my financial situation requires some kind of a warranty on my 'new-to-me' car. chances are i won't find a cherokee with that.

between what i've heard about libertys and what consumer reports says as well as the price range i've found them in - they are definitely being considered.

but now i'll be adding the xterra to that list. just keep your fingers crossed that those are in my price range too!

thanks!

4) my financial situation requires some kind of a warranty on my 'new-to-me' car. chances are i won't find a cherokee with that.

between what i've heard about libertys and what consumer reports says as well as the price range i've found them in - they are definitely being considered.

but now i'll be adding the xterra to that list. just keep your fingers crossed that those are in my price range too!

thanks!

It might be important to note that Cherokees and Grand Cherokees are two completely different animals. I have nothing but good stuff to say about my WJ Grand Cherokee and my last WJ gave it's life to save mine.

thanks!

It might be important to note that Cherokees and Grand Cherokees are two completely different animals. I have nothing but good stuff to say about my WJ Grand Cherokee and my last WJ gave it's life to save mine.

My sister had a two wheel drive Cherokee and she had quite a bit of trouble with it. Also had a friend of ours that had one which they ended up not liking. I on the other hand have had such good luck with mine that i ended up buying another. Bought the 94 new and within a couple of months, i installed a 4 inch lift kit and 31" tires. It's been through the mill and has well over 100,000 miles on it now, but i've only had to replace tires, the brakes, and the waterpump. Did have the front driveshaft rebuilt but that was expected because of the lift. An observation, they quit making the Cherokee (XJ) in 2001, 6 years ago, but you still see a alot of them on the road today.

I've looked at the Xterra too and it looked pretty darn good. You can certainly find a late model with warranty left on it so that might be your best option. My opinion, the Xterra is more trailworthy than the Liberty.

....3) my brother had one and it was nothing but misery.

4) my financial situation requires some kind of a warranty on my 'new-to-me' car. chances are i won't find a cherokee with that....

With that extra info things change a bit.

First Consumer reports is great for reliablity info. They flat out suck at picking a viable and good 4x4. I'd rely on them for the former, but would not trust them for the latter. I'm not sure if it's a bias towards great "on road ride" or what but it's fairly consistant. They tend to rate Jeeps in general as less reliable than other vehicles, and that's probably a fair assessment. Reality is any one Jeep may be trouble free but they look at overall averages.

I think #4 would still steer you towards an Xterra with the other info you have given.

If after you look at one and you still like the Liberty, I'll shut up. My work is done if you just look. :rolleyes:

thanks!

Don't discount the Liberty. The trail rated 4X4 (with hooks and armor) will get you just about anywhere you're likely to go, and the approach and departure angles are better on it than most. We researched them all while looking for a caching vehicle. You can find a magazine article (I forget which one) that did an off-road test of several SUVs, including the Xterra and Liberty. Both had areas in which they were better than the other. I think the Xterra came out very slightly ahead, and rated higher on rocky roads, though I remember that the Liberty did better in soft sand.

Bottom line is listen to everyone's recommendations, do your own research and decide what will work best for your given parameters.

My wife was interested in a Liberty Renegade for a while. When we were in the market for a new vehicle for her, we took one for a test drive. It was OK, but we both found it to be too cramped inside.

That's what I found. It's too small for how big it is. Plus I liked the diesel but the MPG wasn't that great for a diesel so why spend the money? I wandered over to the other used rigs and kicked more tires and dropped it from my list. Of course I'm driving a 4x4 someone gave me...when it runs. Mostly it's a prop for the local U's diesel technology program. Maybe this year I'll get to put the second tank of gas in it...Or they will come out with a diesel Xterra or FJ. If they didn't cost money, if the kids didn't need bleed me with orthodontics...

unfortunately, all the xterras i've looked at have too many miles on them to be considered for my loan -

the liberty also has an 8 year/80000 mile factory warranty on it, fits my loan restrictions, looks good in CR, has had (for the most part) great reviews from most folks i've talked to -

all i need to do now is go test drive one =)

unfortunately, all the xterras i've looked at have too many miles on them to be considered for my loan -

the liberty also has an 8 year/80000 mile factory warranty on it, fits my loan restrictions, looks good in CR, has had (for the most part) great reviews from most folks i've talked to -

Ignoring the loan restrictions and the fact that Liberty owners seem willing to part with them much sooner than Xterra owners (hint, hint), how did you like the Xterra relative to the Liberty? Did it drive well, how was the room, cargo space etc?

Ignoring the loan restrictions and the fact that Liberty owners seem willing to part with them much sooner than Xterra owners (hint, hint), how did you like the Xterra relative to the Liberty? Did it drive well, how was the room, cargo space etc?

i never got to drive one - i can't afford to purchase one, so i never went for a test drive. =(

Options.

You want all the 4x4 options offered. If it's a trail rated packages, make sure it has that. If they offer skid plates, larger tires etc. make sure it has that. If you want to know what options were available...Check eBay for a brocure. I found one for a 97 Land Cruiser FZJ 80 (one of my personal favorite 4x4's) on eBay and found the options.

Check for HD cooling (probably not an option)

Check for upgraded shocks.

Check for traction control

Check for a real locker or rear limited slip differenial. (Front locker is probaby not an option)

Don't settle. If you are going to get a Liberty, get a good one. Most people won't scavange the junk yards to add this equipment later, and heck it's chaper to get it on the rig now than do it that way anyway.

If a rear wiper is an option make sure it has that option. Handy as heck for getting rid of trail dust.

Your pic shows a roof rack. Roof racks need cross bars to attach things too...are they missing or an option? Did it come with cargo tie downs for the inside? Make sure the assessories it did come with are not missing.

Did it have different version of the 4x4 system? Check the versions and make sure you have the one that's best for 4x4.

If there is a trailering packages for it, that's normally good option (unless it lowers your axle ratios then it gives you crappy MPG) since it upgrades your cooling system and normally gives you trailer wiring and hopefully a reciever.

Options.

You want all the 4x4 options offered. If it's a trail rated packages, make sure it has that. If they offer skid plates, larger tires etc. make sure it has that. If you want to know what options were available...Check eBay for a brocure. I found one for a 97 Land Cruiser FZJ 80 (one of my personal favorite 4x4's) on eBay and found the options.

Check for HD cooling (probably not an option)

Check for upgraded shocks.

Check for traction control

Check for a real locker or rear limited slip differenial. (Front locker is probaby not an option)

Don't settle. If you are going to get a Liberty, get a good one. Most people won't scavange the junk yards to add this equipment later, and heck it's chaper to get it on the rig now than do it that way anyway.

If a rear wiper is an option make sure it has that option. Handy as heck for getting rid of trail dust.

Your pic shows a roof rack. Roof racks need cross bars to attach things too...are they missing or an option? Did it come with cargo tie downs for the inside? Make sure the assessories it did come with are not missing.

Did it have different version of the 4x4 system? Check the versions and make sure you have the one that's best for 4x4.

If there is a trailering packages for it, that's normally good option (unless it lowers your axle ratios then it gives you crappy MPG) since it upgrades your cooling system and normally gives you trailer wiring and hopefully a reciever.

can i get options on a used vehicle?

what is HD cooling?

btw - i WILL scavange junk yards to find auto parts - did it for my old 95 neon and the 93 sentra (course it wasn't that hard for those two) - but i'm not afraid of digging and getting my hands dirty -

also i do know that this model has the part time commad-trac transfer case

i got the winow sticker faxed to me - optional equipment:

among many "standard" options, side rails were added (not a roof rack) - whoever bought this originally didn't buy it for the 4wd capacity (at least i don't think so)

... Your pic shows a roof rack. Roof racks need cross bars to attach things too...are they missing or an option? Did it come with cargo tie downs for the inside? Make sure the assessories it did come with are not missing. ...
These are both options on the Grand Cherokee. They probably are on the Liberty, also.