looking to buy a 4X4

srt4guy

That's dependent on many, many factors. How many people will you carry? How severe do you expect the terrain to be? Will it be your daily driver? Does that include heavy mud or water crossings?

The most important thing to keep in mind is that every extra part you put on a vehicle will add weight and cut down on your mileage...so don't go overboard and get everything you can, just because you can.

Some essential modifications:

- Off-road tires

- Improved skid plates

- Extra lights, including a rear spotlight

- CB or other longer-range radio, with hard-wired antenna

- Portable air compressor that can attach directly to car battery

- High-lift jack

- Recovery hooks, front & rear

Other recommendations, depending on how far you'll be travelling and much you plan to beat it up:

- Lift kit & larger tires (with full-size spare)

- Lockers

- Winch

- Exterior jerry-can mounts (NOT the kind that sit in front of the rear bumper)

In my opinion, brush guards and snorkels are rarely necessary...Grille guards, in particular, will add a LOT of extra weight for minimal benefit.

As for me? I love my cachemobile. I just wish it had two things: air conditioning, and a lot more power!

If it's to be a cachemobile remember that someone had to go before you to place the cache. You need no more than what they had.

With very rare exception an as-built Jeep Cherokee or Chevy Tahoe 4wd will take you to any cache.

I have owned a number of Cherokees, and while you can get them stuck, you have to try!

The Tahoe carries 5 adults, plenty of gear, tows up to 8k lbs, is nicely appointed, has front and rear air, drives like a car on the road and a truck in the woods, at 16 to 18 mpg.

I'm not only a geocacher but an avid hunter and fisherman, and my 2006 Tahoe took me everywhere I asked it to, into some pretty muddy and extreme terrain, on street tires!

If it's to be a cachemobile remember that someone had to go before you to place the cache. You need no more than what they had.

With very rare exception an as-built Jeep Cherokee or Chevy Tahoe 4wd will take you to any cache.

Since I already have a daily driver I'm building one of these for my GeoCaching Rig.

Simple, cheap and durable.

untitledzk5.png

Right now the '87 Pathfinder with 300k + miles has to do.

You ain't sold me that yet? :cool:

Back on topic:

What kind of terrain are you planning on? Driving down dirt roads, or By God Muddin'? I think the bare minimum for serious off roading would be a winch to pull you out, skid plates to avoid getting hung up on hidden obstructions and decent tires. If you do plan to go extreme, be sure not to spend much $$$ on appearances. Dents, scrapes, knocking off mirrors, snapping radio antennas, etc, are just part of the daily drive.

LANDROVER!!!!!

The ONLY real go-anywhere off-raod vehicle.

Goodies? ......

Diff-locks - rear essential, front optional - ARB Air-lockers are the best.

Old Man Emu suspension

Air intake snorkel

Diesel engine.

Warn winch

........ and the world is yours ......

My geodog would not take anything less than a bed; so, I got her an 07 Tacoma long bed. For myself, I added 4drs, 4X4, 6-cd stereo, and side air bags :blink: . I got her a softtop for the bed - not for the rain but for shade in the summer. Soon, I will add a front ARP locker. I have a light bar and 3-inch lift kit on order. One other major thing I want to add is a second car battery.

Someone mentioned an in-dash GPS. I specifically avoided one. I saw one in an 05 Landcruiser and it had no inputs to download waypoints. Besides, I have two cars and it's nice to be able to move my 2610 or 60cs between the two vehicles.

Edited by Chuy!
... Someone mentioned an in-dash GPS. I specifically avoided one. I saw one in an 05 Landcruiser and it had no inputs to download waypoints. Besides, I have two cars and it's nice to be able to move my 2610 or 60cs between the two vehicles.
A year or so ago, I was looking at Jeep options and noticed that one of them was a built in dock for a Jeep branded Garmin Quest (or Quest2). I thought that it was a good alternative to the standard nav systems that are offered on most vehicles.

5a672e26-96a1-4d25-a4fd-5c84173586f1.jpg

As for my opinion, I'll stick with my 02 WJ Laredo, for a few more years.

Edited by sbell111

Regardless of your cachemobile choice, be sure to test your geocaching equipment setup. Will your GPS mount work on the windshield, or is the slope of the glass awkward? If you use a dashboard mount, is the surface level enough? Can you read the GPS safely and comfortably? Does the vehicle you're interested in have custom windows (tinted, etc.) that interfere with GPS signal? If you use a laptop computer, is there a convenient outlet for a power inverter, and a comfortable and safe way to mount the laptop on a stand?

Take your gear with you for the test drive. The sales droid looked at me way funny when I did that, but I didn't care. I'm a geocacher. I drove straight from the dealership to an offroading cache to break it in! :blink:

I bought my cachemobile before I started out caching, but once I started it turned out to be a great choice. Its an 02 Toyota Tacoma TRD edition. The TRD comes with a little lift and larger tires, locking rear diff, better suspension, and some undercarriage protection. I have the extended cab with a snugtop on the back. The dogs love it in the back, and it keeps the drool and hair off the interior. With the 4x4 and locking rear diff I'm pretty confident I can go anywhere any stock jeep can and more. The best part is its super comfortable. I drive it daily and it drives great, no noisy cold in the winter, hot in the summer soft top, nice air conditioning, nice stereo, etc.

... With the 4x4 and locking rear diff I'm pretty confident I can go anywhere any stock jeep can and more. ...
One of the things that I like about my Grand Cherokee is that I have plenty of drive options. I can choose from 2wd, 4wd High (full-time), 4wd High (part-time), 4wd Low (part-time) and both axels neutral for towing. The 4wd full-time choice locks the rear, but not the front. The part-time choice locks them both. Also, I can shift between them on-the-fly which allows me to gain a few MPGs by keeping it in 2wd but allows me to go to 4wd if it gets a little sloppy.
... With the 4x4 and locking rear diff I'm pretty confident I can go anywhere any stock jeep can and more. ...
One of the things that I like about my Grand Cherokee is that I have plenty of drive options. I can choose from 2wd, 4wd High (full-time), 4wd High (part-time), 4wd Low (part-time) and both axels neutral for towing. The 4wd full-time choice locks the rear, but not the front. The part-time choice locks them both. Also, I can shift between them on-the-fly which allows me to gain a few MPGs by keeping it in 2wd but allows me to go to 4wd if it gets a little sloppy.

That sounds pretty slick. My toyota just has the 2-hi, 4-hi, and 4-low. You can shift between 2 and 4 high on the fly below 50mph, so I can do the same thing, keep it in 2 to save on gas, then switch over to 4 when I need it. Originally the locking rear diff could only be enabled in 4-low, but there is a simple one wire mod you can do to enable it in any gear. 4-hi with the rear diff locked works like a champ in all the sand we have here. Plus with the rear locked in 2-hi in the snow makes for an excellent driving experience, not to mention a wicked donut-machine :blink:

... Does the vehicle you're interested in have custom windows (tinted, etc.) that interfere with GPS signal?...
Admittedly a tech dummy, but do tinted windows interfere with a GPS receiver?

Tint blocking light waves makes sense to my feeble mind, but radio waves?

Some tints have a magnetic component that block signals.

Some people have reported that the windshields of some vehicles do not allow a signal to pass.

... Does the vehicle you're interested in have custom windows (tinted, etc.) that interfere with GPS signal?...

Some tints have a magnetic component that block signals.

Some people have reported that the windshields of some vehicles do not allow a signal to pass.

My wife's old Toyota had that problem. It simply would lose signal immediately unless it was literally pressed right up against the window. Royally irritating, to say the least.

I have an '07 Jeep Liberty 4x4 and it fits my needs well. Gets me almost anywhere. Make sure you get the offroad package which has a full set of good skid plates and heavy duty cooling. First thing to do is to ditch the lame tires that come on it. Why Jeep chooses to put highway tires on a trail rated vehicle is beyond me. I also put a 2.5" lift on it. Carries 5 people and gear into the wild and can be a daily driver as well.

$21.5k from my local dealer.

Edited by scoobybri

I see alot of great ideas so far, but if you just want a weekend cachemobile like me, go cheaper! I have a 92' full-size Bronco. Sure it gets horrible gas mileage, but it is huge and I have been in some pretty hairy situations and I have never gotten stuck. Usually the horsepower gets me out, but a winch is always a good idea too. I have the stock suspension and some good BFG allterrains. I fit all my camping and survival gear in the back with room to spare. The dashboard is big and flat for good dash mounted GPS. Throw in the Sirius Satellite and a CB, and your set! Plus I have a rod holder on the headliner that holds four of my favorite fishing poles. The roof comes off all the later Broncos, so those nice days get even nicer with no roof! Just an idea that can range anywhere from 500 bucks to 5000! Very comfortably seats four or five and my dog has tons of room too.

Why Jeep chooses to put highway tires on a trail rated vehicle is beyond me.

It's been my experience that any time a question starts out with the words, "Why don't they...", the answer is usually money. :(

It might also be a safety/liability issue.

Truth of the matter is that "Trail Rated" or not 90% of them will never be any farther from the road than a parking lot. All season tires are what most owners will ever need.

Why Jeep chooses to put highway tires on a trail rated vehicle is beyond me.
It's been my experience that any time a question starts out with the words, "Why don't they...", the answer is usually money. :(
It might also be a safety/liability issue.
Truth of the matter is that "Trail Rated" or not 90% of them will never be any farther from the road than a parking lot. All season tires are what most owners will ever need.
Absolutely. The company also avoids complaints about the tires being loud. Edited by sbell111

LANDROVER!!!!!

The ONLY real go-anywhere off-raod vehicle.

as long as you carry a parts store worth of spare parts in the back, they are great! :(

Being that the Landrover you drive probably isnt readily available in the states, I would have to go Jeep. Ive owned a built XJ (small cherokee), and a semi built TJ (97+ wrangler). I LOVED my XJ. Lots of room, great off road. I love my TJ, its my daily driver. You can easily go topless (big plus), go anywhere off road, but its not as practicel if you want to haul anything.

SO my choice for all around great, and inexpensive, 4x4 is the Cherokee. You can pick up nice, newer examples for $5000 very easily. They have plenty of room to haul you, 4 other adults, and all your gear. Get one with the 4.0L engine, and the AW4 auto (all autos are the Aw4), and you will have a very dependable rig. Throw a small 2" life, and some 31" tires on it, and it will take you many places with ease.

I have owned a number of Cherokees, and while you can get them stuck, you have to try!

The Tahoe carries 5 adults, plenty of gear, tows up to 8k lbs, is nicely appointed, has front and rear air, drives like a car on the road and a truck in the woods, at 16 to 18 mpg.

I'm not only a geocacher but an avid hunter and fisherman, and my 2006 Tahoe took me everywhere I asked it to, into some pretty muddy and extreme terrain, on street tires!

We have two Cherokees and they just can't be beat. One is lifted, runs bigger tires, has a winch and it has gotten us to a couple of tough caches that some stock 4x4 vehicles couldn't handle. However, tough caches are few and far between down here so our factory stock Cherokee works perfectly.

I mention the Cherokee not only for it's being very capable in stock form but, that you can find a good used one (they don't make em anymore) at a good price. There are several makes and models to choose from so the final decision should be based on what you like and what kind of terrain you see that you may be using it in.

You generally won't find a need for extra offroad lighting, spare fuel cans, highlift jack, etc,,, in our area but i'm sure there are caches out there where these could be lifesavers! :unsure:

All the other responders already know this, but in case you're as ignorant as I was when I first started checking for a 4WD vehicle, here some VERY BASIC info before you start looking:

Not all Jeeps are 4WD! (D'OH!)

Not all 4WD's are really 4WD's! If you want something for offroad geocaching, steer clear of vehicles that are "All wheel drive" or "Constant 4WD" or anything like that.

The first one I had was a 97 jeep TJ. It was awesome for everyting but towing. There wasn't a trail that I came arcoss that I couldn't handle. Now I have a 90 ford 350 crew cab desile. There isn't much that it can't handle and I can carry five tmes as much plus take stuff to the dump. For my money I would go with an older pickup.

I bought a new Xterra for my caching vehicle. Like many of the other vehicles out there not all Xterra's are created equal. If you are serious about off roading you will want the off road model with bigger more aggressive tires (though they are upgraded to real off road tires as soon as money is available) rear lockers and descent control. It also comes with skid plates though they are pretty light weight. The best thing of all is that my wife bought it for me so I got the best of both worlds.

Another vote for the XJ Cherokee. They are plentiful, affordable, and get better mileage than a Wrangler, in spite of their larger size. They are the lightest 4x4 in their class. They can easily and cheaply be modified, due to their solid axles front and back. Due to their light weight, the 4.0 version has power out the wazoo. This one has the Limited package: power windows, power leather heated seats, power locks, Inifinity Sound System, air, cruise, limited slip. Superlift/ProComp suspension with 3" lift and 31" Bridgestone Revos. Tow points front & rear. No brush guard, winch, or skid plates (I like to keep it light).

I have no idea what I'll replace it with, aside from another used XJ. I'm torn between the FJ Cruiser, XTerra, or H3; or maybe that goofy 4-door Wranger (they could just revive the XJ, for cryin' out loud).

IMG_4950.jpg

Tinting is normally a very thin coating of aluminum on mylar. The aluminum is conductive, and tends to reflect all or part of the electro-magnetic signal. It really cuts down on reception inside--and transmissions from inside a vehicle. Tinted windows can seriously degrade your ability to receive GPS signals, which are pretty weak to begin with. They can also significantly limit the useful range of FRS, GMRS, and other handheld tranceivers.

The same is true of some windows with imbedded antennas or defrosters.

Oh, and back on topic: I drive an 1989 Jeep Cherokee cachemobile. My philosophy is, get an old beater, fix it up so it can take more beatings, and then drive it like a rental. 3" lift, 9.5 by 30" tires, recovery points front and rear.

Location_of_our_next_CITO_event.jpg

A snorkel does help cut down on dust in dry areas, but is only one minor step in getting a vehicle ready for deep water...

If your rig is old enough to vote, brush guards and such to protect the finish become much less important. <_<

Dave_W6DPS

Edited by Dave_W6DPS
If your rig is old enough to vote,

My favorite line in this post! <_<

Another shameless Cherokee post: 6 years ago, I drove a Cherokee as a patrol vehicle. I drove it through places where no sane person would drive anything short of an airboat, and never got it stuck. Whilst I might complain about it's cramped interior and lack of top end speed, I can't complain about it's performance. Most impressive. My next two cop cars were/are Ford Explorers, and I've had them sitting on the frame on several occasions.

hey all -

after my poor little sentra got totaled last week (on it's way to a cache, of course!) i find myself looking for a new-to-me vehicle. seeing as how the sentra constantly thought it was an off road vehicle (nothing i could do about it, i swear!) i'm looking to pick something up along those lines to help out with my caching addiction =)

my problem is, i know NOTHING about what i should look for in a 4wd vehicle (awd, 4wd, permanent, low-range etc etc etc)

can anyone give me some suggestions on where (preferably online) i can read up on some basics in off-roading vehicles before i start looking?

thanks!

'neko

hey all -

after my poor little sentra got totaled last week (on it's way to a cache, of course!) i find myself looking for a new-to-me vehicle. seeing as how the sentra constantly thought it was an off road vehicle (nothing i could do about it, i swear!) i'm looking to pick something up along those lines to help out with my caching addiction =)

my problem is, i know NOTHING about what i should look for in a 4wd vehicle (awd, 4wd, permanent, low-range etc etc etc)

can anyone give me some suggestions on where (preferably online) i can read up on some basics in off-roading vehicles before i start looking?

thanks!

'neko

AWDs are a good choice if you know you are routinely going to be dealing with slick surfaces (snow and ice). They don't usually have as much ground clearance and aren't normally considered a "true" 4wheel drive, but they would probably do well in most situations. I'm thinking something like the Honda CRV would be a good choice in this category. It looks to be very capable for it's size, and on top of that, would get good gas mileage to boot.

Me personally, i like something that has normal rear wheel drive and a transfer case. As stated above, you can't go wrong with the Cherokee (perform well, cheap, reliable, and plenty of aftermarket parts). The Xterra, 4runnner, h3, and Explorer are also capable vehicles. Older CJs and Wranglers will certainly do the trick but the ride is a bit rougher than most and cargo space is limited. The newer 4 door Unlimited (gasp :D), might be something to look at as well.

AWDs are a good choice if you know you are routinely going to be dealing with slick surfaces (snow and ice). They don't usually have as much ground clearance and aren't normally considered a "true" 4wheel drive, but they would probably do well in most situations. I'm thinking something like the Honda CRV would be a good choice in this category. It looks to be very capable for it's size, and on top of that, would get good gas mileage to boot.

Me personally, i like something that has normal rear wheel drive and a transfer case. As stated above, you can't go wrong with the Cherokee (perform well, cheap, reliable, and plenty of aftermarket parts). The Xterra, 4runnner, h3, and Explorer are also capable vehicles. Older CJs and Wranglers will certainly do the trick but the ride is a bit rougher than most and cargo space is limited. The newer 4 door Unlimited (gasp :P), might be something to look at as well.

Thanks -

I'm out on cape cod, so lots of snow and ice don't exist out here (no really, i'm serious) lots of slush - but even my sentra could manage that mess when i needed it to. so i'm not terribly worried about having something special for day to day driving - i just know know that when it comes to caching, i'll take my car off road even when it isn't made to drive off road (which i really why i'm looking for something off road *G*)

thanks for the info - i've heard a lot about cherokees - i'd like to keep the size of the vehicle relatively normal - so no major SUVs for me - i'm really liking the jeeps lately - (but i've always wanted a jeep, so my judgement is a bit clouded *g*) - i guess it's time to start lookin closer at cherokees =)

'neko

Thanks -

I'm out on cape cod, so lots of snow and ice don't exist out here (no really, i'm serious) lots of slush - but even my sentra could manage that mess when i needed it to. so i'm not terribly worried about having something special for day to day driving - i just know know that when it comes to caching, i'll take my car off road even when it isn't made to drive off road (which i really why i'm looking for something off road *G*)

thanks for the info - i've heard a lot about cherokees - i'd like to keep the size of the vehicle relatively normal - so no major SUVs for me - i'm really liking the jeeps lately - (but i've always wanted a jeep, so my judgement is a bit clouded *g*) - i guess it's time to start lookin closer at cherokees =)

'neko

The Cherokee is a pretty good option. I was actually shopping for a Cherokee when we fell in love with our first Grand Cherokee. I've been really, really happy with my Grand Cherokees.

Full Time 4WD does not lock the rear and not the front. It unlocks the center from each other and creates an open connection similar to an open differential. Part time 4WD locks the center so 50% goes in front and back.

Back OT. I have an 2005 Jeep KJ Liberty with a 2.5" lift and good tires. It's taken me anywhere I've needed to go.

2072883_37_full.jpg

Factory Options.

Front and Rear Locking Differentials.

A center differential that locks as well.

A Low Range for crawling.

31" or larger tires available stock.

Skid Plates.

Auto Trannie or Manual, your choice.

Super Cooling option if they have it.

Excellent Window Defrosting including the rear.

A Rear Wiper. Handy for mud and dust.

After Market:

Body Armor,

Larger tires.

Changing your gear ratios in the axles if needed.

A winch.

Bumpers to match the winch and move your spare outside the inside or underneath.

Lockers front and rear if you couldn't get them from the factory.

When buying new I'd look for a few things.

First, you need aftermarket support. A Lada may be a classic but you can't get parts easily.

Second it should be capapable off of the factory floor.

That rules out 95 Percent of the SUV's on the market.

A short list to consider (and some of these fall short.)

Jeep Rubicon

Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Toyota, TRD Xtra cab trucks, 4 Runne, FJ Land Cruiser, Land Cruiser

Hummer real and GM versions.

Xterra.

Land Rover (or is it Range Rover..?)

That's about it. A lot of others will do 80% of the job, more still 70%.

The list is longer if you are willing to consider used.

Edited by Renegade Knight