small request

flask

when you upload a photo, theres a "view" button that takes you back to your log page. this is very handy if you're linking logs together.

otherwise if you want to edit your log you have to go to the cache page, then find your log (and if you are perennially behind like me, it's two extra clicks) and then click on your log.

there's no reason i can't continue to do that, but the button would make things just a little simpler. it's already in place on the "upload photo" page, so i'm assuming it would make the transition fairly smoothly.

can we have it? huh? huh?

no, see, it's like this: when you write the logs and submit them you get the "edit a cache log" page, and if you link that you get a link to the cache description page. you have to view your cache log on a sepatrate page and if you're behind in your logging, you have to go back from the main page to the "view all logs" page.

if i go through the "upload image" page (even if i am not uploading an image) it's still two extra clicks, although the upload image page has exactly the button i'm looking for, the "view log" button.

I'm thinking she wants to put a link to the log she just finished typing into another log she is about to type. But after submitting the log, you are taken to the "EDIT THIS LOG" page, not the "VIEW THIS LOG ON A SEPERATE PAGE" page...so she can't copy the URL without going back to the cache page and clicking the link next to her log.

Flask, did I get that right?

Everyone else, did it make any more sense?

I'm thinking she wants to put a link to the log she just finished typing into another log she is about to type. But after submitting the log, you are taken to the "EDIT THIS LOG" page, not the "VIEW THIS LOG ON A SEPERATE PAGE" page...so she can't copy the URL without going back to the cache page and clicking the link next to her log.

Flask, did I get that right?

Everyone else, did it make any more sense?

yes, yes, yes!

I never knew there was a burning need to reference a log in one cache, within a log of another cache. How often is this done? Considering it's already fairly easy to do if you're using a tabbed browser, I'd have to put the really far down on the list of site changes I'd want implemented.

it's pretty common. i do it for most of my logs, and i do it with a tabbed browser. given that this button already exists on the photo upload page, it's probably a quick cut-and-paste job.

there are a number of us (i can't tell you if this is a significant number) who link together all the logs from one day or we link together the logs from the people on the trip. it's a nice little addition to the story and i think adding the button would take just a few minutes to make functional.

here's a sample back from the days before the brain damage, back when i used to write good logs:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b6-64ed54928a94

i'm trying to work back up to that standard.

I have a solution for you, but it will only work if you use Firefox and have the GreaseMonkey extension installed.

Log Linker

After you enter a log and find yourself on the "edit a log" page, there will now be a link that will take you to the "view a log" page. You could actually just right-click the link and "Copy link location", then past the link wherever you want.

loglinker_example.jpg

Again, you need to be using Firefox instead of IE, so it's a win-win...

I have a solution for you, but it will only work if you use Firefox and have the GreaseMonkey extension installed.

Log Linker

After you enter a log and find yourself on the "edit a log" page, there will now be a link that will take you to the "view a log" page. You could actually just right-click the link and "Copy link location", then past the link wherever you want.

loglinker_example.jpg

Again, you need to be using Firefox instead of IE, so it's a win-win...

An even better extension would be BBCodeXtra.