Custom Topo Maps - Lakes not appearing in Mapsource

eaparks

I created a custom topo map with hydrography data that uploads to the GPSr (60CSx) correctly using Mapsource. My problem is that the lakes are not visible in Mapsource but show up properly on the GPSr. All other water features (streams and rivers) show up correctly in both Mapsource and the GPSr. In Mapsource I've tried all the zoom levels and have changed the "detail" settting to "highest" and this still does not make the lakes appear.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, Thanks.

I created a custom topo map with hydrography data that uploads to the GPSr (60CSx) correctly using Mapsource. My problem is that the lakes are not visible in Mapsource but show up properly on the GPSr. All other water features (streams and rivers) show up correctly in both Mapsource and the GPSr. In Mapsource I've tried all the zoom levels and have changed the "detail" settting to "highest" and this still does not make the lakes appear.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, Thanks.

Hi eaparks!

Do you use a TYP file with your custom topo map? Because a priority in draworder can make this problem.

also, just email me your files (cypherman1 at gmail dot com)

Regards

Cypherman

Hi eaparks!

Do you use a TYP file with your custom topo map? Because a priority in draworder can make this problem.

also, just email me your files (cypherman1 at gmail dot com)

Regards

Cypherman

No, I haven't used the TYP file yet. I appreciate your help. Am sending my files to you just as soon as I get off of here.

Thanks

Eureka! I found it!!!

I Think......

I had the same problem and was just figuring on posting in the other thread.

I spent several hours messing with the process and different options last night including adding some recorded tracks for trails to the map. I had followed the origional instructions to the letter and that left the display color / type of the lakes as "0x003b water blue"

In GPS mapedit... select the lake via > menu > select > by type

and find the entry for the lake (may be trial and error if more than one line of blue objects) and put a ck mark in the little box and clear any other boxes. then click > OK

that takes you back to the main screen and the lakes should be selected.

Right click on the lake and select > modify > type

Change the type to one of the "water xxxxx Lake" choices. and "apply"

Problem solved! finish the map process as usual.

Note... I do not know if all of the "lake" selections will work, I tried 2 different ones and every one I tried worked. I used one of the 3 "Large Lake" choices and that worked for sure. I have not tried a medium or small lake setting

That did seem to break the river chanel showing up in the lake but that is no big deal, just interesting to see, could be of use to a fisherman I guess! I may can edit it to fix that also if I get a chance.

I need a faster computer for this LOL! Mine is a couple years old and ain't too bad but takes a while to process... wouldn't work at all except for real tiny map sections till I upgraded my ram from 512mb to 1.5Gb.

Anyway... hope that helps.

Thomas D

PS: MapSetToolKit is pretty sweet!

Thanks Thomas D

You are definitely on the right track and that was my problem. Cypherman took a look at my files and determined it was a polygon type error. The following is his reply he sent me. I'm posting it on here so maybe it will be beneficial to others having the same problem. I've definitely got to start using his MapSetToolkit.

"I looking your mp file, and your error is polygon type. Don't use unknow

> type. (0x0029, 0x003b and 0x0045). You can use this type with .TYP.

> Mapsource don't have pattern for this type. Use another polygon type (EX:

> 0x0049 for small river, 0x0041 for small lake and 0x0048 for medium river)

> and your lake will be visible in Mapsource"

Many thansk Cypherman.

OUTSTANDING!

Thanks y'all

This is a complex task and the only way dummies like me can git-r-dun is with the most generous assistance of others.

Now that I think I can actually produce the map I set out to do, I need to get out and re-record the trails with better methodology! I knew I should have ordered an antenna! Maybe I'll put the GPSr in a pouch and hold it up over my head LOL. That ought to attract some strange looks.

I'm glad I picked a small area for starters to learn on. Abt 5 mi of trails.

Thanks!

Thomas D