Re-enabling caches

I've noticed some really good caches that we've found in the past are now disabled (and have been for quite a while) or are archived because the owner didn't get around to replacing the cache. Just wondering if this is as common as it seems. When a cache you own goes AWOL, how soon do you get out there and replace it? So far we've only had one cache go missing, and had it back up and running the same day we found out. Are we the exception?

sadly, often times people just do it when "they get around to it" or when they "feel" like it, at least around here it's that way. i say, keep doing what your doing. there isn't much to be done about it. i guess you could contact your reviewer or the owner, but it's probably just a waste of time.

For me personally it all depends on the situation. Sometimes I've been able to maintain a cache the same day I was notified something was amiss, other times it's been a month or two. In the longer instances I may be busy with normal life stuff, or might need a get out to get a new container, or might have to find a slightly different spot for a muggled cache (I like to take my time getting coords to make sure there is little to no problem with them being accurate. I usually visit a spot a few times over a couple of weeks to get different readings to average.). Most recently it took me about a week to replace a container that I broke during a maintence run. I had to paint the new one to match, and it was taking forever for the paint to dry due to it being cold and humid at that time.

If some thing smells funny, like three dnf's in a row, I'll usually get out there the next weekend to take a look at it. If its not there, it may take me a while to make another container. If something is wrong with it, like a wet logbook, that might take even longer. That means I have to make another container, and find a way to seal it better. My containers are custom made to fit and match the surroundings, so some times it might take a month to create a container.

As mentioned, there are different steps you have to wait for. Glue to dry, different coats of primer to dry, different coats of paint to dry, different coats of sealer to dry, etc. That takes a while, and you can't rush when it comes to drying times.

And then there is life. That gets in the way all the time :lol:

Hiding and listing a cache carries the commitment to maintain that cache in a timely manner.

Unfortunately all too many place the cache and forget further commitment to the community.

We are looking at having a cache clean-up, restoration and archival list (similar to the Reputation Reparation event in Nashville some time back) here in Alabama for just this reason.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Two things I try to do ASAP are check a suspected problem with one of my caches and move travel bugs on to another location. My longest disabled cache was for about 10 days, but it was under water for 3 of them and my TB posession average (yes I do keep track :lol:) is just under 9 days.