Magellan 500?

jpred1

If it does, I haven't got it to show up on mine yet!! I thought they would if you activated something on the unit, but no....you need to edit the waypoint on the Magellan Geocache Manager...add the info...I also add the size and D/T!!

Thanks,I just tried that and on my mapsend light and topo version,it shows desc.,cord. name ,and has a tab for hints,but I cannot figure out how to add the hints.

Magellan Geocache Manager...it came with my unit! It's much like the EasyGPS, but it transfers to the unit whereas the EasyGPS won't. I download all the caches to EasyGPS, and then open the file onto the MGM, change any info I want, and send it to the unit!!

As a premium member you can download gpx files,instead of just loc. files.

With the gpx files you'll get

name of the cache,the cache ID, the owner,the type of cache, the location, the date placed, the date last found, and diff. and terr, and the hint if the cache has one,although the hint will only show the first 50 characters

Magellan Geocache Manager...it came with my unit! It's much like the EasyGPS, but it transfers to the unit whereas the EasyGPS won't. I download all the caches to EasyGPS, and then open the file onto the MGM, change any info I want, and send it to the unit!!

Your a premium member

You might want to try GSAK, if yor using PQs. if I remember correctly easygps will only work with LOC. files.

EasyGPS will send a POI file to an eXplorist. The eXplorist is seen by the PC as a removable drive, so you have to find out which drive letter it is assigned, and browse to the correct drive and folder when saving the POI file from EasyGPS. I will point out that EasyGPS, the last time I checked, only exports a "regular" POI file (.upt) and not Geocaching POI files (.gs file with hints, owner, D/T, etc.).

Your a premium member

You might want to try GSAK, if yor using PQs. if I remember correctly easygps will only work with LOC. files.

EasyGPS will open GPX files. Isn't Topografix (maker of EasyGPS) is one of the groups behind the GPX format?

As a premium member you can download caches in a GPX file. If you use a program like GSAK you can upload the files to the Explorist 500. The hint information is included in the GPX file and is transferred to the GPS.

They just released a new version of GSAK and it can be downloaded for free. After a couple of weeks you get a nag screen. I have found that l like this program better than anything else I have tried.

Will mapsend work with the gpx files?And can I see all the info on the magellan 500 or do I need the palm to see it all?

The Geocaching POIs will show cache name, owner, placement date, last found date, difficulty, terrain, cache type (Traditional, Multi, etc.), and the hint (limited to 50 characters). I wish it would show the size, but that is something you can get around by using GSAK. You can change the cache name to add an m for micro, r for regular, and so on.

If you want to be able to read the cache description, full hint, and previous logs, you will need to get a Palm or Pocket PC and one of the handful of programs for viewing cache info.

Thanks for everyones replies.Im getting it a lil better now.Found 6 today(while working) and one was a multi.This is like a drug, very addictive.I have a palm m130 and a ce based handheld,just wanted to use one item,hard enough to get one at a time figured out.

Ok,loaded the gpx file,sent to gps unit,but I cannot place the files in a group or a single folder.I have to go to active setup on my unit and select a file,,this makes only one cache show up at a time.This is the Mag. 500.Will the pocket queries do what I want.The gpx file showed me all I need about the cache at this time.Im thinking the 100 cache search on pocket queries that will be emailed to me may be able to be placed in a single file.I dont like the idea of downloading one gpx file at a time.Am I on the right track with the pocket queries? Thanks to all!!!

Hi,

I have an eXplorist 600 and use the pocket queries to set up everything. I also check the "Also eBook Format" box at the bottom of the query. After I receive the e-mail, I open the .GPX file in MGM and use MobiPocket to open the eBook format. MobiPocket is a free download. I upload the .GPX file from MGM to an SD card and the eBook to my PDA. It has worked really well for me. Totally paperless.

If you are using Geocache Manager, you can set it to append new loc/gpx files you download to the existing list, rather than create a new list. I don't use GM much so I can't remember where you encounter it, but if you keep your eye open for the setting you should see it as you go through the import process.

You can have as many as 200 Geocache POIs in a .gs file.