Most valuable...

J'nK

As the title says, I was wondering what the most valuable thing is you have found at a cache. I've only been caching for about 1 month and all I ever seem to find is dollar store items.

Is this the norm or are there caches out there that actually have value in them? I would really like to find some with value.

Thanks

J'nK :D

As the title says, I was wondering what the most valuable thing is you have found at a cache. I've only been caching for about 1 month and all I ever seem to find is dollar store items.

Is this the norm or are there caches out there that actually have value in them? I would really like to find some with value.

Thanks

J'nK :D

Everyone would like to find something valuable, but it's not to be expected.

Of course when you find something valuable, I hope you leave something of equal or greater value.

The follow-up question, if you're looking for valuable swag, would logically be - what's the most valuable thing you've placed in a cache (that is, if we'd care to hear people bragging about their great contributions)? My most valuable item was a geocoin (Alert 6 Canadian Geocoin - TB17KQ5) that came from the most northerly geocache in the world. In fact, many Travel Bugs rank as my most valued finds. But if you're looking to get something, make sure you contribute at least as much worth.

Define "value". $5, $50?

Whenever we start a new cache, we include a $25 restaurant gift certificate as a FTF prize. We have toyed with the idea of planting a members only premium cache with more valuable items.

Dollar store items are the norm although at many caches, dollar store items would be an improvement. I think you will typically find items of slightly more value in members only caches. We got a new Leatherman tool in one. We once found a small uncut ruby in another but I doubt it is of any real value. Don't expect to find valuable things, just enjoy the challenge. Many people find more than 100 caches in a year and I doubt that any of us are sooooo wealthy that we could afford to leave things of value in each of them.

I picked up the scarf from (cache) this morning. It is beautiful! I would like to send you one of our personal tokens to say thank you. If you are interested just email me your address and I will send it right away. Otherwise I can always leave one in a cache in (city) for you the next time we are out there.

Now that was just WOW! :lol:

I've since bought a ton of scarf yarn and am making them as fast as I can. Both for my cache(s) and for trade swag. I'm knitting as fast as I can, but I have 3 littles to take care of and they take precedence.

We lived in 1 city all of our lives, never heard about this one park/eco-trail, decided to have my sons birthday there, everyone who came had no clue about the park and all them had great things to say about it. It was through a marsh and had those walkways that squirted water up at you. We decided to make temperary caches there designed especially for the kids, all of them had a ball. I think we treasure that more than anything we've ever found "in" a cache.

Oh yeah, I guess I would have to add the people we have met through this hobby too. Yeah, thats definately one of the great treasures.

Beyond the time spent with family and friends while geocaching, I found a Geocaching keyring and a hat pin with the geocaching logo on it as an FTF. Really though for me it's far more about the hunting for a cache and feeling that little rush when you find a particularly challenging hide.

:):lol::):)

Best for me were both as FTF. One was a really good fanny pack that we use constantly and the other was an unactivated coin (I still haven't set it free). Best I've left, did it twice (also as FTF prizes) was 2 tickets to ACC basketball games. One was Wake Forest vs Maryland and one was Wake Forest vs some non-conference team I can't remember. This was 2 years ago when Chris Paul played at Wake Forest.

You might find something of value once in a while, but don't expect it. Think of it as a nice surprise that happens every once in a while. Since you're trading equal value for equal value you haven't really gained anything. I try to look at leaving items as leaving surprises. The nicer the trade item the nicer the surprise for the next cacher. I do enjoy seeing what people have left especially if it is something clever, something funny, something silly or something they crafted using their own particular talent.

I always take something from a cache. These little somethings are my trophies. A rubber dolphin. a frankenstein Mctoy, a tin car, etc. They aren't anything I want to keep permanently, just something I have a short time as a trophy for finding the cache. Of course like most people I hope to find a nice well stocked container at each cache location and I feel that is the way it should be, but if it's not, that doesn't stop me from taking a little something as a token and trying to leave the cache a little better than I found it.

Last night at 9 p.m., my 12-year-old son asks to hit a few local caches before bed. We went 2 for 3 with him finding the 2 and me not finding the one. :lol: I can't think of anything more valuable than spending time with him while he still wants to spend time with me!

Amen to than. My son's 10 and we cache together often. Although we do scouting together, with GC it's generally just us hanging out together.