Five years ago....

StarBrand

I had actually gone out and found 2 caches earlier but that is the day I placed my first cache and signed up for an account. At that time there were 5 caches within 100 miles of me - now there are 444 linky.

Just to top it off, I got my 500th find a FTF to boot last night.

Thanks to all for the magical fun and adventures you have helped me with over the past 5 years!!!

I had actually gone out and found 2 caches earlier but that is the day I placed my first cache and signed up for an account. At that time there were 5 caches within 100 miles of me - now there are 444 linky.

Thanks to all for the magical fun and adventures you have helped me with over the past 5 years!!!

Newbies. :lol:

Congrats. :D

Edited by Markwell

Congratulations. Now when are you going to make it to Co and do some camping and caching.

No camping on this trip but I will be in Fort Collins this weekend with a group of Science Kids (wife is high school teacher) - I'll buy you a cup of coffee if you can meet me somewhere........

There is also a cache very, very, very close to his house. :D

Oh, and there is a brewpub downtown that you can waymark. They have really good spinach dip if I remember right!

Edited by carleenp

Hey, congrats on both.

I suppose there's already a coin for reaching five years.

How can you find how many caches were in a certain area at a date in the past? PQs don't include archived caches. :lol:
I think you need to have a good memory or Markwell's database.

Yep - it's that offline database of the Chicago region. In the days before Pocket Queries, I wanted to be able to search the caches by terrain and difficulty, type, container size and proximity. So, I built an Access database with the cache data and kept it fairly up-to-date by once a week watching for new caches.

When PQs were introduced, I used a combination of tools and macros so that now I get a set of GPX files once a week and let the system work its magic, archiving caches, updating coordinates, temporarily disabling caches, etc. - basically syncronizing my offline database with the PQs. But it's JUST for the Chicago area and suburbs and the caches that I've found (and some of the other GPS games I do).

One side benefit is that I also have a list of the area's old caches, their placement dates and their archive dates. So, for the Chicagoland area I can query things like "what caches were active on a certain date"

...and I've got a pretty good memory.

...At that time there were 5 caches within 100 miles of me - now there are 444

Nice work.

A lot of us are turning five now. We crossed that threshold only two months ago and I am pleased we are still at it.

We also live in a rural area. Our county, larger than Rhode Island, had about 13 caches in November 2001. Now there are about 135 active caches and possibly 50 archived ones. Within 100 crow-miles it looks like there are now about 1310 active and temp archived caches.

Congrats Starbrand,

From one of the locals in the same geocache area, we have many times gleaned some of his wisdom on the sport. He has held Saturday coffee/donuts meetings to discuss the many aspects of geocaching (to help us newbies). Plus held the ’80 in 48’ event here in the Scottsbluff area.

Not to give him the big head about it, but he is truly one that cares very much about the sport.

I had the opportunity to be FTF on his 100th hide. And on his FTF/500th, it was a hide of mine. Kinda neat!

Congrats Again Starbrand

Dr. P