Glass coin ?

kateweb

I know a ton of glass blowers and artists i was thinking it could be fun to have one of them make a couple of unique coins - I would so make them trakable .

hears some info on glass to note before tho heck no feedback : soft glass is the cheepy stuff that brakes I will probably use pirex. thay will be rather think so they can be dropped and not break esily.

Sounds like an idea with a lot of potential for etching and color tinting, etc. The light could be very dramatic and artistic, even a stained glass coin. The second to last step would have to be adding the tracking numbers and after that, the glass could be tempered which would make it strong (and safe should one break).

Adding the individual tracking numbers to the coins seems like a step that might become costly. I'm very interested to see how this pans out.

I know a ton of glass blowers and artists i was thinking it could be fun to have one of them make a couple of unique coins - I would so make them trakable .

hears some info on glass to note before tho heck no feedback : soft glass is the cheepy stuff that brakes I will probably use pirex. thay will be rather think so they can be dropped and not break esily.

Awesome idea! I think it would probably want to be a personal coin or relate to geocaching somehow. Got any ideas on the design?

It has been three months since the Op even posted to the forums little alone an update to this suggestion. I dare say this is not going to happen?

Yeah, only 4 caches found, hasn't visited the site in a couple of weeks. Darn! I thought this was going to be a really cool idea, too. ;)

I wouldn't say this idea is dead, I think this is something I would be interested in making. A signature item or token would definately be waterproof and easily movable from cache to cache. No promises but I do also know a few people. A small glass medallion like on a necklace maybe 1.5" can have some amazing detail. I also dont think lettering is an issue.

I began the plan of making pottery geocoin since last year and I gave the initial draft design on Jan. 10 this year to my uncle who has 25 years of experience in making pottery. Given the unique feature of pottery, it took a long time to modify the design step by step and test numerous ways of making sample, and finally we achieved a workable way for production only recently.

Let us give PO more encouragement as there are a lot of unforeseen difficulties in making coins in other materials. Although I don’t know about glass, but I wish that he will fulfill his task in the near future.

sssooocool

I began the plan of making pottery geocoin since last year and I gave the initial draft design on Jan. 10 this year to my uncle who has 25 years of experience in making pottery. Given the unique feature of pottery, it took a long time to modify the design step by step and test numerous ways of making sample, and finally we achieved a workable way for production only recently.

Let us give PO more encouragement as there are a lot of unforeseen difficulties in making coins in other materials. Although I don’t know about glass, but I wish that he will fulfill his task in the near future.

sssooocool

And hench, your name :blink: !