OK, just ordered a Venture Cx...

oOJUXEOo

I just ordered a new ETrex Venture Cx. I am a noob, and also ordered the V.8 Mapsource. My question is, I don't think it comes with a USB cable, can I use a standard USB cable or is there a proprietary Garmin cable I need to buy? I ordered it from Amazon, and it should arrive soon....anxious to get started.

I just ordered a new ETrex Venture Cx. I am a noob, and also ordered the V.8 Mapsource. My question is, I don't think it comes with a USB cable, can I use a standard USB cable or is there a proprietary Garmin cable I need to buy? I ordered it from Amazon, and it should arrive soon....anxious to get started.
You'll need a cable with a mini-B end for the Garmin. This is the same cable that's used for digital cameras and small hard drives.

A bigger issue is the USB driver, assuming your running WinXP, XP will see the SD card inside the unit and NOT see the GPSr. Chances are when you install Mapsource v8 it will install the driver for you. If not go to their website and DL the USB driver. Several recent threads here.

HTH

Hermit

I too have a Venture Cx. The Dollar Tree has the retractable USB cables for a dollar each (duh). I bought several. One stays plugged into my laptop, one into the USB cig lighter adapter in my truck (to save batteries and keep the back light on while intransit), and the rest I use as swag (cool very cheap trade item). While you are in the spending mood, Amazon has 1 gig cards for less than $20.

If you have downloaded GSAK and it does not connect to your GPSr, just delete the USB drivers for your unit and download/install new ones from Garmin.

To find the closed Dollar Tree go to HERE. Just enter your zip code.