Benchmarking

TKDenizen

For me, I hunt because I can. I geocache also, and this is just one more item to hunt for. I enjoy the outdoors.

Geocaches, Benchmarks just add to the enjoyment of being out there or even a reason to be in that area.

I just like new areas to hunt and Benchmarks expand that a lot. The only numbers I'm concerned about are the days I'm alive for to enjoy life. Sometimes the simple things are the most enjoyable.

I think that teacher might of short changed you on the simple pleasures of life.

Do what makes YOUR life enjoyable. We all end up with the number 6 for 6 feet in the ground. I want to enjoy all those days in between.

SwampYankee

Why bother with benchmarking? What are the benefits? It takes about as long, Lhe coords are off even more than usual, and there is no GC credit for a find. I have a hard enough time finding for Geocaching. Why bother?

For me, I hunt because I can. I geocache also, and this is just one more item to hunt for. I enjoy the outdoors.

Geocaches, Benchmarks just add to the enjoyment of being out there or even a reason to be in that area.

I just like new areas to hunt and Benchmarks expand that a lot. The only numbers I'm concerned about are the days I'm alive for to enjoy life. Sometimes the simple things are the most enjoyable.

I think that teacher might of short changed you on the simple pleasures of life.

Do what makes YOUR life enjoyable. We all end up with the number 6 for 6 feet in the ground. I want to enjoy all those days in between.

SwampYankee

Why bother with benchmarking? What are the benefits? It takes about as long, Lhe coords are off even more than usual, and there is no GC credit for a find. I have a hard enough time finding for Geocaching. Why bother?

Maybe so but he did teach me how to get ahead. That IS what I paid for, don't you know?. My life isn't over because I went to school and learned how to get ahead. I know we're all headed for the short trench but face it, I want to leave mine, more toys than you want to. Does that make me evil???

At the end of the day, the more I have at the end of the day, the more pleasures I can have. Simple or otherwise. Accounting ensures that outcome.

NO problem with that at all. I to went for LOTS of toys and if the one with the most toys wins, I have to be a close second. We have a 50 acre horse farm, 3 horses, 4 quads, 7 dirt bikes, 4 Corvettes, 2 backhoes, 3 tractors, 2 boats for water sking, more toys and hobbies than any 20 people need. My wife says I collect hobbies. I raised 5 kids, put 3 thru UCONN and build bridges all my life as and Ironworker and steel erector. Traveled all over the world. Thats what I did for work, not for fun. These little hobbies are fun and keep you a step ahead of the grim reaper. I'm age 65, had 2 heart attacks, quad bypass and any day my eyes spring open is a good day. By all means better yourself and it sounds like your are. But take the time to enjoy the simple things in life and apprecaite how far we have come. Post was not met as and attack on you, but as a lesson learned way to late in life. My ducks were lined up far better thanthey needed to me. My only concerns now is to get to of my kids back from the sandbox alive to enjoy what hard work provided them

Good luck in your lifes jouney. But don't let your benchmark be your bank book. Few will remember or care. They will remember the good times and enjoyment.

SwampYankee George

SwampYankee

Maybe so but he did teach me how to get ahead. That IS what I paid for, don't you know?. My life isn't over because I went to school and learned how to get ahead. I know we're all headed for the short trench but face it, I want to leave mine, more toys than you want to. Does that make me evil???

At the end of the day, the more I have at the end of the day, the more pleasures I can have. Simple or otherwise. Accounting ensures that outcome.

Edited by SwampYankee

NO problem with that at all. I to went for LOTS of toys and if the one with the most toys wins, I have to be a close second. We have a 50 acre horse farm, 3 horses, 4 quads, 7 dirt bikes, 4 Corvettes, 2 backhoes, 3 tractors, 2 boats for water sking, more toys and hobbies than any 20 people need. My wife says I collect hobbies. I raised 5 kids, put 3 thru UCONN and build bridges all my life as and Ironworker and steel erector. Traveled all over the world. Thats what I did for work, not for fun. These little hobbies are fun and keep you a step ahead of the grim reaper. I'm age 65, had 2 heart attacks, quad bypass and any day my eyes spring open is a good day. By all means better yourself and it sounds like your are. But take the time to enjoy the simple things in life and apprecaite how far we have come. Post was not met as and attack on you, but as a lesson learned way to late in life. My ducks were lined up far better thanthey needed to me. My only concerns now is to get to of my kids back from the sandbox alive to enjoy what hard work provided them

Good luck in your lifes jouney. But don't let your benchmark be your bank book. Few will remember or care. They will remember the good times and enjoyment.

SwampYankee George

SwampYankee

I had a great benchmarking experience on Thursday. I visited nine sites in just under 4 hours. The marks had been set 35 years before, with no update to any of the recovery notes in all this time.

Things certainly had changed! New driveways. Replacement power poles in new locations. One reference to a Pyracantha bush, which is now a barely-visible stump. And not a single mark was visible. Every disk was recessed from 1 to 8 inches.

With two exceptions, they were there! It was a great opportunity to employ the metal detector and the measuring tape. When writing new descriptions for NGS, here's how I handled the missing Pyracantha: [grin]

EZ4087 BRANTLEY NASH COUNTY, NC

RECOVERED IN THE SOUTHEAST CORNER OF HOUSE NUMBER 13876. MARK IS RECESSED 7 INCHES. DELETE PYRACANTHA BUSH, WHICH IS NOW A STUMP.

ADD THAT MARK IS 33 FT EAST SOUTHEAST OF POWER POLE K-240-BF WITH TRANSFORMER, 28.8 FT SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF PHONE PEDESTAL 31W, AND 15 FT NORTH OF THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF A BRICK PILLAR ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE DRIVEWAY TO HOUSE NUMBER 13804.

-Paul-

1119910c-2b5e-45ba-9f6b-c1e23dca0324.jpg

EZ4087 Area View