Took Nothing, Left Nothing

mikeslomka

TNLN is a very common sight in logbooks in this area. I almost never take anything, except travel bugs to move. Sometimes I'll take nothing and leave something if I've got something good on me. I always have a good mechanical pencil or two I'll leave if the cache lacks enough writing implements. For me, a unique location, fun hike or history lesson is my prize.

I have even less caches under my belt, but it seems to me that trading is just another aspect of the sport. Personally, I enjoy trading. I will trade just for the sake of having done so, but I realize that is just me. Often, I simply trade items, and then retrade them at the next cache.

If you enjoy trading, then do so, if not, then don't.

I do enjoy reading well written logs, though, and look forward to that more than trading.

:D LOL, I just got a self inking stamp that says TNLNSL - 57Chevy. So I guess I actually didn't "sign" the log. It works great though. If you'd like to know where I got it contact me off list, I'm not sure if it's kosher to plug a vendor not affiliated w/Groundspeak. I do carry along sig. items and wooden nickels along with various other swag. When I do trade I like to believe that I always trade evenly or trade up. I'm a sucker for personal sig. items and will generally always trade for them. :laughing: Edited by 57chevy

:D LOL, I just got a self inking stamp that says TNLNSL - 57Chevy. So I guess I actually didn't "sign" the log. It works great though. If you'd like to know where I got it contact me off list, I'm not sure if it's kosher to plug a vendor not affiliated w/Groundspeak. I do carry along sig. items and wooden nickels along with various other swag. When I do trade I like to believe that I always trade evenly or trade up. I'm a sucker for personal sig. items and will generally always trade for them. :laughing:

Heh, we have the stamp that says "CoreyNJoey Found it!"

I'm just wondering what the thought is on just signing a log. I have less than 50 caches under my belt, and often I don't have much stuff to trade, so I just sign the log and go.

Should I be trading more?

Part of the fun of the game is coming up with an inexpensive sig item to leave, some do poker chips with their geonick, personally we leave a plastic trolling motor propeller.

I leave signature items when I remember to do so, and if there's room. I've started carrying one in my wallet in case I go hunting a cache without my cachepack.

I trade if I see something I actually WANT. I've snagged a couple of patches (sew on), a magnetic bendy thing (I'm a sucker for magnetic stuff), a retractable belt keyring thing.

Mostly I just sign the log.

I'm not big on taking stuff, mostly because the stuff is generally nothing I'd want. I have a few items on my mantle that I've taken from caches. Nothing special, just struck my fancy at the time.

Now travel bugs, I love those. Unless they have a goal that I know I can't do, I'll nab 'em every time.

Unless there is a geocoin I almost never trade, I usally leave a coin or a nickel but for me its not really about the swag. Its your game play it how you want thats the best part of geocaching there are a few basic rules put in place to keep the sport safe/fun but other than that its up to you just have fun!

Jake

I'm just wondering what the thought is on just signing a log. I have less than 50 caches under my belt, and often I don't have much stuff to trade, so I just sign the log and go.

Should I be trading more?

only if you want to. its not required that trade at all. you play the game how you want to, but if you do trade, trade up or even.

We trade but only because our daughter likes to find the "pirate treasure" so she almost always wants something. Sometimes the caches have no kid-friendly items so we take nothing but we still usually leave something small. I consider that trading up.

I don't mind when people TNLNSL at our caches. What I DO mind is when they TSLNSL (Take Something Leave Nothing Signed Log). About a year ago a couple of guys who were caching together hit one of our caches and took about 5 things out of it and left nothing. I know this because they itemized the items they took when they logged on the cache page and stated that they left nothing. They had enough experience to know better. That annoys me.

It all depends on the cache, what the theme is (if any) and where I am planning to go after the current cache.

If the cache is heavy with items, I will trade (I carry a small collection of brand new Japanese toys) plus other usual trade items.

If the cache gets a lot of traffic, or if I don't have anything that fits the theme, I will TNLNSL.

As a side note: at one of the caches that I own, I am thankful that most people TNLNSL as the container is small and cannot hold too many items.

I think that some bad swag comes from a supposed obligation to trade something when you find a geocache. That leads to trading (eventually) cool stuff found in the cache by some broken stuff, hair pins, pennies, and other useless stuff. Maybe they have not packed anything nice to leave on the caches.

The guys and gals starting to geocache must know that they're not obligated to leave something... Instead, they should be informed that it's cool to trade something good found in a cache and leave something with the same quality, making a fair trade.

I typically leave something even if I don't take something.

Part of the fun for me is opening the box to see if there is anything cool inside. I like to have others experience that, too so I try to leave a cache with at least one nice thing in it. yeah, it gets frustrating sometimes to keep finding caches with crap in them knowing that I'm leaving nicer things - but I tend to get over that quickly.

Part of the fun for me is opening the box to see if there is anything cool inside. I like to have others experience that, too so I try to leave a cache with at least one nice thing in it. yeah, it gets frustrating sometimes to keep finding caches with crap in them knowing that I'm leaving nicer things - but I tend to get over that quickly.

We feel the same way, and it isn't unusual for us to take one thing and leave three. Generally, if we do a TNLN it's because the cache contents are soaking wet or otherwised heavily damaged. No point in leaving something cool in a crappy cache container that isn't weatherproof. I DO try and carry a few extra plastic bags and log books -- and I'm happy to do a repair job for someone else's cache -- but we've seen a few that were so bad it just wasn't worth it. We found a cache the other day that was made out of a handy wipe container with the pull-tab type lid. Naturally, every item inside was soaked and ruined. Did the owner really think this cache would survive even ONE wet Washington State winter? Some just leave you shaking your head!

We trade but only because our daughter likes to find the "pirate treasure" so she almost always wants something. Sometimes the caches have no kid-friendly items so we take nothing but we still usually leave something small. I consider that trading up.

I don't mind when people TNLNSL at our caches. What I DO mind is when they TSLNSL (Take Something Leave Nothing Signed Log). About a year ago a couple of guys who were caching together hit one of our caches and took about 5 things out of it and left nothing. I know this because they itemized the items they took when they logged on the cache page and stated that they left nothing. They had enough experience to know better. That annoys me.

I agree! We never take something unless we can leave something. Once my husband really wanted a detachable keychain and we hadn't brought a trade item, so we left two one dollar bills. We don't cache with kids, but we DO consider that the treasure is primarily for the little ones. I love to go to the $1 store and stock up on cars, dinosaurs, lip gloss, barrettes, train whistles, bouncy balls, yo-yos, etc. We occasionally leave nice used items but we usually prefer to leave new stuff.

Edited by swaninwa

I'm kinda on the fence with this. I like to see what others leave and I'm appreciative of cool and neat things, but I expect to find next to nothing. I don't often leave items. And being newer, I used to leave some white noise dollar store type stuff.

I was torn on leaving stuff at every cache at first. I didn't want to be the guy just leaving junk, but I also didn't see as much value in leaving good stuff that'll be replaced with junk. I also saw the value in leaving better stuff to try and encourage others. For now, I guess I'm starting to develop what may be an odd philosophy:

I have a few (what I consider) "good" items I carry with me. When I encounter a cache I truly appreciate, I leave the "good" stuff in it. Otherwise I have some dollar store stuff for helping stock the caches that are sparse or just to leave a little something when the urge strikes. Other than that (and I'm a bit of a noob myself) I've never felt obligated to leave/trade something.

*edited for crummy speling

Edited by The Vargman

second that. i love to see a box with interesting stuff, even if i don't take anything. i usually don't take anything, but i like to leave stuff. maybe i have a misplaced santa claus complex, but it makes me happy.

What do ya'll think about baseball and football cards?

Back in the 80's and early 90's I was a compulsive card buyer.

I now have thousands of cards that might be of some value and would like to just randomly place them in caches?

I was wondering if this is worth doing? and would people now a days care for sports cards like I did back then?

What do ya'll think about baseball and football cards?

Back in the 80's and early 90's I was a compulsive card buyer.

I now have thousands of cards that might be of some value and would like to just randomly place them in caches?

I was wondering if this is worth doing? and would people now a days care for sports cards like I did back then?

I think that many young kids would get a kick out of them, even if they do not actively collect them.

I've left some non-sports cards that I used to collect in some caches. I figure that some one will appreciate them.

If they are not protected, they'll likely get damp and ruined in many caches. As a former collector, I'm sure you're familiar with the number styles of sleeves offered for them. If you're going to leave a few in each cache, even ziplock baggies might be a good idea.