XXX Cache events - where will it stop?

carryoncampingquad.JPG

How many people let their children watch that then??

Lots of frolicking and innuendoes in that harmless film!! It even has a PG certificate. :D

Wasn't that a comedy film ? In true "Carry on" style ?

Unless there is information being held back, I would like to know what the difference is?

I mean what has really happened? As far as the contents of this thread goes, there has been nothing more than some petting and perhaps some adult noise from a tent????? Anything worse than that and I may see the point of this thread!

There seems to be a lot of assumptions being made in this thread based on one persons veiled hints.

If people KNOW FIRST HAND of anything untoward and/or unsavoury happening, please come foreward and state what your concerns are.

Otherwise this debate will remain a troll feeding party.

I would not like to see any persons name being mentioned in this thread. Just in case anyone thinks that is what The Royles is asking?

I would not like to see any persons name being mentioned in this thread. Just in case anyone thinks that is what The Royles is asking?

Good point, I wasnt asking for names to be named, just a statement of what peoples concerns are based on what has actually occurred, rather than all this surmising.

Spot the difference :D:lol::lol::lol::)
I know! Uncanny, isn't it? :D The note on my web site says, Separated at birth? While walking around a 'closed' Voss on Sunday, I met someone who seemed strangely familiar.

Back on topic, 'this sort of thing' is possible to happen almost anywhere, quite spontaneously. The drinking culture at some events probably helps relax people, but the situation is impossible to police - even the police wouldn't want to get involved. All the moral majority can do is ask the playful to act responsibly, which looks to me to have already been done on this thread. :D

Small edit by Lactodorum - I hope this is OK

Edited by Lactodorum

The Troll and I have been living very happily together since 2004. I feel no shame about the special love betwixt Man and Troll. :D

You look a perfect match, which one is Shrek and which one is Fiona????

edited to add: Ooops NO! That's Ogre's, different thread :lol::lol:

Edited by Haggis Hunter
I don't think this discussion is at all appropriate. As with many other forums; kids, teenagers etc... read these pages, how would you explain the content of this one to your kids ?

A forum I moderate on is a similarly family read site. This would would be closed down quickly and get addressed outside of the public area.

I understand your concern but I disagree with your assertion that the discussion that has been taking place is inappropriate on this site.

I have been keeping a VERY close eye on it and am gratified that what could very easily have degenerated into has remained to a great extent a civilised discussion. Yes there has been some levity but I don't consider it detracts from the main discussion.

On balance I am keeping it open for the time being. I do not know the site to which you refer but of course as moderator of it you have every right to do what you think is correct.

After leaving you all to it for a day I thought I would check out what has been said, all I have had so far is a few emails from people to go on. Certainly seems like I opened a can of worms...

Firstly lets clear a few things up, Im not saying camping events are like orgys and attended solely by nymphos, Im not saying you shouldnt take your kids to a camping event and Im not looking for a witch hunt or any other outburst of vitriolic criticism towards any individuals. Some people seem uncomfortable about this thread, in which case I suggest you look elsewhere and find a moan about micros or a missing travel bug or some other mundane issue which isn't too *real* for you.

I'm not going to rake through everyone comments and post a follow up, but I will indulge this one:

Good point, I wasnt asking for names to be named, just a statement of what peoples concerns are based on what has actually occurred, rather than all this surmising.

My concern is that people who would otherwise have considered attending camping events dont feel comfortable doing so because of what they have heard goes on there. Regardless of whether or not they are likely to encounter anything which they have heard about is somewhat immaterial, the fact is they have heard enough to put them off. This spoils it for them and for others who would have enjoyed their company had they attended. This concern is based upon an actual occurrence which I experienced when asking some other cachers if they fancied attending a camping event with us, there is no surmising involved.

I have no problem with consenting adults getting up to whatever they fancy, but there is no reason for details of what they have been up to be broadcast to others and enter the public domain. As people have said this then starts gossip and before long lots of people know about it.

At normal events I have heard people exchanging gossip about who did what to who at recent camping events. How would this be interpreted by cachers who had never been to a camping event? What would you have thought if you heard all about it at the first event you attended? Is this a good way to portray the activity of geocaching and camping events in general? Just because you may not have heard such things being discussed don't be naive enough to think no-one has, and while I will be the first to agree that most of what people hear is gossip I am under no illusion that its grounding is based very much in reality.

Part of being an adult, as well as consenting to whatever you are happy with is also being responsible enough to consider the ramification of your actions, not only for yourself but for others. Just because you find something acceptable doesn't mean everyone will, and when dealing with such issues it would be wise to exercise a little decorum. Keep what should be private private, and if you cant do that then dont do it at a cache event.

My concern is that people who would otherwise have considered attending camping events dont feel comfortable doing so because of what they have heard goes on there. Regardless of whether or not they are likely to encounter anything which they have heard about is somewhat immaterial, the fact is they have heard enough to put them off.

The trouble is, the vast majority had never heard of such behavior until you chose to highlight it in a very public way. In doing so you might have "shot yourself in the foot", and actually put even more people off attending these events.

snip.....

My concern is that people who would otherwise have considered attending camping events dont feel comfortable doing so because of what they have heard goes on there.

....snip......

This concern is based upon an actual occurrence which I experienced when asking some other cachers if they fancied attending a camping event with us, there is no surmising involved.

....snip

So, it boils down to you being concerned that some people listen to gossip and let it colour their judgement ?

and your "experience" of it is what someone has told you ?

I will now stop feeding the troll.

Just because you may not have heard such things being discussed don't be naive enough to think no-one has, and while I will be the first to agree that most of what people hear is gossip I am under no illusion that its grounding is based very much in reality.

Gossip is exactly that, Gossip/hearsay! Just because you have heard it on the grapevine does not make it reality. I am far from naive, I know there are plenty back stabbers out there talking behind people's backs. This was only just highlighted to me last week, as of yet no one has came forward and said I was talking about you and your friends!! :lol::D

Gossip is sometimes true in it's nature but is usually a malicious story made up by a low down individual that is out to hurt others. I think people are naive if they believe everything that they hear.

Now I will also stop feeding the troll.

Gossip is exactly that, Gossip/hearsay! Just because you have heard it on the grapevine does not make it reality.

And just because he hasn't seen it with his own eyes or heard it with his own ears doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I'm thousands of miles away and I've heard about the goings on.

The fact is that there is a lot of talk about this at cache meets (so I've been told) and it is by all accounts putting some people off going to camping events (so I've been told). Sweeping it under the groundsheet isn't going to make that go away.

Feeding the trolls.... :D

Woof woff..

Just to add my tuppence worth for what it's worth, almost all "evidence" that this is happened posted here has been that they heard it was going on, rather than they saw directly it was going on. I feel that, given the nature of gossips, stories such as this are bound to get out about any meeting where there is a large gathering of people all drinking being in close proximity, whether they are true or not. The fact that some people are admitting that they have "heard" of it happening despite living a fair distance away just illustrates to me the power of gossip. It reminds me of the old "I saw such-and-such snogging such-and-such behind the bike sheds" gossip that we got at school!

I think in such a case I would quietly go and tap on the tent and say "I can hear you and so can the kids".

or shouting encouragement such as "keep a steady rhythm there" should do the trick :lol:

I'm nearly finished laughing at your comment. :D

and PS...my EX's nickname was Smudge!..I won't tell her if you don't! :lol:

Hey! There's even a button marked "fast reply"! :D

For what it's worth, I was at several of the camping events last year. I saw absolutely nothing that I would consider to be unacceptable behaviour (except, perhaps, for a little excessive drinking. And I was certainly guilty of that!)

I did see some things that led me to surmise that people might be having some fun in their own way, in their own time, in their own spaces. But it was pure speculation on my part - and I kept it to myself..

If there was anything at all wrong with the treatment of the youngsters, it might have been that they were allowed to stay up a little late - but an occasional late night never hurt me, when I was a child...

What a pity these rumours start, and then get blown out of all proportion!

The reality is far more mundane!

Bob

OK.. never been to a camp event.. so to me this is gossip.. yach!!

Say a few words..

Civil Libities..

Up to consenting adults.. as to when and where. (As long as it is within reasonable bounds)

They are PUBLIC campsites.

Can you be sure that the sleeping bag hopping WAS cachers. ??? Do you know every cacher to be able to ID them

If things happen on a camp meet then it is no more the business of anyone else than the parcipitating parties.

Will folks boycot a campsite because consulting parties MAY be enjoying some TLC without there kids!!!!

:D

I don't think this discussion is at all appropriate. As with many other forums; kids, teenagers etc... read these pages, how would you explain the content of this one to your kids ?

A forum I moderate on is a similarly family read site. This would would be closed down quickly and get addressed outside of the public area.

I understand your concern but I disagree with your assertion that the discussion that has been taking place is inappropriate on this site.

I have been keeping a VERY close eye on it and am gratified that what could very easily have degenerated into has remained to a great extent a civilised discussion. Yes there has been some levity but I don't consider it detracts from the main discussion.

On balance I am keeping it open for the time being. I do not know the site to which you refer but of course as moderator of it you have every right to do what you think is correct.

Unfortunately, it seems that a subject that hardly anyone knew about is now well and truly wide open. (I certainly had no idea until I read the OP). While it's all hearsay and rumour, I feel that rumours, more often than not, do more harm than good.

As for youngster reading about it, I'd prefer (yup, personal preference creeping in) them not to stumble on a subject like this by accident. Maybe I'm reacting like a prude, but I still don't see the point of raising the issue in public.

I respect your position as moderator on here (a job, that, on any forum, isn't easy, or well received at times), and it's your call on how useful a purpose this subject serves in terms of Geocaching.

Having read all... well, most... of the post and before Mr. Lactodorum draws the curtains, I would like to add that I am mightily miffed that I wasn't told of all the 'good stuff' going on at these events. Had I known, I might have been tempted to attend.

You know who your mates are... or thought they were [:D]

I now draw the curtains on a thread which has proved most intriguing. Thanks to all for keeping it a civilised discussion. it could have easily degenerated into something unseemly. It says a lot for the maturity of the people who contribute to this forum. :lol:

Now back to discussions about rummaging in a bush looking for a lunchbox. :)