Software on eBay?

Anyone else here buy software on eBay? I'm looking at mapsource City Nav. V8 on eBay the seller is reptuable and such. The sale parice is about $110.00 shipped.

Is there anything I need to know about this software before I buy? Should I look for "full unlock"? What does that mean?

Thanks for all of your help.

lost

Anyone else here buy software on eBay? I'm looking at mapsource City Nav. V8 on eBay the seller is reptuable and such. The sale parice is about $110.00 shipped.

Is there anything I need to know about this software before I buy? Should I look for "full unlock"? What does that mean?

There is no full unlock as one might find with an unlocked GSM phone. CN locks are per device.

If the CN has never been used/unlocked you should be able to use it with one GPSr (an unlock code comes in a new CN package).

If the first lock is used but the second lock is not consumed you may or may not be able to convince Garmin to give you the traditional second lock for the software, though that is typically limited to the original owner (and maybe through official channels).

For these and other reasons, I suspect buying CN used (or even new off eBay) may be problematic. Hopefully those that have bought CN new or used off ebay can chime in and set me straight.

Here are some additional thoughts on the topic.

Sorry I didn't say.. This is brand new un opened software.

Look at the sellers rating as you would in any other purchase and make your decision. I am not sure why someone referenced farther up the thread eBay vs reputable dealer.

I see more complaints about so called "reputable" dealers than eBay purchases where due dilligence was practiced.

Look at the sellers rating as you would in any other purchase and make your decision. I am not sure why someone referenced farther up the thread eBay vs reputable dealer.

I see more complaints about so called "reputable" dealers than eBay purchases where due dilligence was practiced.

Checkout Amazon. They have it for $109 including shipping. You can pickup a microSD card there too, pretty

cheap. I found amazon has some of the best prices for GPSr stuff, and THEY are a reputable company

Edited by draselok

i agree....i buy all my software on ebay..look for a seller with a hundred sales or more with 100 percent positive feedback or close to it..i have NEVER had an issue with anything i've purchased on ebay...never...close to 300 purchases...i wouldn't buy anywhere else unless guaranteed it was cheaper...which is rare.

There is an issue not mentioned by Garmin that I encountered. If that new unopened software for sale came as part of a package with a GPSr, that software will initially need to be registered with the specific GPSr that came with the package. This means you have to register the serial number of the packaged GPSr on the Garmin website in order to get a second unlock code that will work with the GPSr you actually have. You now have no more unlock codes and the Garmin website shows you own a GPSr that actually belongs to someone else. Garmin CS at first tried to say the eBay seller scammed me, which wasn't the case as neither of us was aware of this built-in software restriction. You won't find this software restriction mentioned anywhere by Garmin unless they took my advice and started printing it on their packaging.

I have not had any problems buying 4 video games on Ebay in the past year. I just look for someone with 99% of better positive ratings. All CDs worked and came with usable serial numbers. But then again, video games do not search online to see if they have been installed somewhere else.

But consider the point that Low Bat made about the unlock codes.

Edited by chuckr30

My wife refers to me as a Ebay addict. I have never had a bad experience yet. As stated earlier make sure the seller has a good reputation read teh feedback most of the super sellers are real reliable. Most used software is safe but since Mapsource requires unlocks dedicated to a gpsr I would suggest only buying New un-opened. Just to be on the safe side that the unlock coupon wasnt used.

I have not had any problems buying 4 video games on Ebay in the past year. I just look for someone with 99% of better positive ratings. All CDs worked and came with usable serial numbers. But then again, video games do not search online to see if they have been installed somewhere else.

But consider the point that Low Bat made about the unlock codes.

So is that how the unlock works on CN? You have to be connected to the net to install?