Revisiting caches

FrogmanCH

Looking at some of the cache totals I see, it makes me ask. If you revisit a cache (say four or five months after you first find it) do you, or can you log it as a find again?

I have been back to a few that I have already logged as found, when revisiting I usually just log it as a note...not sure if this is correct or not.

A note for revisiting a cache is correct as you are revisting not finding. The note will allow for dropping TBs and coins or writing about your new experience. The only log I have ever deleted from my caches was a second "found" by a couple who did not change it to a note after a couple polite emails and several weeks. Of course there are still a few grandfathered "moving" caches that allow for mulitple finds has their locations change, but those are the exceptions.

As a hider I wouldn't oppose to someone logging the find again, play the game as you want. I have never deleted a log. As a finder I have done several caches numerous times simply because I like the area or the hike involved however I never log anything I've previously found...maybe I should, I'm not real sure.

As a hider I wouldn't oppose to someone logging the find again, play the game as you want. I have never deleted a log. As a finder I have done several caches numerous times simply because I like the area or the hike involved however I never log anything I've previously found...maybe I should, I'm not real sure.

I guess it would depend on what it is you are logging. Are you logging how many times you found a cache or how many different caches you have found?

I tend to believe in the one cache one find myself, but as long as you can log a find more than once you can do that too -assuming the owner allows it.

Either way notes are always nice- lets the owner know how the cache is doing.

Edited by Luckless

G'day

This is what I do. I find it the first time, I log a find. Any subsquent visit is a write note and as my subsquent visits are generally related to trackables. For example with GCK09K I now have over 30 write notes ;) . I do this as I want the log to reflect as accurately as possible my visit.

I also think, maybe someone can confirm or otherwise that subsequent logs are not counted.

Andrew

Looking at some of the cache totals I see, it makes me ask. If you revisit a cache (say four or five months after you first find it) do you, or can you log it as a find again?

No, I do not post more than one find per cache with the exception of some now archived locationless caches that promoted multiple find logs.

Yes, you can log multiple finds because the system allows multiple finds and that is unfortunate.

For our 100+ caches I only ever found a handful of multiple finds, usually by new people who appear not to have thought about all the options presented in the log box. Why they would not see the Note option is beyond me. Everyone I knew back in the early days understood that it would not be appropriate to log multiple finds.

If the multiple finders were newbies, as was usually the case, I would send them an email describing how to log notes. After about 6 months I would usually check back and if they had not changed their entry I would delete the additional find without further contact.

Occasionally people, including me, logged a second find when the cache hide was changed substantially. I have since searched out and deleted the two or three finds I logged that way due to all the yapping on these pages. (But I do STRONGLY agree that there should only be one find per cache and STRONGLY support a program change that would prevent multiple finds.)

I allow only one find log per cache on our pages although I never had any problem with two if the cache hide changed substantially. (I no longer change cache hides substantially unless I archive the old and post a new cache.)

There is a portion of cachers the log more than one find on a cache. I have seen this happen. IF some one logs more than on find on any of my hides I delete the additional finds. (It is cheating as far as I am conserned)

I do not buy the argument that it is the finders game to play as they see fit to play, that is a cop out by hidders that are affraid to confront cheaters IMO

THese same cheater also log multi finds at events were people hide caches that cannot pe published because they do not fall within the guide lines for hiding a cache.

My guess is there will be more cheating at the next geowoodstock, like there was at the last one.

I play tour-guide to a lot of cachers, going on cache runs where I have found all or most of the caches.

It's not uncommon for me to visit a cache a dozen times.

Unless it needs maintenance or I make a trade I don't log it at all, if I do have something to say I just log a note.

My wife and kids sometimes go with me, not often, but maybe 100 times over the years. My wife will only go to caches that I have found that I know to be fairly easy large containers with good stuff in them!

When that happens I will log another find on it for her. As when tour-guiding others, I get them close but they have to actually find it.

Sometimes caches move and can be found again - that's pretty much up to the owner but if the cache has moved 30+ feet and or the container has changed pretty much making it a new hide then they allow it to be found again.

I have logged a handful more than once, but as previously noted, only if it has been significantly relocated (Basically a new hide) and the owner put a note in the narrative about it being "OK TO RE-LOG DUE TO THE SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE" (Typically a few hundred feet difference) A couple of these were due to me finding a LETTERBOX within a few feet of the original cache. LBX'rs tend to like the same kind of places we cachers do!

GM

My wife and kids sometimes go with me, not often, but maybe 100 times over the years. My wife will only go to caches that I have found that I know to be fairly easy large containers with good stuff in them!

When that happens I will log another find on it for her. As when tour-guiding others, I get them close but they have to actually find it.

I solved that problem by opening and maintaining a separate account for my wife. When she finds a cache I've already found or when she finds one I hid while not in her presence I will log them on her account as found.

We chose to cache as a team so that, to me, means one find per team per cache.

I am of the opinion that for me I log only one find per cache. When I was first introduced to this game, we found six, 1 of which I actually found. On that day I decided my better half would enjoy this as well so I did not sign any logbooks or claim them. Now with my teammate Jill we have gone back to a few of these and I let her find them and then I make an "Official" log for us. this is all for me and my thoughts or opinions personally. I really don't care what others do. I figure it is for thier reasons they do this and if they feel good about it and are having fun.. cool! As an owner of a cache I probably would not allow more then one find but it would depend on the circumstances on why it was logged a second find. I have stated before if some person was in a wheelchair or some other reason could only get to one cache down the street a 100 times but do no more... my concern would be on this person getting enjoyment and having fun more then if he/she logged the same find again. Just my own honest opinion.

I'm also in the 1 find per cache camp. There are many caches that I've revisited, either because I was caching with a group and I had already found it, I was helping an owner with maintenance, or simply because I happened to be passing by and decided to check on it. These usually get a note if there is anything worth mentioning.

For the longest time I did have two finds on a cache. It was a moving cache that allowed multiple finds because it was constantly roaming around the state. But once I started running my stats through the ItsNotAboutTheNumbers app, the difference between unique and total finds was bothering me, so I changed one log to a note.

Not that I think anything is wrong with multiple logs on moving caches. I think they are the one legit exception to the one log per cache rule, but I decided that I wanted my stats to show a 1:1 ratio.

Edited by briansnat

I have been back to a few that I have already logged as found, when revisiting I usually just log it as a note...not sure if this is correct or not.

Yep, me too! There's one in particular that is a TB hotel. I stop by there every now and then either to drop off or pick up a TB to move to another spot.

ivylibra224

Michelle

Yep, me too! There's one in particular that is a TB hotel. I stop by there every now and then either to drop off or pick up a TB to move to another spot.

ivylibra224

Michelle

There should be something built into the website where you can only get credit once for finding a cache, no matter how often you try to log it as a find. In the end, I think it comes down to integrity. Sure, we all want impressive numbers, but really, who are you going to impress? I was thinking about this same subject last summer. I had been out in central Missouri and did some caching. As I was reading the logs online, I noticed that the OWNER would log his own cache as a find every time he did a TB drop or something. The same person logged multiple benchmarks that no longer existed. I love this sport as much as the next person, but I don't need to 'beef up' my numbers for some assumed glory.

Wait, you get credit for 2 finds if you "find" the same cache twice? Sweet. There's a cache outside my job. I walk by it a couple times a day doing my lunch hour walks.

Let's see, 2 times a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year (Vacations), that's 480 finds a year! Sweet! Even if I do no other caching I'll break a thousand in 2 years!

Wait, you get credit for 2 finds if you "find" the same cache twice? Sweet. There's a cache outside my job. I walk by it a couple times a day doing my lunch hour walks.

Let's see, 2 times a day, 5 days a week, 48 weeks a year (Vacations), that's 480 finds a year! Sweet! Even if I do no other caching I'll break a thousand in 2 years!

Really, it's not a common practice. It just seems like an issue since most forum folks are exposed to every complaint.

Best thing is to make friends, talk about it. You might not change their minds but you still made a friend.

I know, I was just joking around. It seems funny though that it would be allowed in the software.

Yes it seems that if some people want to preserve the multiple find capability for certain situations, perhaps there should be a box to check when the hider is submitting a cache for approval that allows or prohibits multiple find logs by a single account.

I realized I never voiced my actual opinion on the matter. That cache outside my job (That much of my post was real :lol: ), I do check in on it from time to time. Maybe every 2 or 3 months, on my walks. I've never even considered logging a note for it. If I noticed it was gone, or the log was full, or wet, or whatever, I'd log a note saying so. If I happened to see in the log that there was a problem and the owner hadn't touched it for a while, I'd try to fix the problem and log that as a note. Other than that, though, I think any comments I could make (Still there! Good job!) would just be log trash.

I'm not quite sure what the fuss is about.

Isn't the purpose of the log to let others, as well as the cache owner, know how much you enjoyed the search and the cache?

I've logged 215 geocache finds. NONE on the same cache. I've seldom revisited a cache to drop a TB, but just posted a note to this effect. So, I'm playing by the "rules". Personally, I really don't have any desire to log a find twice. It would just mess up my totals.

That said, what is the actual problem?

I'm not trying to start an argument. Please understand. :lol: But I just don't understand why a cache owner would be so upset if someone logged twice that they would delete the log.

I've never placed a cache of my own yet. So maybe I'm just naive. But when I do get around to it, I think I would be upset if hardly anybody placed logs for my cache. The more logs the better, right? Lame caches get fewer visits and fewer logs, so more logs are a sign of a quality hide (I assume). I think I would be pleased that someone thought enough of my cache to pay it a second visit. Wouldn't you?

Just confused, but playing by the rules. ;)