Garmin GPS 10x wireless receiver and OziExplorer

MaliBooBoo

Does any one know if a Garmin GPS 10x wireless receiver and OziExplorer are compatible (on a laptop) and if so, how do you make them work together? In "File" "Configuration", it is not a choice in the drop down menu. I just got the bluetooth and the GPS, but it seems like Ozi version may not be new enough for this unit. Anyone's help is appreciated! Thanks.

I was just wondering how you like the Garmin 10.Is yours the new one with the sirf3 chip?I was looking into buying as a secondary gps(ok I already have two but whos counting)I like the idea of havig the same maps on my gps and ppc.Also I am trying to figure out how the software unlocks.Does it unlock to the bluetooth device or to the pda I am asking becuase I have a few pdas and would love if it wa susable on whichevr one I happened to be using that day.Can you also load the garmin topos and other mapping ino the que softwre similar to the 60 series ?

I was just wondering how you like the Garmin 10.Is yours the new one with the sirf3 chip?I was looking into buying as a secondary gps(ok I already have two but whos counting)I like the idea of havig the same maps on my gps and ppc.Also I am trying to figure out how the software unlocks.Does it unlock to the bluetooth device or to the pda I am asking becuase I have a few pdas and would love if it wa susable on whichevr one I happened to be using that day.Can you also load the garmin topos and other mapping ino the que softwre similar to the 60 series ?

I have the new Garmin Mobile 10 with the Sirf3 chip. The maps unlock to the Mobile 10 Bluetooth unit. Therefore you can use as many pdas as you want (of course only one at a time) with the unit. I use 2 pdas with mine. I used the second unlock code from the Garmin Mobile 10 on my Garmin 76csx. And, YES you can also use Garmin Topo maps (or any other Garmin maps) with the software and the Bluetooth GPS unit. In the software, you can select which map you want to use, however, you cannot overlay maps on top of each other.

I like the Garmin Mobile 10 very much. The receiver is as good as my Garmin 76csx, and the software works well on my Dell X30h. On my HP4705(2003SE), it can be a pain to connect via the Bluetooth connection, however, once connected, it looks great on the VGA screen.

Edited by wattsup

I don't know yet because I still haven't got it to work with Ozi yet although I haven't spent a whole lot of time on it. Ozi has a utility to find if any com port has a GPS attached and it did find the unit. It then tells you what the settings should be in Configuration. I guess my problem now is more of how to get the moving map to work.

So the Ozi utility told me this about the GPS 10:

NMEA Input found on Com Port : COM5 at 4800 Baud

NMEA Input found on Com Port : COM5 at 4800 Baud

In OziExplorer Configuration set the following :

Com Port to COM5

Baud Rate to 4800

Parity to None

Stop Bits to 1

So I did the above and it still won't work - no moving map action. Any ideas? Thanks.

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but I wanted to offer it anyway. I had a similar problem when connecting a Trimble Pathfinder to my field pen computer that was running ArcPad, and found I needed a "null modem". I honestly can't even tell you what a null modem is but it worked! It has something to do with switching polarity or changes legs with the connector. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Null-modems.

I connected it into the cable between my GPSr and pen computer. I found one at CompUSA for a small price. Ask someone more intelligent with all this computer electronics stuff and mention this. Hope it leads to an answer for you.