Pathtags

avpas

I found my first pathtag in a cache this weekend. I grabbed it thinking it was exactly like a coin and that I was going to move it along. When I got it home, I went to track it and ran into a snag. It isn't the same as a coin. After reading what I could find on these tags, I've come away more confused.

The question is this: If I find a pathtag in a cache, should it be treated as a trade item or a TB?

The best answer to "What is a Pathtag?" would be to look at their site, www.pathtags.com .

They are small metal tags individual to each cacher, similar to geocoins but more affordable. Not trackable at geocaching.com, but on the site, if the serial number is entered, there either is, or will be soon, a way to see who has your pathtag. Kind of like a "6 degrees of seperation" concept.

I have left a few of mine in caches, just as a way for the finder to say "Hey, I found one of 4leafclover's caches!"

They can be treated as trade items or sig items. There is no need to move it on to another cache. Consider it a "sig card", but in a different form.

Edited by 4leafclover

PathTags are new territory really. They're a collectible signature item essentially like a wooden nickel, poker chip or various other unique sigitems. They're made using the same process as a geocoin and look very much like a micro-geocoin. The tracking number on the back let's you start an online gallery where you can display which ones you've found. If you find more than one of the same kind you could even start trading them for other tags. My wife loves hers and is now even "converting" some of them into pendants for leaving in caches. Here's a look at one:

cherspathtag.jpg

Does this mean, if we find one, we can trade something for it and keep it or is it intended for the cache owner?

Well, finding this thread has given me a new thing to go buy! :anibad:

In answer to your question - this is from the front page of the PathTag web site:

Leave them along your path! Use as trading items when Geocaching to let others know you've crossed their path! Collecting PATHTAGS is easy - just clip them on your collector clip and easily carry them home!

So...they are trade items - trade them like you would a little more valuable signature card.

Off I go to price and maybe order!

Does this mean, if we find one, we can trade something for it and keep it or is it intended for the cache owner?

Hi Brayden's Brigade!

You found my tag and thank you for taking it and logging it!!!! And it's your's to keep. I hope that everyone who finds one of my tags in a cache will take it and LOG it. It is fun to see who has picked up your tag and added to their collection. I have a map on my pathtag home page where I can see where all my tags are all over the world.

I give a thumbs up to pathtags. They're affordable for us. Having a geocoin made is out of our financial reach but pathtags are very reasonable for our income bracket. They are fun to trade with other tag owners, and at about $1 each, they make nice swag, something that someone might actually want! I just noticed yesterday that you get 50 tags with your initial order now, instead of just 25. I'll probably get another made now. So, just my opinion, but so far I have only positve things to say about pathtags! :sad:

[i just noticed yesterday that you get 50 tags with your initial order now, instead of just 25. I'll probably get another made now. So, just my opinion, but so far I have only positve things to say about pathtags! :sad:

The pathtags.com web page still says

1 - CREATE

The system starts with the easy and affordable PATHTAGS Starter Kit. Each Starter Kit includes your custom template setup, 25 PATHTAGS, 4 collector clips, and a velvet carrying bag. All for $99 + S/H!

Where did you see that the initial order now includes 50?

[i just noticed yesterday that you get 50 tags with your initial order now, instead of just 25. I'll probably get another made now. So, just my opinion, but so far I have only positve things to say about pathtags! :sad:

The pathtags.com web page still says

1 - CREATE

The system starts with the easy and affordable PATHTAGS Starter Kit. Each Starter Kit includes your custom template setup, 25 PATHTAGS, 4 collector clips, and a velvet carrying bag. All for $99 + S/H!

Where did you see that the initial order now includes 50?

I saw it on their front page Blog update the other day. It is also on their stater kit order page. I wish I would have waited to order mine a couple of weeks :(

Hi Brayden's Brigade!

You found my tag and thank you for taking it and logging it!!!! And it's your's to keep. I hope that everyone who finds one of my tags in a cache will take it and LOG it. It is fun to see who has picked up your tag and added to their collection. I have a map on my pathtag home page where I can see where all my tags are all over the world.

I give a thumbs up to pathtags. They're affordable for us. Having a geocoin made is out of our financial reach but pathtags are very reasonable for our income bracket. They are fun to trade with other tag owners, and at about $1 each, they make nice swag, something that someone might actually want! I just noticed yesterday that you get 50 tags with your initial order now, instead of just 25. I'll probably get another made now. So, just my opinion, but so far I have only positve things to say about pathtags! :laughing:

Yay! I found it in a cache and traded for it, but really didn't understand what it was at the time. I got home, punched in the site and was intrigued. I came here and did a search for a forum topic on them, hoping to learn a little more. It really is a nice looking little coin/tag and I was impressed with it. I actually have another one, picked it up at an event and hadn't logged it (it's logged now). I really love the entire idea. I am excited to have one made of our own now. I hope to see more out there! I think they are fun to collect! I am hoping they really catch on.