Whats this all about?

f-stop

Hi fellow cachers,

Can anyone help me with this one please?

How can someone who has only been a member since 25th Jan 2007 log 20 (yes twenty) archived caches? B)

I have received a mailbot from someone who has logged a cache (owned by me) which was archived in 2001.

Upon checking this persons profile, 20 out of 40 traditional caches they have logged were archived some considerable time ago.

Has this person been.....

Cryogenically frozen....

In prison...

Hibernating....

Or is there some reasonable explanation that I may be missing?

Has this happened to any of you guys?

F-Stop

Hi fellow cachers,

Can anyone help me with this one please?

How can someone who has only been a member since 25th Jan 2007 log 20 (yes twenty) archived caches? B)

I have received a mailbot from someone who has logged a cache (owned by me) which was archived in 2001.

Upon checking this persons profile, 20 out of 40 traditional caches they have logged were archived some considerable time ago.

Has this person been.....

Cryogenically frozen....

In prison...

Hibernating....

Or is there some reasonable explanation that I may be missing?

Has this happened to any of you guys?

F-Stop

Firstly, can you confirm that the cache you archived was physically removed from location. If so and it's impossible for them to find it and sign the logbook, it's obvious that they are just messing with the system.

Personally, any cache I find and subsequently discover it as having been archived - about 4 to date - I have always emailed the owner and asked if they have any obection to me logging it as a find.

So far, no problems. I am presuming this person has not found the caches in question.

B)

Firstly, can you confirm that the cache you archived was physically removed from location. If so and it's impossible for them to find it and sign the logbook, it's obvious that they are just messing with the system.

Personally, any cache I find and subsequently discover it as having been archived - about 4 to date - I have always emailed the owner and asked if they have any obection to me logging it as a find.

So far, no problems. I am presuming this person has not found the caches in question.

B)

I can confirm that the cache was removed by myself (it had been trashed) I archived it on September 13th 2001, the person who has just logged it dated their "find" as 31st August 2001.

Also, when i retrieved the cache the log book had been left intact and all the logs in it had been logged on the geocaching page at that time.

Some of the archived caches that this person has logged, were owned by a couple of people who had their caches removed from geocaching.com due to a big hoohah regarding the owner self promoting his gps software through his caches. I don't know if these were physically removed, but given the amount of caches there are now, these archived caches will be well back in the pages list. It just seems very strange!!

Edited by f-stop

I know a cacher who changed their user name,whilst their profile page shows their new user name it still states the original date they became a member.

The profile of the person who has logged these archived caches states that they have been a member for three days!

Ah well, perhaps this is one for Poirot, Marples, Columbo, Taggart and company.

I know a cacher who changed their user name,whilst their profile page shows their new user name it still states the original date they became a member.

The profile of the person who has logged these archived caches states that they have been a member for three days!

Ah well, perhaps this is one for Poirot, Marples, Columbo, Taggart and company.

But did they change their username recently? Because you can't do username change anymore, you have to sign up for a new account.

It's not Rocket Science

Now if some kind soul slits his throat and dumps him in the canal, we really will need M. Poirot :D

fb0c53cf-ce96-4b88-bc23-f43cfa14d36b.jpg

Oh my God! B) Looking at his profile and even in this day and age of the jet engine, flying between California, Rome, Arkansas, Croatia etc etc within three days, its just not possible. I know we all of different ways of playing the game / sport (call it what you will) but there's flexing the rules and downright cheating!!! B)

Kind of reminds me of this locked thread which was inspired by the logging of this event cache just scroll down the list.

NB

Delete the logs

Wow I didn't realise there were people out there with such enormously inflated egos!!

Anyway, I have deleted the bogus ones' log from my archived cache.

Thanks to all you Peeps fer advice/support/feedback etc.

Happy (real) caching to you all

He's also logged a surprisingly high ratio of virtuals.

When I checked the logs on some of the virtuals, other cachers had made reference to not having received an answer to their email. Logging a virtual that doesn't get checked is an interesting technique :laughing:

Edit: And he's logged this virtual nine times (so far :laughing: ).

Edited by The Wombles
PS..I logged an archived cache this very morning...with the owners permission of course. :):)
I did think of slipping a log into one or two of yours CurryK but decided not to wind you up :unsure: There is a cache I wanted to log, the electronic 'Visit Sweden' which was nice and cool and fun. I paid the price of forgetting to log it and its now locked and I cant log it .... grrrr .... oh well that'll learn me! :P

I logged a cache today that was archived back in the summer of 2004 for non-maintainance/abandoment.

The cache was in the exact same place as where the last finder hid it, but had significantly biodegraded over the years. Suffice it to say I removed the geolitter.

There was even still a serviceable pencil and a salvageable swap.

My log and photos.

I logged an archived cache (Under the Greenwood Tree)in Dorset in 2005. Had old printout borrowed from father in law, so didn't know it was 'gone'. The wooded area where the cache was supposed to be had been cleared as part of 'regeneration' works, but poking out of the mud near some stumps was a plastic bag with a pencil and remnant of logbook in it. On the only surviving page in the book was the message "Took box, left bag, you sad ****. PS Nice box". I didn't sign the physical 'log' but did claim the find.