sig ideas

sacred6

take a look at my profile to see my latest sig beads. all hand made and unique. I can do about 10 in a evening while watching a movie, assuming the gluing is done for the large item. Something I wont be dropping in every cache obviously. But they are nice, fun, and personal. Alot of the crystals, shells, and rocks Ive collected myself while hiking.

Im planning on slicing up some antler I have into buttons next and trying my hand at using a wood burner and/or Dremel to draw on them.

Edited by mudsneaker

You could take a stamp or something, and stamp it into clay. There are all types of clay and clay mixes that harden in the air or in the oven. It could be your "personal seal". Not useful enough to steal but it shows you were there.

I was looking into these clays the other day and they come in all kinds of colors: standard colors, various colors of granite stone, and neon colors.

Or simply print up something on your printer and glue it to a piece of cardboard to make it sturdy. Or wrap it in one layer of packing tape to make it weatherproof. Instant lamination.

I just started making personal sig cards to drop in caches. On the front is a photo that I have taken of something I discovered while exploring in parks...butterflies, moths, mushrooms, plants, etc. plus my GC name. On the back is an informative write-up about the object in the photo. If I've photographed something I'm unfamiliar with, I research it, identify it and then write it up. So I'm learning myself as I go along. I print these cards out at work on our color copier, cut them out and laminate them. So far I have a series of about 10 different cards. Hope to have more. I am hoping others will enjoy learning about the nature around them as much as I have enjoyed photographing it. I will probably expand the cards to include minerals. I sometimes leave mineral specimens in caches to perhaps pique some interest in rockhounding. :cool: I've had a lot of fun making the cards and I hope someone out there enjoys reading them.

i haven't been caching long, however i have left the same thing in each one i've found. though i can't write my name on them, my "sig" items are quartz crystals that i have mined by hand from arkansas. i've got boxes of them, and i think they make nice things to find. personally, i don't care that my name isn't on them, because i didn't "make" them, but it's ny hope that people (namely childern) micht find them and want to learn more. as a geaologist, i like to inform people about the world they live in, so i guess that is my feeble attempt. anywho, that is my item.

top con

we hand paint poker chips. depending on the time of year we will have a few for the event of the month...obviously we have the superbowl so I'll do one of them, then you have Daytona 500. let's see the Buffalo Sabres are doing really well tthis season so I've painted two chips for them 1 new (ugly) logo and I did the classic original logo. then ther are others that just ahve FFof5 on 1 side. Found It! with our zipcode on the other.

Scott

QUOTE(R.O.B @ Feb 1 2007, 03:21 PM)

The best signature items are USEFUL signature items. Anything else just clutters up the cache.

Many people collect sig items and love finding new ones in caches. Heck that all I ever take out of cache anymore so to me they are all USEFUL.

Yup, I dig past the standard clutter looking for sig items first thing when I find a cache. I have a binder with a collection of sig items I find that are identifiable as someones. No name on it means its just another thingy in the box.

edit: anyone have any experience with antler? does it burn well with a woodburning tool? whats worked for you?

Edited by mudsneaker

Although we do like Criminal's packin' heat sig and Lep's hamster in gladware we opted for a sig item related to where we live (Lake of the Ozarks). I usually sign them with an approriate comment as below, which was my DNF at Shelter II. Don't think I am going to run out soon either, I bought over 3,000 of them.

4d54818f-a711-4825-9090-151a23b5972a.jpg

I've been mulling over the idea of having custom colored dice printed with a portion of the geocaching.com logo (yellow die with the Groundspeak man, orange die with the flag, blue & green dice with the dashes) so when you put the 4 together you have the color logo on dice. Only the '1' side of the die would have the printed image so they are still perfectly usable.

Doing the printing is not cheap so I'm considering giving them out in pairs instead of quartets. That way it makes it a little more challenging to get the set. Naturally, I would put them in a baggies with a card indicating who they're from and encouraging people to get the other half of the set.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it done for the spring caching season

I use a Buffalo(Jefferson) nickel mounted in a coin holder with my user name written on the holder, or a Buffalo(Kansas) quarter, whichever i have the most of at the time. They may be worth something in a few years, and I like Buffalos.

Edited by Rev. Jim

I take a lot of pictures while I'm hiking/caching, so in a way to share them I cut out a small wood plaque and print out the photos and glue them onto the wood. I then take a brush and go over it a few layers with Mod-podge to strengthen and waterproof it. On the back i take a woodburning tool and put my initials, plus a 3 digit code. I have around 50 of these traveling around and have even seen some moving from cache to cache.

I came up with it this morning! We went to a Ren Fest and a traveling fairy met the children and gave each of them a frozen kiss. I took the kisses and encased them in silver wire, added beads and a loop. If you are very sneaky when approaching a cache, you may find one with a draygonfly on it. They are ready to be hung on keys, cell phones, necklaces or whatever you choose!

littlefairyKisses.jpg

I came up with it this morning! We went to a Ren Fest and a traveling fairy met the children and gave each of them a frozen kiss. I took the kisses and encased them in silver wire, added beads and a loop. If you are very sneaky when approaching a cache, you may find one with a draygonfly on it. They are ready to be hung on keys, cell phones, necklaces or whatever you choose!

littlefairyKisses.jpg

Those are awesome. I was just in Jax last weekend and would have tried to find one if I had seen this. I'll be back sooner than later and I'll be looking to add one to my collection then.

Edit:

Ok, you just started doing this so there would have been no chance to get one a week ago. I'll still be shadowing some of your finds in the next few weeks.

Edited by IGJoe

littlefairyKisses.jpg

Those are awesome. I was just in Jax last weekend and would have tried to find one if I had seen this. I'll be back sooner than later and I'll be looking to add one to my collection then.

Edit:

Ok, you just started doing this so there would have been no chance to get one a week ago. I'll still be shadowing some of your finds in the next few weeks.

Thank you for the compliments! I'm not far from any of the caches we've been able to find. I was thinking of going back and dropping some off in several of 'em. (I have letterboxes near some that I check on regularly anyway). I made like 20 this morning! Too fun. What's cool is that every one of them is different too... so people could collect 'em. Make a string of 'em to put on a Christmas tree or something.

I did some with pebbles and shells too. Now to make a card to go in the little baggies!

Wow! Some very cool stuff here. I love those rocks with the "?" on them! :blink:

I used to leave tiny plastic baggies with a key from a computer keyboard and a little info card but it was very time consuming to make the laminated info cards. Since I had a child my time for stuff like that is almost zero. <_<