rechargeable batteries.

kybishop

I was going to go back to rechargeable batteries. I had some from many years back, I don't know, 20-25 years ago. GE, great batteries but took all night to charge. They have the quick charge batteries now and I was wondering what people are using as far as chargers and rechargeable batteries. What seems to last longest and work best? Thanks for any info.

KB

The future seems to be NiMH hybrids. The regular NiMH batteries are going to go away, and the hybrids are replacing them. They don't self-discharge nearly as much as regular NiMH, and have at least as much power. They're almost as cheap as alkalines, and can be recharged a thousand times or so.

They'll disappear about the same time as all the NiCad ones :laughing:

They'll disappear about the same time as all the NiCad ones

I haven't seen any AA or AAA NiCd batteries for sale for some time - years. They're long gone, no longer produced, AFAIK. Even the larger NiCd batteries are rarely seen. There will still be stocks of standard NiMH batteries to be sold for awhile, but they won't be produced much longer. Newer, better, cheaper technologies overtake older ones.

I haven't seen any AA or AAA NiCd batteries for sale for some time - years. They're long gone, no longer produced, AFAIK. Even the larger NiCd batteries are rarely seen. There will still be stocks of standard NiMH batteries to be sold for awhile, but they won't be produced much longer. Newer, better, cheaper technologies overtake older ones.

NiCad are still used in cordless power tools because of their high current rating !

LiIon batteries are starting to replace them, though. My newest electric screwdriver uses LiIon, not NiCd. I doubt I'll buy another NiCd battery, because of the memory problems and because the batteries don't last as long as other types. For a long time, we used NiCd batteries in our helicopters, because of the relatively flat discharge rates, but they have been replaced by newer technology lead acid batteries, because of the problems and expense associated with the NiCds. Not to mention the hazardous waste they become.

I must be selling all the old supply then :D . Besides 'standard' size cells a few places, you also still see lots of NiCad used in cordless phones, cordless power tools, some of those outdoor solar lights, and probably other places.

Don't get me wrong, eventally they will no doubt disappear. But they're not all gone quite yet :laughing:

I swear by the Maha charger and PowerEx batteries.
I love my energizer ones. I use the 6 hour charger. My boyfriend has the quick charger and it killed them faster. I think.

I use the Powerex Cool Charger from Maha Energy. Normally I use it in 5 hour mode, but with the flip of a switch it will charge in 100 minutes if I'm in a hurry. I like this charger because it doesn't heat up the batteries like most chargers do. Keeping 'em cool is undoubtedly better for their longevity.

I typically get two full days of caching from each set of their 2700mAh batteries.

I love my energizer ones. I use the 6 hour charger. My boyfriend has the quick charger and it killed them faster. I think.

I killed off my Energizer AA NiMH's with the Energizer quick charger. I won't go near it now. The batteries got super hot, as it wasn't cutting out soon enough at the end of the charge cycle. Pity, as that charger was very expensive in Australia.