Geodetic azimuth

Golfin'Fool and Me too!

Could someone please explain to me what Geodetic azimuth is? I am trying to find a buried reference marker and I'm not sure what direction it is with regards to magnetic North.

This is the info from the data sheet:

AND LOCATED FROM THE STATION AS FOLLOWS-- REFERENCE MARK NO.1, 33.13 FEET, IN GEODETIC AZIMUTH 62 DEG 33 MIN 44 SEC.

A geodetic azimuth is essentially a true azimuth. It is the vector measured from true north at any given point on the earth. As such, the geodetic azimuth at each end of a non-meridional line will differ by the convergence angle between endpoints.

Could someone please explain to me what Geodetic azimuth is? I am trying to find a buried reference marker and I'm not sure what direction it is with regards to magnetic North.

AND LOCATED FROM THE STATION AS FOLLOWS-- REFERENCE MARK NO.1, 33.13 FEET, IN GEODETIC AZIMUTH 62 DEG 33 MIN 44 SEC.

It might depend on how old the description entry was, but most likely they are just emphasizing that the azimuth was referenced to true north rather than magnetic north. You can read about some of the confusion surrounding the term "azimuth" at this wiki page.

Grab your compass and head 62° for 33 feet and then use a metal detector or start probing the ground with a long screwdriver or other stiff probe.

For that short distance the difference between magnetic and true north is relatively small in your neck of the woods, so you can stick with magnetic north.

John

Its either N 62° E of S 62° W

You don't have any way of measuring geodetic Azi (thats computed), compass is your only choice of and the difference it not going to matter for recon.

They would reckon Geodetic Azi from the South in the old days. If this is in the body of an old (earlier than the 70's +/-) description, that may be the direction. If its located in the box score portion that list references, its from the North

Edited by Z15

That's where GPSTrackmaker comes in handy.

GPSTrackmaker

There are some of the other utilities that work great for projects.

DG TERRAIN VIEWER

I just enter an azimuth direction of 62.33 degrees @ x number of Meters.

I can then use the tools and convert to feet,or many other options.

This in turn gives me a point to mark and get the Long. and Latt.

This being in any format even your own(user defined).

You can also choose North Preferences.

It also gives you a track line to send to GPS so you can see it in there while looking.

Same with all reference marks and azimuths.

Or any other reference point.

You can now then select the waypoints and view them in GOOGLE EARTH,Topozone,Map Quest and many other free mapping programs.

Now I'm giving away all my secrets.

Well from my old army surveying days and using Gyroscopic orientation tools Geodetic azimuth was a term used for a TRUE Bearing.

Geodetic North it the true north as referenced by Longitude lines

It is the main reference for other bearings(Grid, Magnetic) to measure from.

Kerry

Edited by stagunner