Anything new from Garmin on the horizon?

Not really interested, unless Garmin comes out with a simular GPS to the eXplorist XL, since I like the higher resolution of the eXplorist XL. Using my eXplorist XL more since my eyesight is getting bad, and the screen is better on the eXplorist XL than the 60Cx(bigger for bad eyes)

Edited by GOT GPS?

I'm surprised there isn't more buzz. The design of the GPSMAP60 series case (i.e., form-factor) is several years old now. It seems like they would be able to shrink it, but they appear to be extending its lifecycle for quite a time now. Their newer products, such as the Nuvi, have a much smaller form-factor with equal-to or greater-than capabilities than the 60 series. Clearly the technology is there to put out a much smaller, more portable hand-held to replace the 60 series, but maybe they are investing their resources in new product development elsewhere (like the ever-expanding automarket).

I'm surprised there isn't more buzz. The design of the GPSMAP60 series case (i.e., form-factor) is several years old now. It seems like they would be able to shrink it, but they appear to be extending its lifecycle for quite a time now. Their newer products, such as the Nuvi, have a much smaller form-factor with equal-to or greater-than capabilities than the 60 series. Clearly the technology is there to put out a much smaller, more portable hand-held to replace the 60 series, but maybe they are investing their resources in new product development elsewhere (like the ever-expanding automarket).

Why would you want it smaller? Go for a smaller model (Venture/Legend)... Having held a 76, a 60 and a Venture in my hands, I prefer the 60 a lot more. I would really hate Garmin if they would stop producing the 60 case format, which is easy to handle and buttons are big enough to be manipulated.

Why would you want it smaller? Go for a smaller model (Venture/Legend)... Having held a 76, a 60 and a Venture in my hands, I prefer the 60 a lot more. I would really hate Garmin if they would stop producing the 60 case format, which is easy to handle and buttons are big enough to be manipulated.

Well, the 60 is quite "thick" - about 1.5 inches. Doesn't fit a pocket that well. It might be nice if it were a bit thinner - closer to 1/2 inch. Also, newer monitors/screens (e.g., HDTV) are more in a "landscape" mode. I would be nice to have that as a display option. Also, can't they be creative - how about a flip screen option? Think about cell phones and how they continue to evolve.

I too am holding out until something catches my eye. I like the older 76 series units, i have two. One of the things that doesn't make sense to me was that when Garmin went to the color screen models, they kept the case size the same but made the display smaller. It's not a big difference but it's certainly noticeable to me. My eyes aren't what they used to be either so that is why i'd like to see a bigger display.

... the GPSMAP60 series case (i.e., form-factor) is several years old now. It seems like they would be able to shrink it, but they appear to be extending its lifecycle for quite a time now. Their newer products, such as the Nuvi, have a much smaller form-factor with equal-to or greater-than capabilities than the 60 series....
So you want 60 series internal features and maybe some enhancements, in a smaller nuvi style case?

I suspect the nuvi units are limited in battery life and not as rugged, compared to the 60 & other "outdoorsman" type units. Long lasting field replacable battery and extra impact resistance built into the case are what many outdoorsmen want - but both of those wants work against downsizing.

Not to say it couldn't be done - but if you've got a case design that works, why mess with it?

... the GPSMAP60 series case (i.e., form-factor) is several years old now. It seems like they would be able to shrink it, but they appear to be extending its lifecycle for quite a time now. Their newer products, such as the Nuvi, have a much smaller form-factor with equal-to or greater-than capabilities than the 60 series....
So you want 60 series internal features and maybe some enhancements, in a smaller nuvi style case?

I suspect the nuvi units are limited in battery life and not as rugged, compared to the 60 & other "outdoorsman" type units. Long lasting field replacable battery and extra impact resistance built into the case are what many outdoorsmen want - but both of those wants work against downsizing.

Not to say it couldn't be done - but if you've got a case design that works, why mess with it?

Wow - seems like lots of folks are still happy with the 60 case design. I don't mind it (I own one), but would think that it should be moving towards something a bit more compact. My ideal GPS receiver would be a ruggedized unit about the size of a pack of cards. It would be mostly screen (non-touch) with some room for buttons.

You Garmin guys. They come out with at least a dozen new products last year and you still want more. :D

As for those of us on the Magellan front, the only new geocaching-capable product we got last year was the eXplorist 500LE, which is basically the 500 with a AAA battery clip instead of the longer-lasting Li-ion battery. :laughing: If Magellan doesn't come out with a significantly different new handheld this year, I will be disappointed but not particularly shocked.

A Venture Cx with the SiRF III chipset would get me pretty excited.

Edited by geognerd
Would that work with the patch antenna and be meaningful? Based on 60Cx family, there's is quite a battery hit using the SiRF and/or quad helix, 32 vs 18 hours.

Hermit

That's something I've been wondering about. I'm trying to figure out why Garmin wouldn't sell an eTrex with the SiRF chip. Is it a technical issue? Others have speculated that it's a way to separate the eTrex color units from the more expensive 60/76 series. Make the more sensitive receiver a selling point and charge more for it.
Would that work with the patch antenna and be meaningful? Based on 60Cx family, there's is quite a battery hit using the SiRF and/or quad helix, 32 vs 18 hours.

Hermit

Our nuvi 350 is sirf with patch antenna. It has a built in LiOH battery, and it runs for about 4 or so hours. I'm not sure of the battery capacity, and it is a nice size screen.

I read on gpspassion.com something about the new garmin bluetooth receiver that indicates it may use the new sirf3 LT chipset, which is supposed to use about 50% of the power of the traditional sirf3 receiver.

All you guys that want smaller units must have really small fingers!!! I think the 60CSX is maybe a bit tall, but otherwise a decent size. If anything, I'd prefer a larger screen and 4 batteries for longer life. GOtta keep it rugged. I'd also like the new 3-D compass coming in the Astro, the compass in my 60CSX sucks quite frankly. Other than that, it could use a better joystick - this one isn't very responsive. Smaller is NOT better!! Mapsource could use some updating and the track features on the unit could make better use of the external card. Does anyone think Garmin is reading these???

Mapsource could use some updating and the track features on the unit could make better use of the external card. Does anyone think Garmin is reading these???

I agree! Why on earth can't they upgrade Mapsource so that it can important waypoints/tracks from other files, instead of forcing me to open two copies of Mapsource and copy/paste btwn them?

I'm ok with the screen size of my 60CSx. It's perfect for how I use it (50% for hiking/'caching, 50% for auto nav). I would like a larger screen but accept that I would probably want an additional unit, rather than ruining the form factor of my 60.

GeoBC