Which MapSource maps to get?

kurchian

I have a new 60CSx and I am confused about which maps to buy. I live in New England.

I will be using it for hiking and geocaching. What is the difference between US Topo 24k (white label) and United states topo (tan brown label)?

Also, if I want to use it periodically for auto-touring do I need to buy another set of maps?

I have a new 60CSx and I am confused about which maps to buy. I live in New England.

I will be using it for hiking and geocaching. What is the difference between US Topo 24k (white label) and United states topo (tan brown label)?

My understanding is that 24k is national parks area only (east, west, central) , and the 100k covers all of the 50 states' areas (east, west, central).

Also, if I want to use it periodically for auto-touring do I need to buy another set of maps?

If auto-touring = autorouting in the GPSr, then US topo will not do that. It is possible that your 60 will autoroute on the basemap.

I have City Navigator v8 NT for auto routing, US Topo (which I've used on all my past GPSr's, too), and now National Parks East 24K. The 24K is great topo, but depending on where you are it may, or may not, cover your area. The 24K covers quite a bit outside actual National Parks and you would have to check to see if it covers your immediate area...it does mine. The CN is almost a must have for the 60CSx or you're not going to use it's full potential. Either, or both, of the topos are a nicety unless you do a lot of hiking; then they will become almost a necessity. Feel free to email me if you have a specific question concerning any of the software.

The CN is almost a must have for the 60CSx or you're not going to use it's full potential.
Please expand on this statement.

Is it not true that the 60Cx only has beeps for turns, not voice. That and the small screen makes it less than optimal for in car use.

Thanks

Hermit

Why is a talking GPS necessary for optimal navigation?

The 60CSx does an excellent job for autorouting in a portable, handheld package. It is not a DVD-based nav system like those that come as OEM or high-end after market units so POIs are not going to be as complete. But since nearly all map data comes from Navteq, the maps are probably nearly as good.

I have used a portable GPS system for autorouting for nearly six years (first with a Garmin GPS V and now with a 60CSx) and have been very pleased. I am a frequent business traveler who frequently has to call on new customers and locations. I would be lost without my 60CSx. I always carry it with me.

My only complaints: the turn notifications on the 60 need to be LOUDER and they need to occur earlier. My old GPS V, using the same map software, was better at this than the 60, so it seems like something that can be improved in the firmware.

I am also an avid day hiker and kayaker. I have the Mapsource Topos, but hardly ever bother to load them up anymore unless I'm going to be in the mountains.

My advice, get CN. You are only getting half the value out of the unit if you aren't using it to autoroute. Try caching for awhile without topos and see if having topo data would be very helpful to you. Then you can decide if your budget and needs align.

Happy tracking!

[is it not true that the 60Cx only has beeps for turns, not voice. That and the small screen makes it less than optimal for in car use.

As most long time users of a good handheld can tell you, when used with good routing software, it is as easy to comprehend as a large screen built in unit. With the zoom feature on turns, I've never found it difficult to read or understand. Between using a handheld for this purpose, for work, geocaching, and hiking, I've averaged 15 to 20 hours of use per week for the last four years and somewhat less prior to that.

And yes, I meant that the 60 CSx, without good routing software, is not being used to it's full potential. Sort of like buying a computer, then not spending any money on software.

This information is great. I am narrowing in on what I need.

I am still not clear on the difference between Metro Navigator and City Navigator. I live in the Metro Boston area.

Also, there is a US Topo east and a Natual Park east. Should I assume that the difference is that there is more detail in the National Park East, but that additional detial is only found in the National Parks?

I am still not clear on the difference between Metro Navigator and City Navigator. I live in the Metro Boston area.

The maps and POI data on the MetroGuide and City Navigator are the same (for the same version). However, only CN will perform routing on those maps in the 60c(s)x. If you try to route on roads with MG loaded, the GPSr tries to use the basemap.

There are ways to get routing to work with MG maps but they have limitations.

I have both MG North America and Europe for my 60csx. I went this route since I have a navigation GPSr for the car (in the US) and pretty much just wanted something to cover walking around cities and caching. The CN products would be ideal but what I have meets my needs (at least for now).

I leave the GPSr in "off-road" mode so even when I say "goto" a waypoint, I only get an arrow and a line but the maps show me the streets and I can figure out how to get close enough to park with a little thought.

Also, there is a US Topo east and a Natual Park east. Should I assume that the difference is that there is more detail in the National Park East, but that additional detial is only found in the National Parks?

Bolingbrook Joe is correct. If you want to auto-route get City Navigator as the new versions of MG do not support auto-routing. CN will more than adequately cover Boston, it will also cover the entire USA. If you have a PC, I suggest getting City Navigator NT. The map sizes are optimized for the 60CSx, you can download to the GPSr what you need.

If you don't have a PC you can get the maps on microSD card.

Regarding the Topo maps, you are correct. The national park maps are more detailed (1:24k vs 1:100k) but only cover the area around the national parks. The USA Topo maps have less detail but cover all parts of the USA. If you get the maps on CD you should get East, West and Alaska/Hawaii. Since you only refer to East maps, I assume you are referring to the maps on microSD card. Again, my opinion is the CDs are the way to go. But I also suggest using the unit for awhile with the CN maps and then decide if the topos are worth it.

Good Luck!