Geocaches in Airports

Fountainb

I wondered if anyone could point me to geocaches that are located in airports. From time to time I do a little traveling, and we once experienced a 9 hour delay in Chicago. We later found out there was a cache there, and that would have given us a little something to do!

I imagine there may not be many because of security reasons, but if there are any, please let me know. Our next trip will have us at airports in Charlotte, NC; Chicaco; San Francisco and Washington-Dulles.

Thanks!

I wondered if anyone could point me to geocaches that are located in airports. From time to time I do a little traveling, and we once experienced a 9 hour delay in Chicago. We later found out there was a cache there, and that would have given us a little something to do!

I imagine there may not be many because of security reasons, but if there are any, please let me know. Our next trip will have us at airports in Charlotte, NC; Chicaco; San Francisco and Washington-Dulles.

Thanks!

You are right security reasons. They are considered a terrorist threat and they should be archived if there is one close to the airport or in it. I hate to see caches archived but we as cachers need to be careful where we put them. We don't want to get a bad rap from the muggles out there.

The Akron airport is a small place. I used to walk over there for ball practice as a kid. I built a soap box derby to race there. Somehow, through a glitch, our family had a multi cache which actually ended on Airport property, just outside the fence, not far from the terminal/restaurant (there are two words that should never be used together.) The ammo box was on a post out in the open by a large tree in an overflow parking area, used mostly for concerts at the Rubber Bowl (don't ask).

When it came to light that the cache was where it was, and that it was technically on Airport right-of-way, and had been for a year, the Manager was shocked. Nice guy, but the legal ramifications of getting permission are more than ponderous. No more cache. He never knew it was there, nor did his ground crew, until I told him.

Edited by Robespierre

What the OP was asking about was caches near airports served by the airlines. Those are but a small percentage of the airports around the world. Caches at those are most definitely a problem since people lurking about acting in a manner that we are all aware of will arouse suspicions in muggles. Those should not be placed. On the other hand there are many airports like the one where my last find was located. That cache is called Rogers and Post. There should be no problem with caches like that one.

The only ones I know of are at O' Hare and in St. Louis. The O'hare one is inside, but you have to be in the United treminal. The one at St. Louis involves a statue outside and requires you to leave the terminal and go through security again.

The one in St. Louis is within the terminal but outside the security area. And has has nothing to do with a statue B) It is a grandfathered virtual, not really a security risk at all.

....You are right security reasons. They are considered a terrorist threat and they should be archived if there is one close to the airport or in it. I hate to see caches archived but we as cachers need to be careful where we put them. We don't want to get a bad rap from the muggles out there.

They are not a terrorist threat. If I park my car and pick up my family in front of the lobby it's not a terrorist threat. The issue is they are in a perpetual state of alert and wish to avoid false alarms. A cache creates a risk of false alarm as do a sack of toys bought as gifts and accidetly forgotten.