Latitude Longatude with 76 CSx

GeoBible

HELLO, can anyone tell me if I can enter Latitude and Longatude information into my 76 CSx then follow the guidance of the gps to the location? That is most of the reason I purchased this unit. most of the places I need to go i only know by The Latitude and Longatude.

I sure hope you get back to me with yes you can do this.

:laughing:

HELLO, can anyone tell me if I can enter Latitude and Longatude information into my 76 CSx then follow the guidance of the gps to the location? That is most of the reason I purchased this unit. most of the places I need to go i only know by The Latitude and Longatude.

I have the 76C and the 76S and I am sure the 76CSx has the ability to either enter via manual (Mark your spot and edit it for the coordinates you want) or use a program like Easy GPS or GSAK to enter them from your computer. Either way if fairly easy. Start out by manually entering the coords and if you have a lot of them get a program like GSAK to load them . Good luck, you have the right GPS. Dick

I have the 76C and the 76S and I am sure the 76CSx has the ability to either enter via manual (Mark your spot and edit it for the coordinates you want) or use a program like Easy GPS or GSAK to enter them from your computer. Either way if fairly easy. Start out by manually entering the coords and if you have a lot of them get a program like GSAK to load them . Good luck, you have the right GPS. Dick

Thanks Dick, I have yet to find how to enter the Lat Lon - and make it work but I will keep looking and I will also try and look the information you gave me Easy GPS and GSAK .

Thanks again. I will look further tomorrow.

I have a 60csx...which is close.

Press MARK.

Now use the up down arrow keys to move to the Lat / Long section.

Press ENTER.

Now use the up down arrows to move around the number pad.

when done...click OK.

Then move down to the OK and press enter.

Now...that location should show up in your way points. (Find, select way point, Enter).

If you need to edit more, just go back to that entry and use the up down arrows to move around.

Edited by GURU4HIRE

Press MARK.

Press ENTER.

when done...click OK.

Now...that location should show up in your way points. (Find, select way point, Enter).

If you need to edit more, just go back to that entry and use the up down arrows to move around.

Press MARK.

Press ENTER.

when done...click OK.

Hi, Again,

This is great and seems so simple I have just got to play with it for a while now. After some of your suggestions I went back into the book and found what you were talking about and I entered some numbers without looking for a specific location but found it works.

Thanks a bunch. I purchased a topo map for east and central and loaded them in the computer now I have to work on that as well. I checked prices for 2 Gig sd mini card on new egg and it is about $68. with a 20 dollar rebate. I hear that the 1 gig I purchased may not be enough to hold one of the topo maps and have many way points. I an very new to the GPS ventures and all it's accesories. I purchased the DVD to learn how to use it and found it to be too basic. It does not get into all the aspects of the gps. Are there any treasure hunters on the forum?

Thanks again.

GeoBible, I haven't had my 76DSx for long but I know if you push the Find button and click on waypoints on the menu it will bring a list of waypoints. If you have none entered it will start with 001. Just click on that number and a page will come up with some info on it. If you highlight the section for coordinates (even if there are some in there) and click enter on it you will get a box full of letters and numbers you will have to navigate through with your rocker switch and enter the coordinates you want to go to. When finished use your rocker to go down to "GoTo" and it will ask if you want "On Road" or "Off Road". Highlight the one you wand and press enter and your GPS will plan your route and tell you when to turn and on what road. Very cool. Good luck.

GeoBible, I haven't had my 76DSx for long but I know if you push the Find button and click on waypoints on the menu it will bring a list of waypoints. If you have none entered it will start with 001. Just click on that number and a page will come up with some info on it. If you highlight the section for coordinates (even if there are some in there) and click enter on it you will get a box full of letters and numbers you will have to navigate through with your rocker switch and enter the coordinates you want to go to. When finished use your rocker to go down to "GoTo" and it will ask if you want "On Road" or "Off Road". Highlight the one you wand and press enter and your GPS will plan your route and tell you when to turn and on what road. Very cool. Good luck.

Thanks and I love the picture you use here. I have been entering locations then I go to the map and it does not go to that area. The problem I may be having is that the Long and Lat I have to work with is too many numbers In utah I want to enter -112.20801 and 41.01187 but it does not allow me to enter all these numbers. I must not be understanding something here. How do I enter this kind of information or is there a conversion I need to know and if I enter the right information then go to map should it go right to the location on the map or do I have to mark my location then go to?

I thought I had it.

GeoBible, I'm not sure what numbers you are trying to enter. I'm sure there are a plethora of experienced users that can help with that. The coordinate #. I use look like this: N39' 56.138......W121' 55.543. It works very well for me when entered the way I noted on my last post. My Avitar (picture) is actually just a joke initiated when a very knowledgable poster (NeoGeo) posted some valuable info on downloading data that helped me tremendously and it led to the funny photo. I made it my Avitar as a good natured joke. I have something else I had planned to use but haven't had the time to tackle it yet. Some times I think I would rather be pulling splinters out of my eyes than deal with some of the computer tasks that need to be done for this sport. It's worth it though. Having lots of fun. Again, good luck.

Thanks and I love the picture you use here. I have been entering locations then I go to the map and it does not go to that area. The problem I may be having is that the Long and Lat I have to work with is too many numbers In utah I want to enter -112.20801 and 41.01187 but it does not allow me to enter all these numbers. I must not be understanding something here. How do I enter this kind of information or is there a conversion I need to know and if I enter the right information then go to map should it go right to the location on the map or do I have to mark my location then go to?

I thought I had it.

You are trying to enter decimal degrees format into decimal minutes format. By default your GPS expects decimal minutes. You can change it but the geocaching website uses decimal minutes.

ddd mm.mmm is decimal minutes

ddd.ddddd is decimal degrees - same spot just different way to show it.

Use this site to translate: http://www.jeeep.com/details/coord/

:unsure:

Thanks Dick, I have yet to find how to enter the Lat Lon - and make it work but I will keep looking and I will also try and look the information you gave me Easy GPS and GSAK .

Thanks again. I will look further tomorrow.

Go to the map page. Press and hold enter button until Mark Waypoint Screen comes up. Edit as needed.

HiTech MD

You are trying to enter decimal degrees format into decimal minutes format. By default your GPS expects decimal minutes. You can change it but the geocaching website uses decimal minutes.

ddd mm.mmm is decimal minutes

ddd.ddddd is decimal degrees - same spot just different way to show it.

Use this site to translate: http://www.jeeep.com/details/coord/

Or just change the format in your 76CSx to ddd.ddddd <_< . Try the Setup menu to do this.