Could we be shut down?

Hobo2

:laughing: I just viewed in Groungspeak Forums (Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)), a lot of very cool and great ideas, not only with making caches, but where to place/hide them. Most of the ideas are supper, but some have me concerned. I saw where people have drilled holes, strapped to, and put look-alike electrical boxes, etc. in, on, and around public picnic areas and public utilities. I know this was done with good intentions and probably doesn’t matter at all for the most part. But there are those that might unintentionally inflict damage to some of these facilities.

My concern is if public works departments across the country start having trouble because of Geocachers, we might be put out of business some how; you now how they think. I want to caution people to fallow the guidelines on placement, but also be aware of setting the norm. If people get to use to looking for caches being electrical boxes etc. won’t others start opening real electrical boxes etc. and possibly get hurt? And if holes are drilled into wooden support beams that weaken or promote rot in structures, aren’t we putting ourselves at risk?

Please, lets all of us ask ourselves if I place my cache here will someone get hurt; remember kids hunt too, or what affect will it have if I leave what I have done for years to come.

uhhh usually the dangerous boxes have a lock on them but i may also have to agree with you even though i want to make one i see what your getting at at least on the cache page we should put a warning or properly label our caches. that would be best so we dont make a bunch of people gang up and start a riot :laughing:

:laughing: I just viewed in Groungspeak Forums (Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's)), a lot of very cool and great ideas, not only with making caches, but where to place/hide them. Most of the ideas are supper, but some have me concerned. I saw where people have drilled holes, strapped to, and put look-alike electrical boxes, etc. in, on, and around public picnic areas and public utilities. I know this was done with good intentions and probably doesn’t matter at all for the most part. But there are those that might unintentionally inflict damage to some of these facilities.

My concern is if public works departments across the country start having trouble because of Geocachers, we might be put out of business some how; you now how they think. I want to caution people to fallow the guidelines on placement, but also be aware of setting the norm. If people get to use to looking for caches being electrical boxes etc. won’t others start opening real electrical boxes etc. and possibly get hurt? And if holes are drilled into wooden support beams that weaken or promote rot in structures, aren’t we putting ourselves at risk?

Please, lets all of us ask ourselves if I place my cache here will someone get hurt; remember kids hunt too, or what affect will it have if I leave what I have done for years to come.

I agree to a point , geocaching should be or" better said":has to be safe. I found a cache once, a magnetic key holder under a picknic table it had the words " DANGER POISON BLACK WIDOW TRAP do not touch " or something like that. I had kids with me. after looking at it carfuly and remebering the hint "disreguard warnings ". i signed the log and put it back . I did'nt tell the kids about the warning , i dont think they would understand ,not listening to possiably fatal warnings I think it would take alot to "shut it down" and i would hope most geocachers play it safe.

The first "Decon" container I found had something to the effect of "Danger! Poison - do not open" and I was kinda freaked out by it because, after all, it was used surplus army stuff. So I gave it to my friend and made her open it.

;):D:D You sound like some of my friends.

... If people get to use to looking for caches being electrical boxes etc. won’t others start opening real electrical boxes etc. and possibly get hurt? And if holes are drilled into wooden support beams that weaken or promote rot in structures, aren’t we putting ourselves at risk? ...

You shouldn't be drilling holes in wooden support beams regardless of what you are doing. As for fake electrical equipment vs. real. Putting a cache on real equipment isn't a good idea. As for being able to open a real box...sorry but that equipment should be locked and not accessable to the general public who the equipment always seems to be placed near.

... If people get to use to looking for caches being electrical boxes etc. won’t others start opening real electrical boxes etc. and possibly get hurt? And if holes are drilled into wooden support beams that weaken or promote rot in structures, aren’t we putting ourselves at risk? ...

You shouldn't be drilling holes in wooden support beams regardless of what you are doing. As for fake electrical equipment vs. real. Putting a cache on real equipment isn't a good idea. As for being able to open a real box...sorry but that equipment should be locked and not accessable to the general public who the equipment always seems to be placed near.

I agree with RK's points, but with a couple of caveats:

1. Can we depend on all cachers to use the proper common sense not to drill those holes? Not so sure about that.

2. Can we depend on public utilities to make sure that ALL their electrical boxes and other dangerous items in proximity to the general public are all always locked? Not so sure about that either.

My point is (and this is where I think the OP makes an interesting/valid point): All it will take will be one news story about a fatal accident such at such a venue, where it is revealed that the victim was a geocacher playing a game of hide n' seek, and the negative press about our "collective lack of common sense" and "we must now protect our children", etc etc, could be overwhelming.

The first "Decon" container I found had something to the effect of "Danger! Poison - do not open" and I was kinda freaked out by it because, after all, it was used surplus army stuff. So I gave it to my friend and made her open it.

I thought thats why you take the wife and kids caching......so we don't do the dangerous stuff sheeesh.

Greg :anicute::(:anicute::anicute:

I think drat19 understands what I was trying to say here. I know kids that will copy everything there elders do. I can just see a family out for a fun day of Geocaching, finding a cache filled with toys etc. in an electrical box, only to find out later there three year old who was with them that day was electrocuted by looking in an electrical box for toys somewhere else. Or a Geocacher responsible for the failure of a picnic table roof at some park that collapsed on someone, due to strong winds because they drilled a hole in the support beam. Can you just imagine the field day the media would have over something like this?

Lets keep some common sense in placing our caches. Try and remember who will be visiting your cache and what they learn from it. At the very least, remember there are sue happy people out there as well. You place your identity with your cache and you may very well be held responsible for any damage.

Thanks for the responses, I hope we can keep this great sport from vanishing due to some unintentional, unforeseen, misfortune. Lets keep our thoughts towards safety as much as having fun.

Thanks again. :unsure:

Hobo2

PS. Some kids just having fun by placing lights around town were just edited on all sorts of charges, and the sponsors of this game may be fined up to $1,000,000. So please think first.

I think drat19 understands what I was trying to say here. I know kids that will copy everything there elders do. I can just see a family out for a fun day of Geocaching, finding a cache filled with toys etc. in an electrical box, only to find out later there three year old who was with them that day was electrocuted by looking in an electrical box for toys somewhere else. Or a Geocacher responsible for the failure of a picnic table roof at some park that collapsed on someone, due to strong winds because they drilled a hole in the support beam. Can you just imagine the field day the media would have over something like this?...

Did you have a sample cache in mind or is this a warning for a problem that you have never seen? It's easy to invent a warning and claim it's for everyones safety.

As for Boston, the city should have applied the common sence. There were 10 cities involved and only one freaked out and created a problem.

I think drat19 understands what I was trying to say here. I know kids that will copy everything there elders do. I can just see a family out for a fun day of Geocaching, finding a cache filled with toys etc. in an electrical box, only to find out later there three year old who was with them that day was electrocuted by looking in an electrical box for toys somewhere else. Or a Geocacher responsible for the failure of a picnic table roof at some park that collapsed on someone, due to strong winds because they drilled a hole in the support beam. Can you just imagine the field day the media would have over something like this?...

Did you have a sample cache in mind or is this a warning for a problem that you have never seen? It's easy to invent a warning and claim it's for everyones safety.

As for Boston, the city should have applied the common sence. There were 10 cities involved and only one freaked out and created a problem.

Speaking for myself (as opposed to the OP), I *have* run across more than one of the "fake electrical box" cache variety (I'd post you a link but they were both several years ago and I can't recall which of my finds they were), and I must admit, I found them disturbing for the reason the OP and I have posted..."what if I were a kid who didn't know any better while sniffing around and touching these electrical runs alongside this building?"

I haven't run across any of the "hole drilled in the support beam" variety, but I *have* seen holes drilled in other benign pieces of wood structures to accommodate a match safe or 35mm can...so it's not a large leap to imagine a support beam drill-hole.

As i stated in my first note i saw pictures of caches with the concerns listed above in use. The forum was called "Cool Cache Containers" (CCC's).

I can just see a family out for a fun day of Geocaching, finding a cache filled with toys etc. in an electrical box, only to find out later there three year old who was with them that day was electrocuted by looking in an electrical box for toys somewhere else...

Lets keep some common sense in placing our caches...

This common sense you speak of... it allows you to let your three year old play on electrical boxes while you're somewhere else? ;)

I can just see a family out for a fun day of Geocaching, finding a cache filled with toys etc. in an electrical box, only to find out later there three year old who was with them that day was electrocuted by looking in an electrical box for toys somewhere else...

This common sense you speak of... it allows you to let your three year old play on electrical boxes while you're somewhere else? ;)

You don't have kids do you? You must also have an electrical box for a cache? If you had your own, or knew some kids you would know what i am saying here, they do tend to get into things you would rather them not to.

One of our local cachers, who is an electrician, made a blog about that point.

Here

Thanks for the blog from your friend, I hope others heed the warning. And to take a quote from him, "if I have helped stop one injury by writing this post, it will be well worth it".

Edited by Hobo2

I too have personally seen caches hidden on or under electrical boxes. Fake electrical boxes near power junctions. Caches hidden in holes drilled in support beams/sign posts. Caches with official looking, but very fake, warnings on them. Caches with official looking, but also very fake, governnment anti-tamper warnings complete with official looking seals, fake legal citations, and fake penalties. A Cache hidden on a grade school property with no advisory for cachers to stay away during school hours. Shall I go on?

Many cachers either have no common sense or chose to ignore what little they have. They get too caught up in trying to "one up" each other and some people just do not possess the ability to know when too much is too much.

I'm almost positive that I could go to any mid to large-sized metro area in the country and find these types of ill-advised caches without much difficulty.

The questions is wether there is anything that can be done about the problem??? Who will police these types of issues? Do we want to start "snitching" on each other?

I too have personally seen caches hidden on or under electrical boxes. Fake electrical boxes near power junctions. Caches hidden in holes drilled in support beams/sign posts. Caches with official looking, but very fake, warnings on them. Caches with official looking, but also very fake, governnment anti-tamper warnings complete with official looking seals, fake legal citations, and fake penalties. A Cache hidden on a grade school property with no advisory for cachers to stay away during school hours. Shall I go on?

Many cachers either have no common sense or chose to ignore what little they have. They get too caught up in trying to "one up" each other and some people just do not possess the ability to know when too much is too much.

I'm almost positive that I could go to any mid to large-sized metro area in the country and find these types of ill-advised caches without much difficulty.

The questions is wether there is anything that can be done about the problem??? Who will police these types of issues? Do we want to start "snitching" on each other?

No I don’t think snitching on each other is in order here, but what do you think we should do if we run across a real problem cache?

Maybe a photo, or a very detailed description of what and where we plan to place our cache sent into the publisher may help, what do you think?

I don’t want to restrict this sport at all, this was not my intention. I was just merely trying to point out some clearly seen safety issues.

There are plenty of electrical box caches placed with permission. So, before snitching on them, have a dialogue with the cache owner about your concerns.

There is nothing in the listing guidelines that squarely prohibits a particular container, such as a fake electric box. The guidelines do address buried caches, caches that involve defacing a natural or man-made object, or caches hidden on private property without permission. So, if you are going to "report" a cache you don't like, definitely focus on the guidelines.

As i stated in my first note i saw pictures of caches with the concerns listed above in use. The forum was called "Cool Cache Containers" (CCC's).

In other words you don't have anything specific in mind. Just a vague sence of a problem? Concern over safety is almost always used as a smoke screen to take freedom away from others for the much more simple reason "I just don't like that".

Edited by Renegade Knight

In other words you don't have anything specific in mind. Just a vague sence of a problem? Concern over safety is almost always used as a smoke screen to take freedom away from others for the much more simple reason "I just don't like that".

I am sorry now I even brought it up. Some narrow minded agenda toting people now have twisted my well meaning cautionary note as something it wasn't meant to be. If this is the kind of reaction I get from the people of Forums, I will just bow out! :huh:

Some of you got the jest of what I was trying to say here, I thank you for that.

Hobo2

Edited by Hobo2

I am sorry now I even brought it up. Some narrow minded agenda toting people now have twisted my well meaning cautionary note as something it wasn't meant to be. If this is the kind of reaction I get from the people of Forums, I will just bow out! :D

Some of you got the jest of what I was trying to say here, I thank you for that.

Hobo2

I'm sorry I thought you were being serious not making a joke. :D

Using these emoticons will help convey when you are jesting about something... :D:D:D:D:huh::shocked:

Definition of jest:

jest (jst)

n.

1. A playful or amusing act; a prank. See Synonyms at joke.

2. A frolicsome or frivolous mood: spoken in jest.

3. An object of ridicule; a laughingstock.

4. A witty remark.

v. jest·ed, jest·ing, jests

v.intr.

1. To act or speak playfully.

2. To make witty remarks.

3. To utter scoffs; gibe.

v.tr.

To make fun of; ridicule.

This common sense you speak of... it allows you to let your three year old play on electrical boxes while you're somewhere else? :D

You don't have kids do you? You must also have an electrical box for a cache? If you had your own, or knew some kids you would know what i am saying here, they do tend to get into things you would rather them not to.

Married 33 years, Sons age 32, 29, 24 and 17, Daughters 25 and 15. Case Monitor for Department of Youth Services, Boy Scout since 1960, Council Chairman and Troop Leader for 11 years, Foster parent (to four kids so far), registered as a Neighborhood Safe House... nah, I guess you are right, I don't know squat about raising kids. :huh:

And I don't have an electrical box cache. :D

And what did you do about them? Some of what you mentioned are clear guidelines violations. Did you report them to your reviewer? Issue an SBA log? Or did you just log in, take your smiley and decided to cry about it later?

...I am sorry now I even brought it up. Some narrow minded agenda toting people now have twisted my well meaning cautionary note as something it wasn't meant to be. If this is the kind of reaction I get from the people of Forums, I will just bow out! :laughing:

Hobo2

Everyone has an agenda. You brought yours up with the topic. I called you on it becaue my agenda includes a world that is much more free than the one we live in. Free for all people to enjoy right down to not having helmet laws on motorcycles.

I assure you have views that would narrow my world while I hold views that would expand yours. I doubt we are actually that far apart on any one thing. Just the angle we view it from.

This common sense you speak of... it allows you to let your three year old play on electrical boxes while you're somewhere else? :laughing:

Married 33 years, Sons age 32, 29, 24 and 17, Daughters 25 and 15. Case Monitor for Department of Youth Services, Boy Scout since 1960, Council Chairman and Troop Leader for 11 years, Foster parent (to four kids so far), registered as a Neighborhood Safe House... nah, I guess you are right, I don't know squat about raising kids. :laughing:

And I don't have an electrical box cache. B)

I wouldn't want one either and whether or not I have kids isn't the point. One of my exs used to work for the hydro company and I got a good lesson in electrical safety from one of his coworkers - a man who has spent 20 years working on the electrical lines.

I don't like electrical caches even though I've found them. They just scare the bejesus out of me.

...I am sorry now I even brought it up. Some narrow minded agenda toting people now have twisted my well meaning cautionary note as something it wasn't meant to be. If this is the kind of reaction I get from the people of Forums, I will just bow out! <_<

Hobo2

Everyone has an agenda. You brought yours up with the topic. I called you on it becaue my agenda includes a world that is much more free than the one we live in. Free for all people to enjoy right down to not having helmet laws on motorcycles.

I assure you have views that would narrow my world while I hold views that would expand yours. I doubt we are actually that far apart on any one thing. Just the angle we view it from.

Thanks for the more respectful reply, it is refreshing. I too want freedom, freedom to Geocache without fear, this is why I brought this subject up.

You and I well know how the world works now-a-days. If just one or two caches get placed where something happens we will all suffer the affects. This is what I wanted to point out and maybe stop it before it happens.

I was and am concerned from what I saw in /forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=62421, (forgive my way of sending this forums web page). This forums post showed holes drilled into a picnic canopy, and electrical look-a-like caches. I also know as you must, that kids pick up on stuff without knowing the dangers. I just know there will be a kid that will open an electrical box looking for toys, because they were with there folks and saw that this is where toys are hid, don’t you agree?

I did not mean how this was spun. I wasn’t saying or calling on people to start snitching on each other, or to start limiting where and how we place our caches. I just wanted to point out something I think would be potentially harmful to people as well as our freedom to Geocache.

Hobo2

PS. I love this new sport, I am acing for the weather to break so I can get out and go on the hunt.

PSS. I am 47, also married with seven children, and was a Boy Scout Master for a number of years. So I do know how kids think. Also my father who is an Electrical Engineer has taught me a great deal about stresses, and how it affects structures. I know that drilling a hole in a support beam weakens it, not a good idea for a cache.

This common sense you speak of... it allows you to let your three year old play on electrical boxes while you're somewhere else? :D

Married 33 years, Sons age 32, 29, 24 and 17, Daughters 25 and 15. Case Monitor for Department of Youth Services, Boy Scout since 1960, Council Chairman and Troop Leader for 11 years, Foster parent (to four kids so far), registered as a Neighborhood Safe House... nah, I guess you are right, I don't know squat about raising kids. <_<

And I don't have an electrical box cache. :D

I wouldn't want one either and whether or not I have kids isn't the point. One of my exs used to work for the hydro company and I got a good lesson in electrical safety from one of his coworkers - a man who has spent 20 years working on the electrical lines.

I don't like electrical caches even though I've found them. They just scare the bejesus out of me.

You understand, thank you for that :)

...I am sorry now I even brought it up. Some narrow minded agenda toting people now have twisted my well meaning cautionary note as something it wasn't meant to be. If this is the kind of reaction I get from the people of Forums, I will just bow out! <_<

Hobo2

Thanks for the more respectful reply, it is refreshing. I too want freedom, freedom to Geocache without fear, this is why I brought this subject up.

You and I well know how the world works now-a-days. If just one or two caches get placed where something happens we will all suffer the affects. This is what I wanted to point out and maybe stop it before it happens.

I was and am concerned from what I saw in /forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=62421, (forgive my way of sending this forums web page). This forums post showed holes drilled into a picnic canopy, and electrical look-a-like caches. I also know as you must, that kids pick up on stuff without knowing the dangers. I just know there will be a kid that will open an electrical box looking for toys, because they were with there folks and saw that this is where toys are hid, don’t you agree?

I did not mean how this was spun. I wasn’t saying or calling on people to start snitching on each other, or to start limiting where and how we place our caches. I just wanted to point out something I think would be potentially harmful to people as well as our freedom to Geocache.

Hobo2

PS. I love this new sport, I am acing for the weather to break so I can get out and go on the hunt.

PSS. I am 47, also married with seven children, and was a Boy Scout Master for a number of years. So I do know how kids think. Also my father who is an Electrical Engineer has taught me a great deal about stresses, and how it affects structures. I know that drilling a hole in a support beam weakens it, not a good idea for a cache.

Here we go... www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=69e9ed51-639c-41a0-976f-30543d52

Let's not leave those fake sprinkler head caches out of this discussion either. Someone could drown if they accidently opened up a real sprinkler head, or get sick if they lick thier hand after touching some fertilizer. <_<

Actually-let's realize that a very very small percentage of cachers even bother to read the forums, and will not get the positive message from this and other well meaning threads because of the signal/noise ratio. :)

But as long as the satellites are beaming the signals down on us, there will be people playing GPS location type games. :D

I doubt it could all be shut down, but it could become more restrictive.

Edited by wimseyguy
Here we go... www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=69e9ed51-639c-41a0-976f-30543d52
I have no idea what you were going for, but your link doesn't work.

He is referring to the "Pipe Bomb" cache page.

Edit: Removed comments that were unneeded.

Edited by ZSandmann

Isn't there already a thread to discuss that issue?

Isn't there already a thread to discuss that issue?

Two or three actually <_<

....I was and am concerned from what I saw in /forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?act=ST&f=6&t=62421, (forgive my way of sending this forums web page). This forums post showed holes drilled into a picnic canopy, and electrical look-a-like caches. I also know as you must, that kids pick up on stuff without knowing the dangers. I just know there will be a kid that will open an electrical box looking for toys, because they were with there folks and saw that this is where toys are hid, don’t you agree?...

On the first thing. If they did drill holes in the beams you don't even need to go into the safety & engineering issue. It's vandalism and the cache owner should be charged and fined to drive home the point. However If they found a handy knothole and used that, that's sheer brilliance and a great hide.

As for the kids and eletrical box thing, The real issue here is that real eletricial equipment located where kids play (or have access too) needs to be secured. Yes sometimes it's not, but the danger of kids checking out the box is real even if geocaching didn't exist. Kids are like that. The threat isn't worse because geocaching exists or because someone created a fake box. Kids are already going to poke and prod into every nook and cranny in their world.