Better Cache Containers

deirarobert

My wife and I just recently started, but we quickly stocked our day pack with camoe'ed matchstick holders and lock-and-lock containers. We have replaced a handful of waterlogged cache containers with more waterproof ones (always the same general size and in the same location). We also plan to hide many more in the near future. So far my "technology upgrade" includes:

-matchstick containers to replace film canisters

-various lock-and-lock containers to replace round, square and rectangle tupperware containers

-Rob Guard containers to replace unsealed PVC tubes Link

-Ammo cans to replace anything larger

My questions are:

1. What is the best container to replace magnetic key holders?

2. Are ther any other containers that should be on my list?

Thanks for your input!

First off I would like to say that I appreciate the spirit behind your intentions of trying to improve the sport for the rest of the geocaching community. I have been disappointed many times that cache owner did not take enough pride in a hide to use a quality waterproof container.

I do want to add a word of caution. Before you replace someone else's cache container please make sure you contact the cache owner to make sure the do not mind that you are completely changing their cache. Even though the intention is to improve the quality of the cache to future finders many owners will not appreciate it.

As for small containers, I have not seen anything the size of a Key holder with a magnet that is waterproof.

Plano makes a small waterproof box the same size as an Altoids tin Plano 1061

Otter Box makes some small boxes but they are $12 to $27 for altoid size boxes.

GEO.JOE

Geo Joe brings up a good point. I've replaced damaged cache containers in the past. Usually when it's noted for a while in the logs, the cache owner has not been active and it is a good location. When I am out and caching and it appears to be a new problem, I would likely try and fix it if I had the stuff with me. If it is a so-so hide, I would inform the owner and use my containers for a new hide in a better location - my$0.02.

Edited by Katydid & Miles Stone

Geo Joe brings up a good point. I've replaced damaged cache containers in the past. Usually when it's noted for a while in the logs, the cache owner has not been active and it is a good location. When I am out and caching and it appears to be a new problem, I would likely try and fix it if I had the stuff with me. If it is a so-so hide, I would inform the owner and use my containers for a new hide in a better location - my$0.02.

I've not replaced any containers although I've been disappointed by some poor ones. I have replaced a log that disintegrated when I removed it from a magenetic key holder (new log in a nice recloseable bag that fit the container) and I patched a hole in a container with camo duct tape (noted in my log so the owner can check but I think the tape will hold well and it blended with the paint job well enough). Other than that I make mention of the condition of the cache so owners know if it's wet, damp, in good shape, muggled, etc. I found one that was obviously not where the owner had hidden it but I left it, took a photo, and emailed the owner (including the photo) so he could find it and rehide it as he intended it to be hidden.

Edited by jackrock

I've only replaced containers 3 times in 5 years at this. 1 was an old tupperware container cracked in half from an ill placed rock - was down to a plastic baggie. I happened to have a lock-n-lock container roughly the same size with me. 2 was a film canister chewed to bits from a local critter - logbook chewed up too but was marked as a cache - used a seed cache I picked up. 3 was a camo lock-n-lock with broken tabs on lid, had an identical one. I have used my basic repapir kit on a few others. Tape, stickers - new logbook, pens, pencils.

Having said that, I would never replace one container with a different type. Most minor issues I note in my log or email the owner so they can decide the best way to proceed. It is thier cache and they may get upset.

Thanks for your willinginess to help but I would contact the owner first in most instances.

I do want to add a word of caution. Before you replace someone else's cache container please make sure you contact the cache owner to make sure the do not mind that you are completely changing their cache. Even though the intention is to improve the quality of the cache to future finders many owners will not appreciate it.

I agree with this. In general, you should only go around replacing containers if you know the cache has been abandoned, or if you have the OK of the owner. Of course if there is an "emergency situation" where the container has been destroyed I think replacing it would be fine with the owner, but making a habit of simply going around and upgrading containers without being asked may tick off some cache owners.

To answer your question about the magnetic key holders, perhaps the smallest Lock n Locks with an earth magnet taped to the inside of the lid would work. They are a lot bigger than the key holders, but I find they fit nicely inside guardrails and many other places that magnetic key holders tend to be hidden.

That or a waterproof matchbox, or a 2 oz Nalgene Straight Jar with an earth magnet taped inside the lid or duct taped to the side, or bottom.

Another option is to get a bunch of the 2 x 3 or 2 x 2 4 mil Ziplocs. They fit nicely inside the key holder compartment when folded in half and the 4 mil bags are pretty durable and will protect the log pretty well. You generally only find the 4 mil bags online though.

Edited by briansnat

My wife and I just recently started, but we quickly stocked our day pack with camoe'ed matchstick holders and lock-and-lock containers. We have replaced a handful of waterlogged cache containers with more waterproof ones (always the same general size and in the same location). We also plan to hide many more in the near future. So far my "technology upgrade" includes:

-matchstick containers to replace film canisters

-various lock-and-lock containers to replace round, square and rectangle tupperware containers

-Rob Guard containers to replace unsealed PVC tubes Link

-Ammo cans to replace anything larger

My questions are:

1. What is the best container to replace magnetic key holders?

2. Are ther any other containers that should be on my list?

Thanks for your input!

I understand that pelican containers are very good i think they have a lifetime warranty too . i like the lock & lock containers too

I have found using old Thermos Lunch Box containers (for soups, drinks) work great, put alittle camo tape on them and it's sturdy, andy very water tight. I have also converted some 1/2 gal. Water jugs for containers, with the same idea with the camo tape. I take the handle off and fill in the holes with gorilla glue and i glue the lid shut if it has a spout. And the great thing about these containers is that every few weeks I go to the local Goodwill store and pick these containers up for 59 cents, 99cents, etc... I have a Lunch Box Thermos that looks like a Campbells soup can that i looking for a perfect spot for & the cache name will be: Mmm, Mmmm, Good Cache! As always, i just do not like the cheap disposable containers that you just know the lids are going to crack, etc... Thanks for thinking about better containers!

Edited by mdegarmo

I replaced one of those once. The owner was quite ill, and it was a great hide. The Lock and Lock was the same size and shape as the Tupperware. But, I've pretty much given up on that idea. I found an venerable old cache this weekend. It was hidden in June of 01. Pretzel jars are not watertight! Owner hasn't cached in three years. Many logs have noted that the contents are damp (even the replacement log that someone put out.) Maybe it's time for it to die a decent death? It never ceases to amaze me what terrible containers some hiders hide. Gladware is not Tupperware. Or Chinese food containers! Not only did they have food in them previously, but they are also very fragile. Saw one hidden under a rock. I called it the smashed cache.

As to alternatives to magnetic keyholders, they don't seem to be ready made. It might take some creativity.

There is a place called THE CONTAINER STORE and they have a line of small Japanese food containers, one of which holds 40 Almonds, hey I'm on a diet so I know, and that would make a great substitute for a magnetic key case. The top is pliable and the container is small enough to be easily hidden and magnets can be attached. they have others, which I use for backpack storage of things like matches and bandaids.