Rude cachers

chuckr30

No other meaning, exactly that... hunting ra"coon" ! :laughing:

In these parts (for values of "these parts" equal to my house and yard) we don't hunt raccoons. We hand feed them marshmallows on the back deck. Every now and again a mama raccoon brings her kits to meet 'Uncle VeryLost, the Marshmallow Guy'.

Peanut butter sandwiches are very popular, too.

The cachers in my area very rudely insist on holding events and informal gatherings at ungodly times, like, nine am on a Saturday, when decent people (i.e. me) are still sound asleep. Does that count?

But I get even with them. I go out after midnight and grab FTFs on newly published caches :D

We don't have any here, but we do have a bunch of FTF racers, if your not there in 15 min, the cache is old, unless it is in a park or preserve then better be at the gate when it opens.

:laughing:

Edited by Mystery Ink

Ok, I'll admit, there was that one time when another cacher was yelling at me out on the trails...no wait, that was my husband. Oh, there was the time two cachers pushed me aside to get at the cache container....no wait, those were my kids.

It's really is the whole cyberspace vs in person thing. I haven't MET a rude cacher in person but have encountered them in the forum and via email. Usually I just assume they have no idea how they are coming across.

We don't have any here, but we do have a bunch of FTF racers, if your not there in 15 min, the cache is old, unless it is in a park or preserve then better be at the gate when it opens.

Cough Cough. I seem to recall one certain large white vehicle rudely pealing away from a stop light towards a FTF attempt we were heading for. :laughing:

I hear that some cachers switch between cacher and muggle, and will steal caches. Like pirates and privateers u know.

You're local to me so you should know we have at least one of those. They aren't very good at hiding their tracks. They also have noticable patterns of behavior. It's hard to catch them red handed out in public, but we pretty much KNOW who they are from IP traces on our local websites. :laughing:

That's what I meant when I posted this:

Others are just plain sad and angry with world and will jump at any chance to lash out. Thankfully those types are few and far between. They usually go away when they don't get to feed off the reaction they wished to provoke. Sadly though, they are creatures of habit and sometimes return.

We tried to kill one of our local cache maggots with kindness and it worked for over a year. Caches & TBs of certain people stopped getting messed with and disappearing. However, sad, angry, unhappy people tend to revert to old habits when they get ticked off for whatever reason they can dig up and caches start to disappear again. The IP traces tell the story and it always fits the pattern of behavior. :)

All you can do is quietly replace your cache and NOT make a fuss about it. :)

I can tell you that I know our local cache maggot stalks me and at least one other local person on these forums, so I can probably expect to be quietly replacing another cache or two real soon. :) It's hard to get angry when you know what motivates a person. There is a certain satisfaction that they give back to you when they prove you right time and again. :)

Edited by Snoogans
I got my first real forum warning late last year.

Really? Me too. I got it for blatantly calling someone a troll. (Granted stating the obvious didn't add much to the conversation)

Now I just mention such things in passing. :)

I called a buncha people on a TB thread "whiners." I've gone back to reminding people that I think the TB Forum should be called "The Whining and Unrealistic Expectation Forum," instead of directing it right AT them. :laughing:

I just noticed you were from France, just to clarify... it is generally accepted to shorten the word to "coon" here in the states. We also call boar hunting here, "hog" hunting and "Pig"hunting, and we have a few other names for them I can't use on the family friendly forums. :laughing:

Thanks, for the calrification.

BTW, I live in France but am not french ! I am belgian. I prefer to let it be known because of the "special" relations between France and the US ! :)

I just read some pretty nasty stuff on a french forum, so just in case !

Well in the deep south of the US this can be taken as a very derogatory term to African Americans. So I wouldn't suggest going around yelling that term. B)

Erm - do you actually live in the "deep south", and/or anywhere that people actually go hunting?

While it's true that the word "coon" has a secondary derogatory meaning, I've never known "coonhunting" to mean anything but exactly what it does - hunting racoons, often with the aid of coonhounds - nor anybody to take it the wrong way except those ignorant of the fact that yes, people do hunt for raccoons.

Reminds me of the ridiculous thread we had once on a dog NG when some city slicker saw a pickup truck with a bumper sticker reading "I hunt Black & Tans", misread it as "I hunt Blacks & Tans", and jumped to the absurd conclusion that the driver of the truck was a Horrible Redneck Racist.

She was so full of Righteous Politically Correct Indignation (all based on her inability to read properly, and her ASSumption that "black and tans" referred to skin color) that she wasted quite a lot of bandwidth refusing to accept that "Black & Tans" meant "Black & Tan Coonhounds", and "I hunt <fitb dog breed>" means "I hunt with <fitb dog breed>", and there was NO implied double meaning.... even when I gave her a link to the website where the bumper sticker was sold, along with stickers saying "I hunt Blueticks", "I hunt Redbones", "I hunt Beagles", "I hunt Fiests", and so forth.

Edited by cimawr

I'm talking like in areas of Tennessee and Georgia and places like that. Not that I don't love those states. I think they are great states with great people. Spent some great vacation days there. But some of the people are still a little bit racist. So there can be tensions between the races in certain parts.

There are racist people everywhere, not just in Tennessee and Georgia, and there are tensions between the races - which, btw, covers a lot more ground than just "white" and "black" people (go do a Google on the issues with the Hmong in the MidWest, or with Asian immigrants in London) - everywhere as well.

But I can just about guarantee you that people who actually live there know perfectly well that the term "coonhunter" means "person (of any race) who hunts raccoons" and does NOT have any double entendre attached, and would think that you attempting to caution people who actually have experience in the matter, and/or who actually live in the areas you're talking about (rather than just having been there on vacation a couple of times) about it is, well... a bit presumptuous.

Getting back to the actual subject of the thread - I've only been caching for 6 months, and have only been to one event, so maybe I'll run into somebody really rude someday, but so far, I really can't say I've encountered any real rudeness.

Most I've communicated with have been perfectly civil.

(I'm NOT counting the occasional snerky or trollish exchange in here. B) And even in here, I've not had any real rudeness aimed at me personally, although I have seen some aimed at others.)

Although, at the one event I've attended, there really wasn't much in the way of welcome to newcomers, and the one "big name" cacher (who is also a big FTF hound) encountered did come across as rather self-important, and not at all interested in talking to anyone who wasn't "somebody". Since 3 other newbies who attended told me they got the same impression, well....

But that's not really what I'd call "rude", just somewhat self-centered. And all the other cachers we encountered while out actually hunting the event caches were friendly.

As far as other in-person encounters, I've never really run into any other cachers, although I did once see someone leaving a roadside cache as I approached.

The only "rude" I think I could say I've encountered there would be the anonymous jerk who destroyed or stole all the TB hotels for about 50 miles around recently... and I do think it thoughtless and self-centered, if not downright rude, when somebody in a big hurry to rack up numbers on a cache run doesn't bother to replace caches properly.

I'm talking like in areas of Tennessee and Georgia and places like that. Not that I don't love those states. I think they are great states with great people. Spent some great vacation days there. But some of the people are still a little bit racist. So there can be tensions between the races in certain parts.

I live in Georgia. I've lived here al my life. I can report with confidence that the term 'coon' is very rarely used around here in any racial context. I've NEVER heard the term 'coonhunter' used in such a way.

Well in the deep south of the US this can be taken as a very derogatory term to African Americans. So I wouldn't suggest going around yelling that term. B)

It's sad but true: Here in the deep south, pretty much ANY term can be taken as very derogatory to African Americans. If it CAN be taken the wrong way, it WILL be taken the wrong way -- by some, at least. In my observation there are many, many more overly-sensitive 'victims' than there are actual bigots. Both groups annoy the crap out of me.

I think the PC Language Police can be almost as oppressive as the actual bigots who some folks are convinced live under every rock.

Sorry. Back on topic:

I've run into a couple cranky cachers via email (folks tend to be more willing to drop their civility when not communicating in person), but I've never encountered anyone other than the very nicest folks 'on the trail.' Geocachers are good people.

All of the cachers that I have communicated with via email have been great to deal with. I haven't had anybody get rude or even cranky. I have been reading the forums, and I can see that sometimes certain people do come off as a little too agressive.

As another aside, the first real coonhunter that I met was(actually, I'm sure he still IS) an African-American. He was a great guy that spent the whole night in the clubhouse showing my wife pictures while I was out on a hunt.

I don't know who got the better education, me or her.

Edited by mikeslomka