Rude cachers

chuckr30

Several Rude Cachers.

One threatened to adjust my attitude for not letting him log an ALR cache. One steals caches in general and a few of mine in specific. That's pretty rude. One blew a gasket over a lack of communications on a problem he was having (we finally figured out it was his email, not a lack of communications), and at least one cacher can't seem to honor coin trades and it pretty rude and belligerent about it. I've also had a mod email me a pre-emptive threat regarding the sanctity of their forum after a serious answer to an honest question about why their forum had less angst than the main geocaching one.

You can get through life without being rude and still fully convey your meaning and stand your ground. Rude is entirely optional.

Yeah my cosin and friend! They took me on my first geocaching experience and as we were bushwackin through some really tall grass (over my head tall and I am 5' 10") I kinda stepped in a hole... well maybe a ditch it was like 5 or 6 feet deep and with the grass I never saw it. So in I went head first but nothing got broken and rather then ask if I was ok or help me up or something ....they LAUGHED! Then they wished they brought the camera! How rude!!! (seriously though it was pretty funny to me too..how embarrasin)

Does this include the forums? :D I'd like to think that people behave differently in the real world. My FFTF experience was a bad one, but I think that was because of my own perception problems. Other than that, everyone I have met has always been nice.

Now as far as the forums, is there a space limit per post?

It's hard to discuss this topic without getting specific but it CAN be done.

This is a valid topic and worthy of careful, guarded, discussion.

I have had several run-ins with rude/controlling cachers by email, but nothing really worth mentioning that happened in person.

Not to be sexist, but just stating a fact, in my case, around 75% or more of the rude behavior has been from women. Don't ask me why, 'cuz I haven't a clue and I'm not implying anything by it. It's just an interesting personal geocaching statistic that is completely opposite of my experiences everywhere else in life.

Most but hardly all of the rude/controlling behavior has concerned travel bugs due to unrealistic expectations and of those encounters the ones that mystify me the most are from cachers that don't even own the bug in question. Those latter folks always seem kinda creepy to me.

Some of it has been from judgmental/controlling types that never had an opinion they couldn't keep to themselves. Those ones are the most fun. :P

I had one run-in that bothered me for quite some time until I met the guy and true to character, I liked him. I never met a geocacher I didn't like, but sadly I've met a couple now that through their own actions have given me reason to dislike them.

Some folks have a disconnect between their brain and their keyboard or they have some serious problems with social skills.

Others are just plain sad and angry with world and will jump at any chance to lash out. Thankfully those types are few and far between. They usually go away when they don't get to feed off the reaction they wished to provoke. Sadly though, they are creatures of habit and sometimes return.

Okay, leaving careful & guarded territory somewhat behind. :o Didn't I say it was hard not to be specific?

There's only one encounter that stands alone. A guy that, I guess, wanted to use me to prove some sort of point to Groundspeak and complained on me and he even had the gall to send me a copy of his complaint ala "nanny nanny boo boo." He was immediately outed as a sockpuppet and I busted him in a blatant lie and he was even outed to me by his own companion just a little after the fact. The whole thing got laughed off by TPTB and I got a strange prophetic buzz over the encounter, because I had actually predicted that this person could be capable of what he tried to do (even though I had never met him and he lived close to 2,000 miles away) in an email dated almost a year earlier. Talk about having a twilight zone moment. All I gotta say is Gmail is a wonderful thing. I never delete ANY personal correspondence. CYA is one habit not worth breaking. :D:D BTW don't ask, it was almost a year ago now.....

here's only one encounter that stands alone. A guy that, I guess, wanted to use me to prove some sort of point to Groundspeak and complained on me and he even had the gall to send me a copy of his complaint ala "nanny nanny boo boo." He was immediately outed as a sockpuppet and I busted him in a blatant lie and he was even outed to me by his own companion just a little after the fact. The whole thing got laughed off by TPTB and I got a strange prophetic buzz over the encounter, because I had actually predicted that this person could be capable of what he tried to do (even though I had never met him and he lived close to 2,000 miles away) in an email dated almost a year earlier. Talk about having a twilight zone moment. All I gotta say is Gmail is a wonderful thing. I never delete ANY personal correspondence. CYA is one habit not worth breaking. bad_boy_animated.gif ph34r.gif BTW don't ask, it was almost a year ago now.....

Sorry about that. I really didn't mean anything by it.

here's only one encounter that stands alone. A guy that, I guess, wanted to use me to prove some sort of point to Groundspeak and complained on me and he even had the gall to send me a copy of his complaint ala "nanny nanny boo boo." He was immediately outed as a sockpuppet and I busted him in a blatant lie and he was even outed to me by his own companion just a little after the fact. The whole thing got laughed off by TPTB and I got a strange prophetic buzz over the encounter, because I had actually predicted that this person could be capable of what he tried to do (even though I had never met him and he lived close to 2,000 miles away) in an email dated almost a year earlier. Talk about having a twilight zone moment. All I gotta say is Gmail is a wonderful thing. I never delete ANY personal correspondence. CYA is one habit not worth breaking. bad_boy_animated.gif ph34r.gif BTW don't ask, it was almost a year ago now.....

That gave me a chuckle. Anyhoo, I think that guy is either banned (and I don't think it was over what I just mentioned) or he's keeping a very low profile. :D

Edited by Snoogans

For me, I have never had a problem with rude cachers. I don't care if I have never met the person, if I am on vacation and someone is looking for a cache we will have a conversation with each other as if we knew each other from highschool.....except less highschool talk, more caching talk.

Rude cachers......Nope

Rude Cacher Forum Posters...... :D

When I find a nice container like an ammo box, I like to take it and swap in a Gladware container. That's pretty rude. And to top it off, I complain about the lousy container in the log.

Ah! That explains the series Find Briansnat's Ammo Can!

As to rude cachers, I've probably met fifty geocachers while caching, and not one of them has been rude! (Not even the ones that I beat to FTF by a minute or less!) Rude cache owners and rude loggers are a different story. "What do you mean I actually have to sign the log? We don't do it that way where I come from." And I won't go into cachers who think that a webcam is a virtual cache!

On behalf of all forum posters, I accept your apology. :laughing:

Does this include the forums??

That is one reason that I use my real name. I think that sometimes it is too easy for people to hide behind screen names. They don't feel like they are accountable, because the chances of them running into somebody that knows who they really are is slim.

By the way, I'm certainly not accusing anybody, just stating my opinion.

That is one reason that I use my real name. I think that sometimes it is too easy for people to hide behind screen names. They don't feel like they are accountable, because the chances of them running into somebody that knows who they really are is slim.

I think you're right up to a point.

However, if you look in the profiles of some of the most highly opinionated (often precieved rude depending which side of the fence you're on) forum people, often you will find someone who regularly attends geocaching events.

In the worst of the worst, you'll find little or no event attendance.

In other forum communities that DON'T have that social aspect, you are most certainly right.

Having never met any Rude cacher face to face .

All I can say is that I have however read some rather rude log entries on cache pages ... most recently one that states because this person couldnt solve a cache puzzle ... the cache should be archived ! :laughing::D

Other then that is has been rather pleasant whenever I have meet a fellow geocacher.

I have read rather rude forum posts though ! :angry:

Star

However, if you look in the profiles of some of the most highly opinionated (often precieved rude depending which side of the fence you're on) forum people, often you will find someone who regularly attends geocaching events.

In other forum communities that DON'T have that social aspect, you are most certainly right.

I have absolutely no problem with somebody that states their opinion. In fact, I believe that everybody is entitled to their opinion. That being said, I also believe that once somebody publicly states their opinion, they don't have the right to get upset when somebody publicly disagrees with them. I do think that MOST times, this can be done in a respectful manor.

I also think that there is always going to be the "troll" aspect of internet message boards. Some people just have nothing better to do than to go somewhere and ruin somebody elses good time. Maybe that is why their is little or no event attendence for the worst offenders. Maybe they aren't really cachers, just people out to stir the pot.

In one of the coonhunting communities that I belong to, everybody is required to use their real names. I find that it is much more friendly than a lot of message boards. That being said, there are still a couple of blowhards.

In one of the coonhunting communities that I belong to, everybody is required to use their real names. I find that it is much more friendly than a lot of message boards. That being said, there are still a couple of blowhards.

:angry: I must laugh here a bit... I work around coonhunters just about everyday, and believe me, there's more than a couple blowhards in those circles. :laughing: They're a pretty decent bunch for the most part though. :D

I guess it depends on the reputation you build locally. I've had a couple of encouters with other cachers that weren't rude, but rather funny. One, while at a cache some thirty miles up into the North Cascades I met a cacher, who after introducing myself, said "You're The Jester?!? I want to talk to you!" He had a couple of GSAK questions to ask, and had heard about me from someone across the state. Two, at a Halloween party - where I dressed my name - someone came up and asked "Are you the REAL Jester?" After replying in the affirmative, he said "I hate you, I love you, I hate you, I love you, I hate you, I love you!" Seems he was having a spot of trouble with a puzzle cache of mine... So I guess not everybody can "hide" behind a screen name... :laughing:

I agree with everyone, I can't recall a rude encounter with a cacher in the flesh - mildly over the net a couple of times, though.

I've never attended an event. I've met many, many cachers though. In fact, I'm going on a cache trip tomorrow with a couple other guys that I met on FTF's. I don't think you need to necessarily attend events to be active in the geocaching community.

I started my forum career very badly. 3 or 4 suspensions later and the threat of a complete forum & GC.com ban made me re-think my approach :D But I've gotten to know some of the moderators fairly well :laughing:

For my own education, what is a coonhunter ?? I know of hunters hunting ra"coon" but does it have an other meaning ?

Thanks from a Boar hunter, a Deer hunter, a Fox hunter .... :D

:angry: No other meaning, exactly that... hunting ra"coon" ! :laughing:

I just noticed you were from France, just to clarify... it is generally accepted to shorten the word to "coon" here in the states. We also call boar hunting here, "hog" hunting and "Pig"hunting, and we have a few other names for them I can't use on the family friendly forums. :angry:

Edited by 57chevy

What he said.

By the way 57chevy, you are right, a lot of coon hunters are blow-hards. I wanted to use another word, but this is a family friendly forum.

To kind of get back to the original thread, my point was that many times, people will say things that they generally wouldn't because they feel safe and anonymous hiding behind their computer.

Again, not an indictment of anybody, just a generalization. And I am fully aware that there are exceptions to every rule.

For my own education, what is a coonhunter ?? I know of hunters hunting ra"coon" but does it have an other meaning ?

Well in the deep south of the US this can be taken as a very derogatory term to African Americans. So I wouldn't suggest going around yelling that term. :laughing:

That's exactly why I'm only rude, nasty, arrogant and condescending in the general forums. In the local forum I'm very nice.

I haven't met all that many but so far all good people. Went out with a group last weekend and wound up meeting 2 other cachers in the field, at the same cache. Everyone was extremely friendly and it was a pleasure to meet them all.

I think the very nature of geocaching kind of attracks friendly people.

I recall a big family once in a Florida state park who was pretty much shoving everyone out of the way, including muggles, and yelling back and forth to each other over long distances just to find a few caches.

Thought that was a little rude especially for the people who were at the park trying to enjoy the day. This was before I started caching myself but I knew exactly what they were doing.

I don't think you need to necessarily attend events to be active in the geocaching community.

You only chose to quote one line of my post. I chose my words very carefully in that post and THAT was NOT implied. :laughing:

I started my forum career very badly. 3 or 4 suspensions later and the threat of a complete forum & GC.com ban made me re-think my approach :D But I've gotten to know some of the moderators fairly well :angry:

Hmmmmm, in 4 years of pushing the envelope in my forum posts, I got my first real forum warning late last year. I got another maybe a month or two later and that's it so far. I've dusted it up with a couple of mods further back when the mods learning how to wield their awesome power and never did anything to warrant a suspension or outright bannination.

One of the deciding factors for my decision to attend GW3 was because so MANY of this forum's personalities were going to be there. I met them ALL. Unlike many of my local cachin' family who hardly ever post here (with the exception of Mudfrog and a couple others) I can place a face with many of the posters here having attended events in 5 states and 2 GWs. It makes this forum more personal for me and in so doing checks my behavior.

Well in the deep south of the US this can be taken as a very derogatory term to African Americans. So I wouldn't suggest going around yelling that term. :angry:

What's that all about? :laughing: I don't get why you even said that.

I don't know how deep in the south you consider Texas to be, but everyone I know here understands that coon hunting is about hunting a furry little critter and not another human being with dark skin.

I would say I would chalk up as a rude cacher.

but in the favor of proctecting our caches. I am also a rock climber and avid wieght lifter I dont take to kindly to messing with other peoples stuff. In caching its just annoying but when i'm 80ft up on a face of some cliff and some punks come by and start screwing around with your ancor its a life threating situation.

The point to my comment is that I love my fellow cachers and despise those that ruin and vandel other people's things.

Well in the deep south of the US this can be taken as a very derogatory term to African Americans. So I wouldn't suggest going around yelling that term. :angry:

What's that all about? :laughing: I don't get why you even said that.

I don't know how deep in the south you consider Texas to be, but everyone I know here understands that coon hunting is about hunting a furry little critter and not another human being with dark skin.

I'm talking like in areas of Tennessee and Georgia and places like that. Not that I don't love those states. I think they are great states with great people. Spent some great vacation days there. But some of the people are still a little bit racist. So there can be tensions between the races in certain parts.

The cachers in my area very rudely insist on holding events and informal gatherings at ungodly times, like, nine am on a Saturday, when decent people (i.e. me) are still sound asleep. Does that count?

But I get even with them. I go out after midnight and grab FTFs on newly published caches :laughing: