Mapsource query

b_storch

I just got started doing this stuff a couple of weeks ago, and used it as an excuse to buy a new GPS. (I've been wanting a nwe one anyway) At the same time I also bought a copy of Mapsource to go with it. :D However I am extremely dissatisfied with this product. It does not have nearly the level of detail that the box indicated. In fact the base map that came in my GPSr has more detail. I really feel swindled and was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems/issues with this and if so what you did about it.

It sounds like you may not have chosen the right map product for your needs.

You mention that the base map in your GPS has more detail. I'm assuming you mean details as in smaller roads and streets in your area.

If it's road and street detail you're looking for, then you want the Mapsource MetroGuide North America. It will have all the roads, streets, highways, etc. and it's designed for getting around in a car.

The Topo product you got is designed for knowing the terrain of the land. It's excellent for hiking or off-roading as it will show where there are hills, mountains, slopes, etc. etc. It will show you how steep a slope is, etc.

That's actually what I'm after, and why I am so upset. This program doesn't have any contour lines, or anything even remotely resembling a topo map. All it has is a few major highways. I bought it intending to use it for geocaching and also to mark important areas on my deer lease (such as where everyone has their stuff set up, game trails etc.) but the program is absolutely useless for this as the only detail I can find where my lease is supposed to be is a blank white area in between two roads. It doesn't even mark the cemetary down there let alone any of the terrain. That's why I was wondering if anyone else had run into this or if this was an experience unique to me.

Sounds like you might have picked up the 24K Topo's. They only show topos for National Parks. If you want country wide coverage you need the 100K topo's but of course they are only 1/4 as detailed.

Incidently the basemap does not have any topo detail on it. And you will notice that the roads are very coarsely drawn.

Are you referring to what you see on your GPSr or what you see in the mapsource software on your PC? My mapsource keeps asking for the East CD when I open the program, and sometimes I just tell it to cancel and then it only shows major roads. But this is only on the computer, not the unit itself.

Did the process of uploading maps to the unit go smoothly? Are you sure you're looking at a location for which you did upload the topo map? There are a lot of settings for how the map displays, such as how much detail you want, and even whether you want to see the topo or the basemap (at least on my Legend). You could look into those settings.

Cathy

Okay, the box says that it is the United States TOPO program. According to all the details on the back it is comparable to 1:100,00 scale USGS maps. It came with three CDs: East, West, and Alaska and Hawaii. My deer lease is found on the East CD and is in the neighborhood of N30 46.062 W94 35.463. Most of my geocacing is done in and around Houston TX so sooner or later I will have to buy a program that has all the city streets and whatnot on it, but I'm not really too worried about it right now. However, I do spend a lot of time in the Montgomery County area which is North of Houston and has plenty woods, creeks, and other types of terrain, none of which is depicted on the program. Montgomery County and Houston are both on the West CD. As far as transferring data to my GPSr I am waiting on a serial/USB adapter from RadioShack (they were sold out the other day) Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. I'm pretty good with maps and orienteering skills, but am not so great with computers so part of the problem might be me.

Open Mapsource.

Under "View", find "Switch to Product". You should see "Topo USA" or similar. Click on that. There should be a checkmark beside it afterwards.

Under "View", find "Map Detail". Choose "Highest" and click on that. There should be a checkmark beside it afterwards.

As you zoom in more detail should show up. At around "1 mile", everything should be visible. Road and topographic lines should be there.

This shot is from the online viewer.

untitled-1.jpg

Edited by Red90

The Topo map detail for Huston is on the "east" CD

The break between the East and West CDs is about 40 miles west of Huston. You do see Huston on the west CD but the TOPO detail is on the East CD.

It IS kind of flat around there! LOL Not a lot of contour lines to see!

I see 2 cemeteries within 2 miles of the cords you gave.

3 Screen Shots from Mapsource US TOPO, first with your cords...

http://www.pbase.com/td2/image/73733136

Topo West

http://www.pbase.com/td2/image/73733138

Topo East

http://www.pbase.com/td2/image/73733140

If you need better try this...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=145256

Hope that helps