Dowloading .Loc file as HTML?

Newdogg

Ok, I just bought a new computer and downloaded a .loc file. EasyGPS doesn't recognize. I check properties and says it's HTML. What am I doing wrong?

Did you install EasyGPS on your new PC, or just copy over the files?

Yes installed EasyGPS from the website Topografix

Ok, I just bought a new computer and downloaded a .loc file. EasyGPS doesn't recognize. I check properties and says it's HTML. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like right-clicking on the .loc link to force the save-as dialog, when the link actually was a page that did one of those "force a download" scripts.

Did the .loc come from GC or elsewhere?

Ok, sounds good, but how do I do this?

Depends on the browser.

In firefox/iceweasel it's Edit | Preferences | Content | File Types.

But I suspect this is not the problem since file associations in the browser are only used to tell what application to Run the downloaded content with (rather than saving). Since your files are being saved rather than being run from the "click", the browser mimetypes/associations are immaterial here.

I suspect that one of these is the real problem:

* the file being downloaded/saved is not what you think you are downloading/saving (hence my answer above)

* it's a legit .loc file, but not saved where you think you are saving it. Easy just doesn't see it.

* there are at least two kinds of geo-related .loc files; one binary format (topographix) and one XML format (GC). Older versions of Easy may he confused by the XML files, as may the Properties dialog

Here is how to find out what is going on (pick one or more, depending on how much you desire a useful answer):

1. Share with us where the .loc is downloaded from so we can test.

2. Share with us the name of the file you are trying to open. A screenshot would be nice.

3. Share with us what you mean when you say "EasyGPS doesn't recognize".