Palm questions

dwayne23

Depending on what you want to do with the Palm. What applications you want to run. For Geocaching you can run Cachemate on a Palm with as little as 2 megs of RAM and a black and white display. As far as Serial or USB that will depend on your PC. Many new laptops don't come with a serial port, but there are USB to Serial adaptors that will allow you to connect a serial device to a USB port.

I looking to go paperless and I have been reading a lot of things. I am also looking at getting an explorest 500. I have 300 dollars to send on a GPS and software and that looks to be the better way. The Palm will help in keeping up with my caches. I will leave and go somewhere will have my GPS but forget the paper.

Depending on what you want to do with the Palm. What applications you want to run. For Geocaching you can run Cachemate on a Palm with as little as 2 megs of RAM and a black and white display. As far as Serial or USB that will depend on your PC. Many new laptops don't come with a serial port, but there are USB to Serial adaptors that will allow you to connect a serial device to a USB port.
It's possible to get by with 2MB but you'll be severely limiting what you can upload. I would try get at least 16MB of memory. Make sure that get one that you can read it in sunlight. A lot of the cheap color ones are almost impossible to read in the sun. Color only matters if you are also going to use your Palm to play games or look at photos. If you do that increase the memory requirements even more.

Ok!! I am going to look and see what I can get. Thanks to you all. Does it matter what windows (XP) I am running.

Does your computer have a serial port? I and others have had problems getting the USB to serial adapters to work well. I ended up installing a low cost add on card with serial port so I could have my GPS and my Palm hooked up at the same time. :drama:

Windows version doesn't matter, connection might. If your PC has a serial port, then any Palm will work. If not, then you'll need a USB/serial adapter for an older Palm that uses a serial cable. They're available, and cheap. A serial card for the PC would probably be cheaper, though. If it's a laptop, then an adapter is the cheapest way to go. You can get a PCMCIA card with a serial port on it, but they're pricey.

I have the Explorist 600 and just purchased a Palm Tungsten E2. I run my pocket queries and save my cache pages using Mobipocket and read the query as an e-book. The E2 was $149 after rebate at Circuit City.com, the cheapest I could find for this unit. My other choice was the Palm Zire 72. The E2 seems to be working very well for what I need, and aside from a slight connectivity issue with my Ex600, that has been a good investment as well.

Hope this helps.