Fun with Satellites

mudsneaker

To make it work you drag your mouse across the applet, and release satellites. The direction and speed of release determine the direction and speed of initial motion.

For extra credit--see how long you can keep one in lunar orbit!

(Hint--lower orbits are less affected by lunar gravity...)

Dave_W6DPS

Geek, and proud of it!

In my years of playing with this toy I've realized that stable orbits are overrated. Get on that whips in a nice wide ellipses and you can keep it going for a long time.

Also, if you notice, every time you click the moon sorta jerks (you'll really notice it if you click and hold..when you release the moon will have moved but the satellites won't). Every time you do this you screw up your orbits a little bit.

Still, it's a lot of fun. Cool to release them and then come back to it later and see what's happening in your little world.

Bret

It's really cool to see this toy brought up again. With all the drama that we get into in these forums from time-to-time it's really neat to see that some things stay the same...we're the same bunch of techno-geeks that we were back in 2002 when we first started playing with this.

Hey, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't geocaching involve the use of GPS satellites?

Bret

A really cool tracking site is this real-time view from space.

Set the view to Hybrid and zoom in maybe 4 times and take a virtual tour of the planet!

dang, thought it was going to pass overhead for awhile, but now can see its headed wayy south. to bad, I wanted to wave. :D

and at about 11 hrs the last of my satellites burned up in the atmosphere. time to launch a new cluster.

I wish the square was bigger, I have 2 that are outside of the moon's orbit and I can only see them as they pass through the corners

I've got three in what I refer to as a 'Haley's Comet' orbit. They only pass through about once a month, assuming one revolution of the moon is a month. I'd like to see more screen, too, and maybe enough screen to include the sun and it's gravitational effect.

So how long can you keep a satellite in orbit?

Have Fun!

I had a few stay up for nearly 24 hours before. I just left the window minimized and checked in once in awhile.

Going on two hours of keeping a satelite going. Had to adjust my power options on my computer so I can let it run all night. Will see what happens by morning.

I've got one with a really cool elliptical orbit around the moon. It makes a really close pass by the moon, swings between the moon and the earth, and outside the square. It slows down and starts swinging back towards the earth, where the moon passes by, catches it, and swings it back outside the square. It's been going for about 5 min now, but the orbit is never the same. It'll crash soon for sure (or get tossed so much it leaves entirely).

Well much to my surprise I woke up this morning to see that it is still going. It seems rather stable and I am no where near the moon so the gravitational pull is not effected. The actual satellite only rotates no farther than 1.5" from the earth, of course the closet it gets is around .25".

I am sure that it will last well past the 24 hour mark.

Edited by Damenace

Just lost the last one of a huge amount I launched at the same time yesterday. Made it 22 hours.

I notice that the ones going clockwise seem to last longer. It might just be I launch better that way, I dont know. Is that something anyone else is having too?

Edited by mudsneaker

Well much to my surprise I woke up this morning to see that it is still going. It seems rather stable and I am no where near the moon so the gravitational pull is not effected. The actual satellite only rotates no farther than 1.5" from the earth, of course the closet it gets is around .25".

I am sure that it will last well past the 24 hour mark.

Show off.

I would imagine that clockwise would be the best revolution pattern for this simulation. I've tried running them counter clockwise, but even when they're close to the earth, the moon grabs them and pulls them farther and farther away. The ones I have in clockwise orbit move between more circular patterns and more elliptical patterns.

I've got 10 out that have been going for a few hours now. The ones I released last night around 11 scorched some peasants sometime in the overnight hours.