Who has worked directly with a Mint

sethsdad

I believe most of the "suggested" geocoin makers are third parties to overseas mints. Has anyone worked directly with a mint instead of a third party? If so what was your experience like? Any mints that you would suggest?

Sorry if this has been asked, it wasn't easy to narrow a search on a "mint" question.

Thanks

I have heard of one person who has, and was forwarded the info, but never attempted it myself. Hopefully you'll hear from the same person.

BTW, it's not me.

I did once before I became one of those third party folks. If you're going to do it there are a lot of risks. One is that there are a lot of hidden costs that aren't charged by the mint. You'll get a bill from FedEx or USPS or someone for some unreal value for what you received month prior with no way to get money to cover it. You also need to make sure that your artwork is spot on. Revising artwork with someone who's native toungue is not your own is a very daunting task. Shipping is a real pain if you're planning to sell them. Oh, and you'll need to find a good, reliable way to pay for the coins. Credit card is probably the easiest, but worst way to handle that, if they can take it. I wouldn't try to send money overseas myself with my experience with international money transfers, but your mileage may vary.

It's not necessarily cheaper to do it yourself. You might have fun getting into the nitty gritty of International Commerce. Good luck if you do try it.

When I did the Buffalo Wings V1 and Team Sand Dollar V1 coins I worked with a mint directly in Korea. This was the same one that did the original coins for MIGO and before Rusty started personalgeocoins. Rusty just gave me the contact information, a little direction and I stumbled along on my own.

Yes it probally saved me a little money, about $200 on 300 coins, but it really wasn't worth it and now I use a Rusty for all the new coins. Plus these were done without tracking numbers and icons that generate thier own set of problems.

Bottom line is I find it much easier to use the middleman as they have the contacts, plus may use different mints for different coins.

Team Sand Dollar

Forgot to add that additional coins cost about the same either way.

Edited by Team Sand Dollar

I've dealt directly with the mint on two coins now. It is much more leg work than using a third party but there's a significant savings to be had. I wouldn't recommend going direct unless you have done several coins first with a third party and know the process very well.

When I had my personal coins made, I worked directly with Northwest Territorial Mint, here in Washington. They were great! I got a tour of the plant and everything. I would use them again for my v2 coin (not announcing anything -- just looking forward to it one day!!), and I would highly recommend them. Feel free to email me with any questions....

When I had my personal coins made, I worked directly with Northwest Territorial Mint, here in Washington. They were great! I got a tour of the plant and everything. I would use them again for my v2 coin (not announcing anything -- just looking forward to it one day!!), and I would highly recommend them. Feel free to email me with any questions....

I had no idea there was a mint here! I'd think they'd be a lot more expensive than the ones overseas though. Do they do trackable geocoins? I don't see anything on their webpage about geocoins.

I might be wrong, but I was thinking the last couple Alaska geocoins have been done by the Alaska mint. Which apperently does its own actual 'minting'.

That's correct. GeocacheAlaska! and the Alaska Mint teamed up for the 2005 and 2006 Alaska geocoin editions and we'll be doing it again in 2007.

The Alaska Mint is more expensive than overseas mints, but the die making is done domestically and minting (struck instead of cast) is done in Anchorage. They can engrave the coins to make them gc.com trackable. They also work with solid silver and add gold relief.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

I might be wrong, but I was thinking the last couple Alaska geocoins have been done by the Alaska mint. Which apperently does its own actual 'minting'.

That's correct. GeocacheAlaska! and the Alaska Mint teamed up for the 2005 and 2006 Alaska geocoin editions and we'll be doing it again in 2007.

The Alaska Mint is more expensive than overseas mints, but the die making is done domestically and minting (struck instead of cast) is done in Anchorage. They can engrave the coins to make them gc.com trackable. They also work with solid silver and add gold relief.

And they look GREAT!

To clarify, most geocoins I've seen are copper or iron based and are die-struck. The Alaska mint is not unique on this point.

Funny side note - all of my coins that are made in China come through Alaska :) And sometimes they spend a little extra time there :laughing:

I had no idea there was a mint here! I'd think they'd be a lot more expensive than the ones overseas though. Do they do trackable geocoins? I don't see anything on their webpage about geocoins.

Yes, they do trackable coins. Mine are trackable at gc.com. They don't have a deal like other minters, where you can buy as many or as few tracking numbers as you want. I had to buy 500 tracking numbers and then give them to NWTM.

Yes, they are probably more expensive than other minters. I knew exactly what I wanted when I was pricing my personal coin. I went to several minters for quotes. I was told by everybody (except NWTM) that they couldn't do exactly what I wanted, and I'd have to change my design for them to be able to do it. NWTM said no problem, and I have a beautiful coin. Worth it in the end, IMO.

Yes, they do trackable coins. Mine are trackable at gc.com. They don't have a deal like other minters, where you can buy as many or as few tracking numbers as you want. I had to buy 500 tracking numbers and then give them to NWTM.

Yes, they are probably more expensive than other minters. I knew exactly what I wanted when I was pricing my personal coin. I went to several minters for quotes. I was told by everybody (except NWTM) that they couldn't do exactly what I wanted, and I'd have to change my design for them to be able to do it. NWTM said no problem, and I have a beautiful coin. Worth it in the end, IMO.

I dont know why any of the other minters couldnt of done your coin without changing it. although im not a minter, my only guess would be the side with the paint brush would need to be 3d and cost more.

also, I think but am not positive that NWTM also did the Greenman coin and possibly also the joy of geocaching coins. although the jog coins look a whole lot like the ca 2004 coins which were done by pressedmetal in canada.

I dont know why any of the other minters couldnt of done your coin without changing it. although im not a minter, my only guess would be the side with the paint brush would need to be 3d and cost more.

also, I think but am not positive that NWTM also did the Greenman coin and possibly also the joy of geocaching coins. although the jog coins look a whole lot like the ca 2004 coins which were done by pressedmetal in canada.

Yes, NWTM did the Greenman. I don't know about the Joy of Geocaching....

My paintbrush and palette *are* in 3D. That wasn't the issue. Coins And Pins, for example, couldn't do the reed edge as nicely as NWTM could. I sent them a Greenman as a sample, and they let me know they couldn't do it. Also, they wanted me to change the paintbrush side so that the entire thing was in a matte finish, and the paintbrush & palette were shiny. It wasn't the look I was going for, so I decided to pass.

My paintbrush and palette *are* in 3D. That wasn't the issue. Coins And Pins, for example, couldn't do the reed edge as nicely as NWTM could. I sent them a Greenman as a sample, and they let me know they couldn't do it. Also, they wanted me to change the paintbrush side so that the entire thing was in a matte finish, and the paintbrush & palette were shiny. It wasn't the look I was going for, so I decided to pass.

779.gif781.gif

see what i get for looking at a pic instead of the coin itself. (which i have 2 diff metals of)

it is more aparent in the copper pic that its 3d. NWTM did a great job.

Edited by Nero

Some clarification here:

Chirsgun was looking for a "proof" like coin. That means a coin that looks like it has a flawless, smooth, mirrored background with frosted highlights (like the Greenman). This is a process CoinsAndPins does not do except on solid precious metal coins. Chrisgun's coin style was much better suited for a mint like NWTM (which there are only a few select mints in the world that do this type of process). There is a big style difference between logo type coins and proof coins, along with the price difference.

Thank you.