Using Mapsource on an Apple Dual Core

The new dual core computers from Apple offer the possibility of dual boot. The user can boot in either Mac OSX or Windows XP. Of course, under Windows XP one can load any Windows program and run it as from a regular PC (or so says Apple).

Since Garmin doesn't have anything (well... almost) that works under Mac OSX I was wondering if anyone tried to install Mapsource and run it under the XP environment on an Apple. Does it work? Any problems with it? Is your GPS recognized by the system when you plug it in? Can you upload maps?

This is also important from another point of view. Assuming that Garmin comes tomorrow with a new Mapsource version for OSX this means that I would still have to invest money in new maps, which are not that cheap anyway (the Windows versions that we all have now won't work on a MacIntosh). That's why I would prefer to install Mapsource along with the existing maps under XP and transfer them onto my GPS.

Thanks,

Lawrence

The new dual core computers from Apple offer the possibility of dual boot. The user can boot in either Mac OSX or Windows XP. Of course, under Windows XP one can load any Windows program and run it as from a regular PC (or so says Apple).

Since Garmin doesn't have anything (well... almost) that works under Mac OSX I was wondering if anyone tried to install Mapsource and run it under the XP environment on an Apple. Does it work? Any problems with it? Is your GPS recognized by the system when you plug it in? Can you upload maps?

This is also important from another point of view. Assuming that Garmin comes tomorrow with a new Mapsource version for OSX this means that I would still have to invest money in new maps, which are not that cheap anyway (the Windows versions that we all have now won't work on a MacIntosh). That's why I would prefer to install Mapsource along with the existing maps under XP and transfer them onto my GPS.

Thanks,

Lawrence

Yes, It should run under any of the Intel based macs under Windows XP. I've had no problems so far.

No problem. The Paralells software allowes you to run Windoze right along side OS X, Best $79 I ever spent on software.

Are you able to get the Mac to recognize your GPSr with Parallels? I can run Mapsource without any difficulty, but can only get the USB connection to work if I boot into Windows via Boot Camp.

Am I missing something? It would be great to use just Parallels...