New Mapsource icons

GeoBobC

Version 6.12 has new icons for contacts, geocache, hunting, etc.

My question: what value are these since the icons can't be loaded to my 60cx (or can they)? If I update a waypoint with a new icon in Mapsource and load the waypoint to my GPS, the icon doesn't load because the unit doesn't have the full list of icons that Mapsource does.

Am I missing something?

One might ask that same question about many of the 500 icons available in Mapsource. No single Garmin receiver supports all of them and Mapsource doesn't know what is and isn't supported by any receiver.

Therefore, it seems safe to deduce that there is a firmware update for existing units that adds these icons or that they're for new units. It's beta, so it's understandable that some pieces of the puzzle are visible before others.

Maybe they'll be releasing a firmware update to that will allow mutiple icon types in the geocaching mode.

So it seems like the answer is "Nobody really knows." is this right?

If so, when GSAK asks me what symbols are supported by my new 60Cx, what do I select and what happens if I get them wrong?

Version 6.12 has new icons for contacts, geocache, hunting, etc.

My question: what value are these since the icons can't be loaded to my 60cx (or can they)? If I update a waypoint with a new icon in Mapsource and load the waypoint to my GPS, the icon doesn't load because the unit doesn't have the full list of icons that Mapsource does.

You can pick and choose the new icons in Mapsource that you want to use on your GPSr and make them Custom Icons in your GPSr. This way the new icon you are using in the new v6.12 of Mapsource will appear on you GPSr. I haven't done it with the new Mapsource Icons yet, but I have made some Custom Icons from scratch (that show up the same in Mapsource and on my 60CSx) and the procedure is the same, except for the fact that you wouldn't have to make your own drawing to create the icon, since Mapsource/Garmin has already made it for you.

I called Garmin Customer support and asked if the new icons would be added to unit software updates. I was told that it is unlikely to happen. Normally such an update would be with a new product.

I encourage folks to go to the Garmin customer support page and e-mail Garmin asking that the new icons be added to a software update for units still being sold at retail. There are a lot of loyal Garmin customers out there that would appricate the update without buying a new unit.

Be nice :cool:

I called Garmin Customer support and asked if the new icons would be added to unit software updates. I was told that it is unlikely to happen. Normally such an update would be with a new product.

I encourage folks to go to the Garmin customer support page and e-mail Garmin asking that the new icons be added to a software update for units still being sold at retail. There are a lot of loyal Garmin customers out there that would appricate the update without buying a new unit.

Be nice :blink:

Here's what I just submitted (I do this about once a month)

Requests:

1. mapsource 6.12.0.2 Beta now has several icons for geocaching. Will there be a future update to the 60cx (and other) lines to allow these icons to be used for the cache types on the GPSr? This would be incredibly useful.

2. Request for a better geocaching mode. It would be great to have a geocaching mode that has better icons for different cache types, and actually be able to understand pocket queries from geocaching.com. Ideally all the information from the pocket query would be available (cache type, hints, history, notes, and previous 5 finder comments).

3. Use the external memory to allow this cache data to be stored. Ideally being able to create dirs to strucutre multiple cache types would be GREAT (ie I have a folder and/or a file(s) for work, home, etc).

4. Is there any hope of more recent topo maps?

5. Ability to upload tracklogs from garmin gps's to a garmin site to be used to generate maps. I expect that this can be mostly automated, as there are lots of good how-to's to do your own maps from tracklogs and USGS maps. Maybe offer it as a subscription service?

5. Easier method to toggle between CN8 and topo maps. I use my 60cx to navigate to the cache following roads, then I tell it to recalc and offroad once I've parked. Being able to select the topo map quickly would be nice. Also, an indication of which map is active would be really nice.

6. Three axis compass. I opted out of the CSX when I heard it was the standard 2 axis model. Based off the reports I've seen, this was a wise choice. I noticed that the Astro system has one. Is there plans on a 60csx replacement with a 3 axis compass? I don't need the dog tracking stuff.

"..except for the fact that you wouldn't have to make your own drawing to create the icon, since Mapsource/Garmin has already made it for you.

Where are these new icons located on my PC?

Well GeoBobC it looks like I'm wrong and it can't be done the way I had in mind. After doing a thorough search in the Garmin folders the Waypoint Symbols are not to be found as bitmaps. I talked to Garmin's Technical Support / PC Support personnel for 20 minutes today. They tried to locate the files with the Waypoint Symbols in them and they concluded that they are in .dll or .cad files that can't be accessed to get the image drawing. They suggested that I email "Tech Support - Engineering Manager" making my request; so I did. The following letter is what I said, I thought you might like to see it. Maybe if enough people request it maybe Garmin will update some software to enable us to use the new Waypoint Symbols that will continue to come out in new versions of Mapsource, who knows.

Dear Tech Support Engineering Manager:

I would like to be able to use some of the new Waypoint Symbols that Mapsource

beta v6.12.0.2 has in it but my 60CSx does not recognize them. I realize that

Garmin does not support beta versions, but this request really applies to all

versions of Mapsource and not just the beta version. There are Waypoint Symbols

in various versions of Mapsource that won't download to the GPSr and therefore

the GPSr displays the default symbol. I am familiar with (making Custom

Waypoint Symbols) the fact that if the symbol's resolution or pixel count is not

compatible with the GPSr that the symbol won't display. I don't find the pixel

count to be a problem since there are numerous graphic software programs that

are available to change the pixel count to the 16x16 or 24x24 required for a

60CSx.

Not knowing how the Mapsource software is written (I'm not asking for

proprietary information) I can only ask if there are a few possibilities that

could be done by Garmin that would allow us end users of recently purchased

Garmin GPSs to be able to use some of the new Waypoint Symbols that keep coming

out in updated versions of Mapsource? I don't see much point of going to the

time and expense of creating new Waypoint Symbol images and writing them in

Mapsource's software if only a small percentage of the GPSs will recognize them.

I ask, could any of the items I've listed below be feasible options to achieve

this.

1. Could a patch be written that would allow Ximage to take the new Mapsource

Symbols and use these new symbols to create a Custom Waypoint that could be

loaded in the GPSr as a Custom Waypoint?

2. Update the software for the GPSr that would recognize new Waypoint Symbols

in Mapsource?

3. For Garmin to create a download site that would contain all available

compatible Waypoint Symbols by GPSr unit and have a unit software update that

would allow for this download of Waypoint Symbols directly to the GPSr?

4. At a minimum, for Garmin to create a download site listing all available

Waypoint Symbols as different downloadable bitmap files so an individual could

create a Custom Waypoint using the bitmap file, themselves?

I am sure there are other possible ways of achieving this, but these were just a

few that came to mind. I realize some of these ideas may be prohibitive because

of the time and expense required due to the fact that Garmin has so many GPSr

units that run different software, but maybe some feasible method could be

provided.

Garmin's Customer Support is getting the reputation world wide of being the

best, and not just being good but bordering on being outstanding. In all my

conversations that ever include GPSr units the first thing that is always

mentioned is that Garmin has the best Customer Support. This type of support is

priceless from a sales and marketing perspective. Any additional software

enhancements that Garmin can provide to end users is just another feather in

Garmin's Sale's arsenal.

I would appreciate your thoughts concerning this request and the possibility of

how Gamin could implement a workable solution. If I have completely missed

something that already exist that would allow me to use these new Waypoint

Symbols in my 60CSx, please advise me. Thank You.

Edited by eaparks

Thanks, eaparks, for sending that request to Garmin. I'll look forward to their response.

In the meantime, I've been using a work-around to get access to the new icons so I can use them as custom POIs. It's a kludge but it works: In MapSource, display a waypoint's (any waypoint's) properties; click the down arrow to the right of the Symbol field to display the scrolling list of icons; scroll to the icon you want to use; then take a screen snapshot of the window. Save the result, then use a graphics program to crop it down to 16x16 or 24x24. It's not real convenient, but it seems to work.

--Larry