Found a Cache on accident!

nytrostarss

So me and my girlfriend spent the weekend up in the Angeles Oaks area in So. Cal. this past weekend and did some hiking and caching, We then took a drive yesterday up to the top of some of the local mountains and we stopped at a turnout, i figured it would be a nice view and it was, as i stood there i looked around over the guardrail and spotted a small film canister hanging on a branch off the side of the turn out, my "geo senses" must have been at full speed ahead!

inside the canister was a tag that said GZ with its coordinates, no log or anything else, i put a note inside and logged i was there but the cache hasnt been listed yet, anything like this ever happen to you?

i posted a link to the pic here..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/nyt...identalfind.jpg

That's why there were only coordinates and you haven't seen a cache listed at that spot. A multi cache is a series of containers (or other objects) that provide the coordinates for the next stage.

Because the one you found said GZ and coordinates, it was likely pointing to the final stage with the actual cache container.

So me and my girlfriend spent the weekend up in the Angeles Oaks area in So. Cal. this past weekend and did some hiking and caching, We then took a drive yesterday up to the top of some of the local mountains and we stopped at a turnout, i figured it would be a nice view and it was, as i stood there i looked around over the guardrail and spotted a small film canister hanging on a branch off the side of the turn out, my "geo senses" must have been at full speed ahead!

inside the canister was a tag that said GZ with its coordinates, no log or anything else, i put a note inside and logged i was there but the cache hasnt been listed yet, anything like this ever happen to you?

2b896ebf-6e68-424d-bc63-9045a886644e.jpg

Near as I can tell, you found waypoint two of this cache. Good job. Shorting multi's is one of my favorite parts of the game. Were you in the area of 34.1706 / -116.8868?

-WR

anything like this ever happen to you?

Walking through a small nature park, standing on a bridge, my wife says, "What's that thing over there under the tree?" Looked a lot like a Tupperware container. It was.

Driving along an Interstate in Pennsylvania I pull off at a nondescript exit for a short rest. I see a tree all by itself about 200 feet into a field. I think, "That would be a good spot for a cache." It was!

I've never stumbled on a cache but we just had someone stumble on one of ours last week. He actually read the Stash Note and logged on to Geocaching.com. Here is what he logged:

"I found this cache by accident. My company has the contract to remove litter from the park. During one of our early morning clean-ups I removed the "container" from where it was resting, placed it in a trash bucket, continued cleaning the area, walked back to the parking lot where the large trash cans are located, and proceeded to throw away all of the contents of my bucket. I then realized that the object I had picked up was not an item that should be thrown away. I opened it and read the contents. Very cool! I had never heard of Geocaching and obviously was not aware of what I had found. I am/was a true Muggle. The item is back in the place that I found it. After visiting this web site, I am truly interested in this sport/hobby. Thanks"

We are extremely happy that he returned our cache and that we may have introduced someone new to the game.

My wife and I were bushwacking to a difficult to get to cache. As I stepped over a log and saw a large ammo can and said "Here it is". She looked and the GPS and told me it was supposed to be a couple of hundred feet more. We opened it up and it had the GCID on the log so we signed the log and went on to the other cache. When we got home to log it we found that it was the final location of an 8 stage multi. That was a real surprise to find one in that rough of terrain in the middle of nowhere.

My girlfriend has a jogging route near her school. She noticed about a week ago a new snow reflector. We had done a similar cache a while back so she just pried that reflector open and bingo a log sheet. If she wasn't on winter break a few weeks earlier, she could have been FTF for the cache.

Few weeks ago while heading back to the car I took a different path to be different. seems the path ended at the river and except for some dense bush-waking this was not getting me to my car. I back tracked part way and then went up a steep incline to get back to the trail I came in on. Stepped around a tree to discover a Tupperware type box. Opened it up and found a soggy log book with the last entry being 1 1/2 years ago.

Recorded the cord and cache name. Check on the web and found it had been archived. Thought the location was good and after some checking found it met the rules for a new location. I incorporated the original name and moved it slightly (to give some of the original finders a challenge). New container and new swag and it was just published today. When I place the new container I removed the old one and CITO it as the swag was crap, the log book wet and moldy and the contailer cracked (guess we know why it was wet).

My first hide too.

I was looking for a cache about a month ago that's a micro in/near a pine tree that's part of a series (Six in the City in York, PA, GCVM37 in particular) . As I started rooting around in the needles/brush at the base of the tree, I uncovered a 6 x 6 tupperware container. It said "Sweet Shop" on the lid and had the coordinates on it and the geocaching.com web site listed. I didn't really think anything about it and signed the log, which had one other signature on it, and rehid it. I was on my way home from a day of caching, so I stopped by another one in this series, since it was along my route home. I read the cache page and it said this one had been muggled a couple times and that the container is now like the others in the series, only a smaller version. Well, this one is about a 1/2" diameter tube - that kinda got me thinking about it. I went home and emailed the cache owner and asked about the first one I'd found and they didn't know anything about that one. I went back in the next morning and took pics of it and showed the owner, but they still didn't know anything about it. I checked all over this site for any reference I could find to it, but found nothing. It's still a mystery to me - I guess the next step is to contact the reviewers for this area and see if they can tell me anything, like maybe one that was placed but never approved.

I was looking for a cache about a month ago that's a micro in/near a pine tree that's part of a series (Six in the City in York, PA, GCVM37 in particular) . As I started rooting around in the needles/brush at the base of the tree, I uncovered a 6 x 6 tupperware container. It said "Sweet Shop" on the lid and had the coordinates on it and the geocaching.com web site listed. I didn't really think anything about it and signed the log, which had one other signature on it, and rehid it. I was on my way home from a day of caching, so I stopped by another one in this series, since it was along my route home. I read the cache page and it said this one had been muggled a couple times and that the container is now like the others in the series, only a smaller version. Well, this one is about a 1/2" diameter tube - that kinda got me thinking about it. I went home and emailed the cache owner and asked about the first one I'd found and they didn't know anything about that one. I went back in the next morning and took pics of it and showed the owner, but they still didn't know anything about it. I checked all over this site for any reference I could find to it, but found nothing. It's still a mystery to me - I guess the next step is to contact the reviewers for this area and see if they can tell me anything, like maybe one that was placed but never approved.

Do you recall the name of the first cacher to find it? Maybe check through their found logs. Just a thought.

anything like this ever happen to you?

Walking through a small nature park, standing on a bridge, my wife says, "What's that thing over there under the tree?" Looked a lot like a Tupperware container. It was.

Driving along an Interstate in Pennsylvania I pull off at a nondescript exit for a short rest. I see a tree all by itself about 200 feet into a field. I think, "That would be a good spot for a cache." It was!

Hey that was my cache! GCRJ5Y

Edit to stay OT. I've never stumbled upon a cache, but have stumbled upon a letterbox, but I knew it was in the area.

Edited by Guyute1210

The only cache I've ever found was by accident, in September 2004. I was backpacking over Frigid Air Pass in the Maroon Bells - Snowmass Wilderness, dropped my pack and headed west to a highpoint. The highpoint was at a triple-point for three basins, about 12,600 feet. Tucked into a small cairn was a Tupperware box. From the log it had been there ~3 months. I was the first to sign the log.

I've subsequently enter those coordinates and I can find no record of the cache. I'd have to check the EXIF data on my photos for the exact date and time.

Hermit

No fair - I had to look for that one. It was a nice multi that we enjoyed. We did it in summer though, so no ice. (It's supposed to be 60 degrees in Angele Oaks today-and 80 down here - ten miles away)

I haven't found any caches purely by accident, but early in my caching career, I did find a cache when I made a mistake entering coordinates into the GPSr. It just wasn't the cache I was originally seeking. The wrong coordinates put me close enough to find the other cache. It took a few days before I figured out why all the hints and descriptions didn't match the cache I found.

Well, here is a story of a local geogod finding my cache before it was published. In its original setup you had to find three travel bugs and get info from each to locate the cache. I had a to be published date from the reviewer and went out the day before to scatter the bugs (minimum distance apart was 15 miles). I made my great circle route and returned home to enter the placement of the TB's. The log of the finder is below.

Jeo was here

Mc5 and I were feeling like a hike so we decided to go on a Rad Trip and do some cache maintenence on "Red White and Blue" and "Road Trip". While there we stumbled across the first of the three bugs. I didn't recognize it or the cache it was refering to but wrote down the numbers anyway "Just in case". Then headed up the hill for a new cache "Gold Bug". Hey What's this a second mysterious TB??? The plot thickens, am I that far out of the loop or am I just getting lucky? Made a quick phone call to find out where the third TB was. Found out it was down in my area but also found out that there wasn't a cache yet hhmmm The gravy thickens Made a quick trip to get the rest of the info and hopefully find the mysterious cache. On approach to the final location I made a guess from about 100 feet away and I was right Mc5 hates it when I do that. Cool there's still an RC car and we were WooHoo FTF! Took the car and dropped off a 915LM garage door open/close indicator light (I'm glad I brought the work truck). Then when we got home still couldn't find the cache online and found out that it hadn't been approved yet. Cool found a cache before approval, reminds me of the good ol days when we could lurk around the not approved caches. Sometimes it pays to be lucky.

Thanks for a great and well setup cache.

I was wondering about that just today.

Did it have a stamp? Maybe it was a letterbox. :blink: