Garmin 60/eTrex Series $50 Rebate Offer

kh12

I have received a card informing me of the wonderfully delightful news that I have been denied my $50 rebate because, according to the wonderful folks at Garmin, the UPC is “invalid” BS! I mailed in EVERYTHING as requested and required! I.e. the completed rebate coupon, the original UPC bar code cut from the product box, along with the original dated and itemized receipt.

I still have the box that the GPSMAP 60CSx came in and have saved everything – except of course the 60CSx’s UPC code – which was cut off the product box. The $50 rebate was the reason I decided to go ahead and buy the Garmin 60CSx unit. I am currently in the process of trying to get a hold of anyone at www.rebatestatus.com, Garmin and elsewhere who can help me with this rebate offer scam.

Needless to say I am not a happy camper (putting it exceptionally mildly) and should Garmin fail to fulfill its rebate obligation with this customer the 60CSx will be the last thing from Garmin that I ever buy from this wonderful outfit!

:D

ALWAYS MAKE A COPY OF EVERYTHING THAT YOU SEND IN FOR REBATE!

I was denied a legitimate rebate one time. I contacted them, let them know I was less than happy, and told them I had a copy of everything and they backed-down and processed the rebate. They never asked for any copies of anything. That was a long time ago and I had a phone number to call.

I think the scam part is an employee at the rebate center is trying to get over on the system. If they process 1,000 rebate claims, and deny 10 of them, then that's $500 to them. So, a small 1% will be denied, and maybe half of those will follow-up.

But if you don't have copies of your rebate materials, then you don't really have a leg to stand on. Good luck to you...

Garmin likely outsources their rebate fulfillement to another company. Those companies are not always on the up and up. We recently did a Lowes rebate (we like Lowes) and that company sent back our rejection. My wife had kept a copy and re-sent everthing they requested, which was exactly what we sent the first time. This time we got our rebate. Some of those companies get to keep some or all of the non fulfilled rebates. That strikes me as a conflict of interest.

Personally I think rebates are evil and avoid them. I'll pass over a great deal with a rebate for a good deal without one.

I have received a card informing me of the wonderfully delightful news that I have been denied my $50 rebate because, according to the wonderful folks at Garmin, the UPC is “invalid” BS! I mailed in EVERYTHING as requested and required! I.e. the completed rebate coupon, the original UPC bar code cut from the product box, along with the original dated and itemized receipt.

Should be simple enough to re-send a copy of the info you correctly submitted.

Note that there can be more than one barcode on a given box, and not every barcode is a upc. When the rebate asks for a UPC I send all visible barcodes.

I know I should have made a copy of everything and usually do. I guess in my post-holidays stupor I got lazy. At least I ended up getting about $100 more for my old 60C than I thought I would on ebay!

I 've been a Garmin customer for 8 years and annoying rebate experience aside, I still think they're the best in the business.

I know I should have made a copy of everything and usually do. I guess in my post-holidays stupor I got lazy. At least I ended up getting about $100 more for my old 60C than I thought I would on ebay!

Of course, a copy of the proof-of-purchase or receipt isn't valid. After you've sent the originals in the first time you no longer have the valid documents to fulfill the rebate requirements. Glad I haven't been burned on one yet...but everyone is, eventually.

The happy ending – after much contacting and correspondence Garmin has persuaded the rebate group to issue the rebate. That’s terrific. This situation should not have been an exercise in frustration and teeth pulling yet it was. The rebate people must count on folks not following up or raising H when they muck around with the rebate.

For the record I mailed in (and photocopied) –the completed rebate form, - included the original UPC barcode cut off the box. My box only had 1 (one) UPC code, so with that one mailed in and out of my hands I am SOL without it as photocopies of the UPC code are not accepted. Lastly, I included the original receipt with the 60CSx the only item. ALL requirements for the rebate were met and fulfilled as instructed on the rebate form. This should have been processed without incident or fuss.

The happy ending – after much contacting and correspondence Garmin has persuaded the rebate group to issue the rebate. That’s terrific. This situation should not have been an exercise in frustration and teeth pulling yet it was. The rebate people must count on folks not following up or raising H when they muck around with the rebate.

For the record I mailed in (and photocopied) –the completed rebate form, - included the original UPC barcode cut off the box. My box only had 1 (one) UPC code, so with that one mailed in and out of my hands I am SOL without it as photocopies of the UPC code are not accepted. Lastly, I included the original receipt with the 60CSx the only item. ALL requirements for the rebate were met and fulfilled as instructed on the rebate form. This should have been processed without incident or fuss.

Glad to hear Garmin has come through again. To bad more companies don't follow Garmin's Customer Service Policies. No telling how much business Garmin gets just because of their excellent Customer Service, it's worth paying a little more for this type of service. Sounds like I need to research Garmin; might be a company worth investing in for the long haul. Glad all eventually worked out well for you on your rebate.

Of course, a copy of the proof-of-purchase or receipt isn't valid. After you've sent the originals in the first time you no longer have the valid documents to fulfill the rebate requirements. Glad I haven't been burned on one yet...but everyone is, eventually.

It's not valid for submitting a rebate, but it does give you a legal leg to stand on when the rebate firm denies your claim. When you tell them you have copies of everything, they're gonna back-down on their denial every time. Of course it helps to actually have the copies in your posession in case they ask for them.

The happy ending – after much contacting and correspondence Garmin has persuaded the rebate group to issue the rebate. That’s terrific.

Glad to hear Garmin came through for you! Somehow I knew they would. I just didn't want to make any promises to you that I personally couldn't keep.

Sounds like I need to research Garmin; might be a company worth investing in for the long haul.

Past performance doesn't guarantee future results :huh:

a66a4dd7-4905-4b06-9f6e-9a63a6254c7c.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo

:laughing:

Got the $50 rebate check today!

It was cut on 1/23/07 and in my hands 4 days later! The Garmin rep said 10- 15 days (~ 2/7), well they did it in 4 days. I am happy camper once again and am pleased with how quickly Garmin responded and handled the situation.

They screwed me out of that rebate to.

I should have made a copy, now i have nothing to back up my claim.

Glad to hear the OP made out ok. For the record, myself and several other people I know didn't have any problems. I had my rebate back in about 3 or 4 weeks, which I was impressed with.

Garmin's CS is a thing of beauty. Probably the best large-scale company I've ever dealt with.

I still have the box that the GPSMAP 60CSx came in and have saved everything – except of course the 60CSx’s UPC code – which was cut off the product box. The $50 rebate was the reason I decided to go ahead and buy the Garmin 60CSx unit. I am currently in the process of trying to get a hold of anyone at www.rebatestatus.com, Garmin and elsewhere who can help me with this rebate offer scam.

Needless to say I am not a happy camper (putting it exceptionally mildly) and should Garmin fail to fulfill its rebate obligation with this customer the 60CSx will be the last thing from Garmin that I ever buy from this wonderful outfit!

:)

Seems like rebateStatus does TigerDirect.. they are very frustrating.. the rebate has to worth the hassel.. Good Luck.. :)

:)

I received mine in about 6 weeks. No problems. I made copies of every thing. I would contact Garmin and see what they will do for you. Even if they dont help, you got a great unit. The $50 rebate was one reason I chose the 60Csx but not the only reason. While I would hate to lose out on the $50, I would probably still have purchased the same unit. I had a Magellan before and enjoyed it, but the last time I had a problem with it the folks there didn't respond at all to any of my attempts to contact them. So far I love the unit, the more I use it and learn about it the more I like it. Sorry you had problems. I hope things work out.

Same thing happened to me, saying no UPC code. I however did make a copy of what I sent but lost it. I called up the rebate place and talked to someone who was very helpful and all they asked me was for my serial number and they said ok your rebate is approved even though it was missing the UPC code.

Call them and give them your serial and you should be golden.

Storm180

Where is the contact information for this rebate place. I purchased both a Legend CX and a Venture CX from Amazon.com. Sent in the rebates forms. BOTH ON SAME INVOICE. Legend CX rebate is valid, Venture CX is not. The UPC code for the Venture CX had a sticker over it, so it can't be read. I considered tearing it off, but was afraid that i would ruin the info on the UPC code. So I sent it as it is, hoping that the rebate center would check it out. I don't hold out much hope for getting this rebate, but I sure am gonna try!! That's my 50 bucks, not theirs.

I just found out my rebate was denied too, for two reasons :( . First because the UPC code wasn't included -- it was -- I have a copy of what I sent them to prove it. Second because of an invalid serial number. The number on the lablel in the battery compartment of my unit is for some reason 9 digits long instead of 8. I didn't know which number to leave off and didn't want to guess, so I wrote all of them down thinking that they'd have the abilitiy to figure it out. Guess not. :D

For those of you who experienced this same problem, and had it sucessfully resolved by calling Garmin directly, could please you tell me what number you called and who you spoke with?

The only number I could find online is for Tech Support. I called and spoke with David. He was kind but unfortunately said the only thing he could do was transfer me to the rebate department's voicemail and for me to leave a message and someone will call me back tomorrow.

An interesting point came up during my conversation with David. I told him that I'm a member of the Geocaching.com internet community and that there has been quite a bit of talk in the geocaching.com forums about the rebates being denied and people are upset about it. He indicated that he was familiar with the orgainzation and commented that "this doesn't make us (garmin) look very good."

Same boat I was in with the Garmin rebate. They said I did not send them a UPC code and I didn't write down my serial number on the paper. So I called the rebate people and demanded they send me a fax of my form because if they had my name they had my serial number. It was on the same form. They said they couldn't do that. I said my UPC was taped to the same piece of paper. Their reply was.

Because you are a valued customer please supply your serial number of your unit. (hold for 2 minutes) Then they say thank you sir your rebate is valid.

Its amazing all the UPC codes that come up missing and partially filled out forms. They need to change rebate companies.

Storm180

My problem was a little different. I received a note in November giving me a URL to check the status of my rebate. The only problem was that every time I would try and access the URL I would get an error message. I finally got frustatrated and sent a message to Garmin's technical support explaining the problem and asking them to forward my request to the proper people. I got a nice response from them advising me that it was a third party, but if I would give them my serial no. they would check on it. I received a note yesterday advising me that the rebates should have been mailed in November and if I would provide them with my mailing information they would send me a duplicate check.

I would have purchased the 60CX without the rebate, but the extra money sure will help.

:laughing:

I had the same run around too. Said the serial number was missing and I scanned a copy of the form before I sent it and checked it and it was clearly printed on it. I went to the rebate link they sent by email and wouldn't work like previous poster said. So I went to the homepage and plugged in rebate number and it pulled up saying invalid, so I clicked on the link to email them that I knew I had the serial # on it and they never emailed me back and within a few days the rebate was valid and I got my check. I think the do this crap to see if anyone will challenge them and if not they keep the money and tell garmin they paid it out, Garmin probably doesn't even know since they're third party. Sorry SOB's in my opinion.

I also avoid rebates on all products. Rebates are:

- Often done by third party companies and prone to error.

- Take more time than I would like.

- Sometimes rejected for no good reason.

- "Lost in the mail".

- Just cause you to be on a junk mail list anyway.

The whole purpose of a company doing rebates is:

- To sell more units.

- To get names and addresses they can sell to other junk mail companies. It's another source of income for them.

I had the same run around too. Said the serial number was missing and I scanned a copy of the form before I sent it and checked it and it was clearly printed on it. I went to the rebate link they sent by email and wouldn't work like previous poster said. So I went to the homepage and plugged in rebate number and it pulled up saying invalid, so I clicked on the link to email them that I knew I had the serial # on it and they never emailed me back and within a few days the rebate was valid and I got my check. I think the do this crap to see if anyone will challenge them and if not they keep the money and tell garmin they paid it out, Garmin probably doesn't even know since they're third party. Sorry SOB's in my opinion.

I do wonder if the company that handles the rebates is scamming Garmin and Garmin customers. There is just too much of this going on for it to be an accident. Garmin probably pays them so much for each rebate and if they can show Garmin the paperwork, but not pay out the rebate, they can make a good penny.

I purchased my Garmin Map60CSx from buy.com around Christmas time and just recently received the rebate check with no problem. I do copy everything. Attached the upc and circled all pertinent info in red pen or highliter. The s/n had one extra digit in which I remember reading about somewhere, perhaps the forums here that suggested adding an additional box to accommodate the longer s/n. I am glad I got mine with no trouble but disappointed for the others here that did not have the same experience.

I purchased my Garmin Map60CSx from buy.com around Christmas time and just recently received the rebate check with no problem. I do copy everything. Attached the upc and circled all pertinent info in red pen or highliter. The s/n had one extra digit in which I remember reading about somewhere, perhaps the forums here that suggested adding an additional box to accommodate the longer s/n. I am glad I got mine with no trouble but disappointed for the others here that did not have the same experience.

A few good news stories out there - mine came last week. I assumed they would lose my upc too.