Pocket Caches are Back?

Criminal

I personally find these pocket and temporary caches distasteful. My own ethics would not allow me to log an event more than once, even if someone around here should begin the practice of pocket caches here, (though I doubt that it would happen).

I have nevertheless learned to be more accepting of others, and how they play the game, even when I disagree with their methods. Their circumvention of the rules for logging unique finds doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of caching.

How's that for sounding noble and judgmental at the same time? :D

A small sampling:

January 21 by name removed

'name removed' found a pocket cache - the big metal snowman (Frosty?)

[view this log on a separate page]

January 21 by name removed

'name removed' found a pocket cache - the little wooden snowman, I didn't get the name of it.

[view this log on a separate page]

At least they call a pocket cache a pocket cache...

gee... I think I found 37,000 caches yesterday, but I just can't remember the names or locations. Oh, well. click, click, clickity, click. Now I have the lead. :D

OK, I can almost understand the logs for temporary caches hidden for the event. Pocket caches and temporary virtual caches, however.

Yuch.

OMG Sbell! Do we actually agree on something?! :D:D

Wow, thanks to you trailgators, I see it and agree too!! :D Ah Wisconsin, just when you think they can't top the shenanigans of the last event, they prove you wrong every time.

Good thing The Numbers Don't Matter.

FUM MATTERS

The true Pocket Caches never left, looks like they had a blast at that event, bet a lot of lifetime friendships were made all started by just having fun

Personally it does not effect me as a cacher at all, and really can’t see how it could effect anyone else not attending that event

Sorry folks but ya’ll can’t stop me or anyone for having tooooooooo much fun, just like I can’t stop all the threads about pockets caches, micros, and on and on, the main reason is that ya’ll are having tooooooooo much fun posting and believe me when I say honestly that is cool by me to.

Everyone playing the game / sport has a right to have fun one way or the other, either by playing the way they want to or trying to shoot them down for doing it, as long as each side is having fun what difference does it make.

It’s still fun, so have fun ya’ll

BTW I like cheese

Joe

What's funny is that this does only affect the numbers people. I could care less about numbers because I don't enjoy finding numbers caches. So I guess I have become either wiser or more apathetic. I'm not sure which one it is but I'm off looking for the gold nuggets that are mixed in with all the gravel! :D

FUM MATTERS

FUM?? :D

FUM. Fundimentally Underhanded Methods. :D

You dog...you beat me to it (I'm not sure I would have thought of the exact same acronym, but I was thinking right along with you...). :D

Fum

Ya’ll assuming again thinking I misspelled FUM but didn’t, go here [link removed by moderator per the "family friendly" rule] just having a little fun with the good old boys shooting folks or their views down

Joe

Edited by Keystone

Is Wisconsin the Focal Point of Untruthfulness?

Wow go figure you are wathcing the whole country and passing judgment. . .

I dont know the answer to your question, but I do know 1 thing:

You dont live in WI

Im pretty sure none of them really care what you think about thier caching activities either.

:D

Passing judgment? I don’t think so, I’m merely making an observation. If you represent an accomplishment, in this case the number of geocaches you’ve found, when you have not, you have lied. It’s not playing the game their way, it lying. They certainly are playing something, but it isn’t geocaching. I know it’s not politically correct to express any negativity, but I’m not going to chuckle and pretend they aren’t a fat pack of liars. If such truths offend your tender sensibilities, move along.

Wisconsin style geocaching. Is that the term for playing it dishonestly? It’s an insult to every honest Wisconsin geocacher.

You dont live in WI

Im pretty sure none of them really care what you think about thier caching activities either.

Passing judgment? I don’t think so, I’m merely making an observation. If you represent an accomplishment, in this case the number of geocaches you’ve found, when you have not, you have lied. It’s not playing the game their way, it lying. They certainly are playing something, but it isn’t geocaching. I know it’s not politically correct to express any negativity, but I’m not going to chuckle and pretend they aren’t a fat pack of liars. If such truths offend your tender sensibilities, move along.

Wisconsin style geocaching. Is that the term for playing it dishonestly? It’s an insult to every honest Wisconsin geocacher.

Agree with you Pto, now am heading home will see what the thread looks like in the morning but am sure it will be the same oh same oh, but are we having fun yet, I am

Joe

FUM MATTERS

The true Pocket Caches never left, looks like they had a blast at that event, bet a lot of lifetime friendships were made all started by just having fun

Personally it does not effect me as a cacher at all, and really can’t see how it could effect anyone else not attending that event

Sorry folks but ya’ll can’t stop me or anyone for having tooooooooo much fun, just like I can’t stop all the threads about pockets caches, micros, and on and on, the main reason is that ya’ll are having tooooooooo much fun posting and believe me when I say honestly that is cool by me to.

Everyone playing the game / sport has a right to have fun one way or the other, either by playing the way they want to or trying to shoot them down for doing it, as long as each side is having fun what difference does it make.

It’s still fun, so have fun ya’ll

BTW I like cheese

Joe

Yep, looks like they had a lot of fun, and that's just cool by me. Funny, my numbers still read the same way they did before those folks logged, and golly, I still feel like I did just as much, and had just as much fun myself. Could it be that it doesn't matter to me at all how they recorded the activites of the day? Oh my! Yep, no knotted knickers here!

Oh, and I like cheese too. On a trip to Wisconsin two years ago, I found out that I really like fried cheese curds, too. Ummm, yum. :D

FUM MATTERS

You dog...you beat me to it (I'm not sure I would have thought of the exact same acronym, but I was thinking right along with you...). :D

Fum

Ya’ll assuming again thinking I misspelled FUM but didn’t, go here [link removed by moderator per the "family friendly" rule] just having a little fun with the good old boys shooting folks or their views down

Joe

I checked out the site you linked...nothing but FILTH!.....SHAME ON YOU.

What else should we expect from sombody who doesn't get the fact that Just because GC.com lets you aquire numbers, that you have to do every sleazy thing in the book to increase them.

Sleazy is as sleazy does.

I sure hope that the 'we dont care what you think" attitude doesn't apply to the whole sate of Wi.

That would be just, Cheesy

Edited by Keystone

I try not to be bothered by those things that don't affect me. Looks like they had fun. While it's not a cache finding method I would employ, my inner hippie says, "Don't worry, be happy", while my inner Kyle, (of South Park fame), says, "They killed caching! Those B@st@rds!" :D If those voices ever agree on something, then I'll be worried.

You dont live in WI

"merely making an observation" is what my wife says she is doing when she goes on and on B**chin about something. I tell her to quite b**chin about something, and she gets to play the "I was simply making an observation" Uh huh. . . . . :D

I still dont understand why it bothers you soooooo much that you spend your time worrying/posting/observing about it ? "Its Wrong" "its cheating" "Its lying" ... Oh the Agony!~!

Your going to Give yourself an ulcer. . . .and for what? "Justice" Ha

And Your "truths" dont offend my "sensibilities" - Your "truths" (Which are simply your opinions) are insulting to "Every Honest Wisconsin Geocacher" - that being ME.

Get over your righteous self man. . . . .

There's something seriously wrong when you can justify someone's cheating. Cheating is wrong. Lying is wrong. There are people in this world that want you to believe that morality is nothing more than personal opinion. If that's the case, this world is worse than I thought.

This whole thing could be stopped in its tracks by implementing one smiley per cache. They can post all the notes they want, but only one smiley.

"merely making an observation" is what my wife says she is doing when she goes on and on B**chin about something. I tell her to quite b**chin about something, and she gets to play the "I was simply making an observation" Uh huh. . . . . :D

I still dont understand why it bothers you soooooo much that you spend your time worrying/posting/observing about it ? "Its Wrong" "its cheating" "Its lying" ... Oh the Agony!~!

Your going to Give yourself an ulcer. . . .and for what? "Justice" Ha

And Your "truths" dont offend my "sensibilities" - Your "truths" (Which are simply your opinions) are insulting to "Every Honest Wisconsin Geocacher" - that being ME.

So if you start plooking the girl in accounting, I guess you can say you’re just being married ‘your way’ and your co-workers should look the other way so as not to spoil your fun, after all, it doesn’t affect their marriages. Bounce that idea off your wife there Romeo.

Oh, and don’t concern yourself with my health, I can be appalled at the deterioration of the game by the Wisconsin style cachers without it actually affecting me one bit.

Count me among those who just can't understand why people need a smiley to have fun. I've had a blast at events, met a lot of great people and made some good friends. Because I only got one smiley out of it instead of 26 doesn't mean I had less fun. Or does it? Hmmmm, maybe I should log some more "attendeds" for past events to see if I really wasn't having as much fun as I could have.

FUM MATTERS

Fum

Ya’ll assuming again thinking I misspelled FUM but didn’t, go here [link removed by moderator] just having a little fun with the good old boys shooting folks or their views down

Joe

I find the fact that you provided this link beneath you Joe...

Linking to a swear word is just the same...this is supposed to be family friendly...

Edited by Keystone
Count me among those who just can't understand why people need a smiley to have fun. I've had a blast at events, met a lot of great people and made some good friends. Because I only got one smiley out of it instead of 26 doesn't mean I had less fun. Or does it? Hmmmm, maybe I should log some more "attendeds" for past events to see if I really wasn't having as much fun as I could have.
:D Exactly!

Actually if I had to log events 50-100 times (or whatever) that would be a PITA and would take all the fun out of it....

I sent the cache owner a message:

I hate to say this, but allowing geocachers to log "fake finds" of temporary caches on your event page is a real shame.

It cheapens the value of a "Found it" log. How can you let cachers increase their find counts by "finding" one day caches?

This forum topic might be worth reading.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=154282

It just so happens the cache page owner has 810 finds, on four event caches.

Edited by Kit Fox

Naw, I'll bet they've attended many more than 4 events. When you log one 20 times for example, it has it's own page while looking at events found by someone through their profile, whereas a "page" of traditional caches that were only logged once would have 20 caches listed.

Naw, I'll bet they've attended many more than 4 events. When you log one 20 times for example, it has it's own page while looking at events found by someone through their profile, whereas a "page" of traditional caches that were only logged once would have 20 caches listed.

Yeah, stop exaggerating, kit! He's logged 810 finds on a couple of dozen event caches, get it right. :D

I was wondering why they had 41 pages of events logs but each page only had one or 2 listings on it! That explains it.

So say a event is listed on 2 pages and it is the only listing on each one of those pages does that means they logged it 40 times???!!!

Yup! The REALLY funny ones are where you see the same single event on 4-5 pages.

I still think that after posted one "attended" log to an event, the system should lock anymore attempts! Then again, that wouldn't make it fun for some people and the whole objective in the game is to have fun....so log 50 more events why don't you.

I agree with the game being fun...so as long as I have fun and log only one attended to an event, then I really don't care what others do.

I still think that after posted one "attended" log to an event, the system should lock anymore attempts! Then again, that wouldn't make it fun for some people and the whole objective in the game is to have fun....so log 50 more events why don't you.

I agree with the game being fun...so as long as I have fun and log only one attended to an event, then I really don't care what others do.

Make it like travel bugs, you only get one stat for several retrieves. People could still enjoy finding temp caches but won't need the burden of having to do all that logging.

Make it like travel bugs, you only get one stat for several retrieves. People could still enjoy finding temp caches but won't need the burden of having to do all that logging.

That is exactally the concept that I am refering to.....I think that should be the case for events!

Ironically the thing I've noticed is that the same folks that complain about the way urban micros are placed are the same ones that are complaining about this. Its as if to say, "Cache my way or don't cache." Myself, I'm not interest in logging an event (or any other cache) multiple times, but I don't care if someone else does. It doesn't affect me, at all.

Yeah, stop exaggerating, kit! He's logged 810 finds on a couple of dozen event caches, get it right. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Whoops 12 events, not four. :rolleyes:

I guess Wisconsin is the capital of the "cheasy geo-cheaters." :lol: