How many finds until...

CM-14

At what point (how many caches), do you start to not recall the details for some of your older cache hunts? I have only found 46 over 5 months so far and can remember all the hunts in detail at this point. I'm wondering when the day will come that I look at a cache on my found list and say to myself: "I have absolutely no recollection of that event..."

The great caches, I remember no matter how many others I have found or how much time has passed.

The less-than-great caches, I often forget within a couple of weeks. To me it isn't a matter of "how many" or "how long".

If you have to look back to the cache page to be reminded of what a particular cache was all about, it probably wasn't all that great of a hunt.

It's weird - I have trouble remembering "important" stuff like coworker's names, deadlines, history... but I can generally remember most details about the caches I've visited. Granted, I only have a couple hundred finds but I do read through my old log entries once in awhile for fun. And like another poster, I will be driving around with my wife and say, "Guess what!!! There's a cache stuck to the back side of that pay phone over there!" Of course she too rolls her eyes and says, "GEEK!"

Pretty much what RK said. I've even twice re-hunted caches, uncertain until I find my name in the log that I've found it before. In my defense one was an urban micro that had moved between my first find and second, and the other was an ammo can that I found in the normal "on trail" way when it was a new hide (and apparently forgot to log) and then bushwhacked over to it a couple of years later with a buddy. Neither of us was sure if we'd found it before, and BOTH of us had. I try to do a better logging job so I don't find myself hunting the same thing twice.

edit typo

Edited by Isonzo Karst

At nearly 1,000 I can remember MOST of the caches well enough to go back and find without a GPS or talk somebody through the find via phoen if needed.

The ones I don't remember are the ones I somewhat regret doing - a park'n'grab here, a lame cache (not only micros) there, etc.

Luckily I've been failry selective in my caches which is why:

1) It's taken me 3 years to get to 1,000

2) I can remember most of the caches

3) I haven't burned out like others with high numbers that I know

I'd much rather caches slower (meaning not finding as many) and have the memories, then hit every cache and have more smilies than memories.

Every since my very first cache find, I've taken pictures of my caching experiences for every single cache hunt (including the DNFs). I not only take pictures of the cache container, but also the scenery I saw on the way to the cache. Granted, sometimes the "scenery" isn't all that impressive (like a shot of the front of a Wal-Mart), but it helps to jog my memory most of the time.

Jim

I still remember each and every hunt, and can USUALLY return to a cache site without a GPS - sometimes on a much easier path. I say usually because there was one time without a GPS that I couldn't even find my OWN cache.

I was once with my wife when she placed a cache. I went back by myself about a week later, WITH my GPS, to "find" it and couldn't find it.

The great caches, I remember no matter how many others I have found or how much time has passed.

The less-than-great caches, I often forget within a couple of weeks. To me it isn't a matter of "how many" or "how long".

If you have to look back to the cache page to be reminded of what a particular cache was all about, it probably wasn't all that great of a hunt.

I could not agree more... :D

I still remember each and every hunt, and can USUALLY return to a cache site without a GPS - sometimes on a much easier path. I say usually because there was one time without a GPS that I couldn't even find my OWN cache.

There was a local cacher that couldn't find one of his hides and he temporarily disabled it. I think he went back with a metal detector and found it.

I was doing just fine with remembering each and every find prior to summer 2004. I especially recall one day when I was stuck in a continuing education seminar, bored out of my mind. I wrote down the names of every cache I had found -- at the time, around 230. I didn't miss any.

What happened in summer 2004? I found 240 caches in a day. Ain't no way I'm gonna remember all of those, so I let go of worrying about it. Yet, I still remember MANY of the caches I found that day, because they were hidden creatively or featured interesting locations.

I would guess that, with the exception of that day and a few other "cache runs," I could still recall the details of a good percentage of my cache finds (as in 85 percent plus) if given just the cache name. Even a ho-hum cache can be made memorable if you're with the right company, or if you find it at night or during a snowstorm, or if you're FTF, or if you don't use a GPS. Whatever it takes to keep it interesting and memorable.

At about 500 I started having some difficulties.

Me too. At 500 I could remember all of them and actually tested myself on this a couple of times. But after that the memory overloaded and huge blocks of caches fell off the face of the earth. But I still have very clear memories of many great caches.