Am I missing something here? Legend Cx vs. Venture Cx...

Alphawolf

The only difference I can discern between the Legend Cx and the Venture Cx (besides the obvious yellow vs. blue color) is that the legend comes with a 64mb memory card and the Venture doesn't? Am I missing something here? The value of a 64 mb microSD card is what? About $3.00? I just had a 512mb delivered to my house for like 10 dollars. In fact, you can't even find 64 mb cards any more. Are people really paying $43 extra for a $3 card? I'm thinking I must be missing something here...

Ahhhhhh! I think I get it! The PC/USB interface cord is not included with the Venture Cx. So...That is worth how much on E-Bay??? About $20? (Including shipping)

So, for less money than the legend, one could get the Venture, a 1gb (or even 2gb if you shop a little) card and the PC/USB interface cable.

I recently seen a 2 GB card for FREE after a rebate.

You're forgetting the Mapsource CD-ROM . . . must be worth another $0.50!!! :drama:

This is all about Garmin having a price leader in this market sweet spot. Magellan has the Explorist 500LE to compete. It scrubs the LiIon battery for AAA's to get under $200.

My Venture Cx should arrive tomorrow, my 1GB microSD [$19] is already here. :laughing:

Edited by MtnHermit

your right, there is No real difference between the legendCX or the ventureCX besides the usb cable and 64mb card being included with the legendCx.

I guess if you don't like yellow is the only reason to buy the legendCX over the ventureCX.

I got a 1gb microSD for $10-after-rebate, and already had a usb cable for an mp3 player. The cables are also starting to show up in dollar stores.

I'm so glad I found this topic!

If I can ask you folks, is the only difference between the Vista CX and the Venture CX the fact that the Vista has an electronic compass and an barometer? And how useful do any of you find it?

I have a Garmin 3+ right now, and the main reasons that I'm upgrading are 1) to be able to put the whole country into the unit (on a 2 gb card) and 2) for on-the-fly routes and route re-calculation. From what I'm seeing on the Garmin website, I can get all that with the "low-end" Venture and just buy my own card and cable, right?

One more question - I see that the site linked to above claims that the Legend and the Vista can be powered by the USB cable - anyone know if the Venture can be powered by USB? (since I have a car lighter->USB adaptor for just such a reason...)

Thanks for any advice you guys may have for me in advance.

Ross - the dwarven one.

Edited by dwarven1
The old compass/barometer usefullness question is a large debate around here and you can search and read the long discussions then make up your own mind.
My personal summary of the topic: Those that don't have them don't seem to miss them. Those that do have them are divided into two (I would say fairly equal) camps--those that swear by them and those that swear at them. For your stated use, they certainly aren't required.
My personal summary of the topic: Those that don't have them don't seem to miss them. Those that do have them are divided into two (I would say fairly equal) camps--those that swear by them and those that swear at them. For your stated use, they certainly aren't required.
That's clear enough, I believe I'll do find without another gadget.

Thanks

Hermit

Edited by MtnHermit